Sleeper Cell

Show Reviews (39)

Great

We need more

By irismuhammad, Jan 03, 2013

My husband and I are very disapointed that there is not a season 3. We are waiting for the next season.

A clever title goes here!

By tech2kman, Nov 13, 2012

Write a quick review to share your thoughts...

not an important cop mseries like csi

By northphilly101, Jan 03, 2011

Terrorists are a lecturing, nagging, smarty-pants bunch on the Showtime miniseries Sleeper Cell, back for a second installment airing eight straight nights beginning Dec. 10. The drama — about a tiny group of extremists plotting jihad in America — never misses a ''teaching moment.'' The Dutch ex-prostitute (Thekla Reuten) speechifies about slavery to Western ideals; the U.K.-bred Iraqi (Over There's Omid Abtahi) rails against racism in England; captured cell leader Farik (The Mummy's Oded Fehr) opines on American guilt before having something very uncomfortable inserted in his urethra. The goal is to make these killers human and therefore more frightening; the outcome is that they seem human and frighteningly long-winded.

The series again has undercover agent Darwyn Al-Sayeed (Michael Ealy) infiltrate a terrorist cell of incredibly broad demographics. He must foil an attack while meeting regularly with his bumbling new FBI boss (Jay R. Ferguson) in a strip-club booth. (Have your little covert op, boys, but be sexy about it!) A series exploring terrorism should feel incredibly entwined — every action triggers something else. Cell introduces, abuses, and kills off characters, but rarely are the ripples felt — the most nettlesome conundrum involves the custody battle of Darwyn's girlfriend, Gayle. Cell dutifully addresses torture, border control, religious extremism, and cultural differences in karaoke. But it hardly enlightens, and it never feels urgent. It feels like a decent cop drama pretending to be something more important.moreless

Superficial with Hidden Agendas

By pboccia, Jun 03, 2010

There is nothing wrong with this ten-hour mini-series that couldn't have been fixed with about seven hours of heavy editting.

One of the first rules of story-telling is that you need to get the listener/viewer to become interested in the characters, to establish some sort of rapport or feeling of empathy. I felt little or nothing for any of them. I couldn't even get any interest vested in the supposedly sympathetic character of Darwyn, a man caught between his religion and his job. He was just, plain uninteresting to me.

Then there were the sub-stories that served no purpose but to consume time...I'm thinking primarily of the affair between Darwyn and the woman with the little boy. There was nothing key to her involvement in the story, why was she there? And did we really need to have the tedious episodes with the Blond guy's mother showing up or the Frenchman whining to his wife after his trysts? These two were just completely dislikable characters, both of whom were two-dimensional and no amount of sub-text was going to make me feel sympathetic to them. I really wanted to shake them, smack them across the chops, tell them to get over it, for cryin' out loud!

While we're on the topic of sub-text, I have to say that I don't like being preached to when I'm paying for entertainment. By that, I'm referring to Showtime's hidden, maybe not so hidden, agenda of portraying 'true' Islam as a religion of peace, handling scenes in the mosque and of prayers with the greatest of dignity while portraying everyone else as, at best, clueless and, at worst, dolts. Were the scenes with the enthusiastic Christian kid handing out pamphlets and his subsequent beating really necessary? Did we really need them to establish the fact that blondboy and the French connection were despicable? No, we did not. That fact was more than sufficiently supported already. The scenes were there to support some writer's notion that Christians are idiots while supporting the notion that these terrorists were somehow noble. Let's not even talk about the lead character's last name, Darwyn (Darwin)...please, you writers are certainly entitled to your opinion, but just entertain me...don't try to indoctrinate me.

This would have made a fairly good action movie if they'd dropped all the substories and kept just the last two hours, worked in some of the ponderous backstory that was the first episode with a smattering of the college student angle. As it stands, however, I'm not racing to add this one to my Netflix queue, and I'm dropping my subscription to Showtime.

moreless

Blistering thriller about an FBI agent infiltrating an American-based Al Qaeda terror cell

By mikenw6, Jun 03, 2010

This is really superb stuff - gripping, intelligent and absolutely stunning in terms of its look at an undoubtedly controversial subject matter. The show was brought to people\'s attention in the UK due to the fact that the London Underground ad was banned for making too much of the fact that its lead character was a Muslim but this is nevertheless a clever move - allowing the programme makers to not demonise Muslims by showing both moderate and extremist opinions.

Compared plenty to 24, the show is obviously still very different in terms of its format, but in terms of how thrilling, how cleverly constructed and how startlingly original the programme is, its arguably a fair comparison.

The show is being released on DVD in the UK on August 18 and I really hope that people take the opportunity to discover a gem they may have missed given FX\'s relatively small audience. If you like not only 24, but also things like The Wire, Prison Break and other compulsive hits, Sleeper Cell is well worth looking out for.moreless

"I left my wallet in El Segundo..."

By scooper549, Sep 29, 2008

If you get the summary that I wrote then you are a fan of the show. Ha...like I am going to criticize someone for not catching the subtle nuances of the show.

Anyways...I got the seasons a while ago and have never had the time to sit and start watching them. I just finished season one and wow, I really enjoy this show so far. I thought that all of the characters did a great job playing their roles. It had (what I thought to be) very little fluff and filler plots that most of the time drive me away from shows. This, to me, especially happens in shows that are an hour long. I rarely could predict the next moves. It is also hard to me to pick out most and least favorite episodes. If you are going to classify this as a "cop drama" it is hard to come by something of this quality. Thank you Showtime, for producing something that leaves viewers thinking. Some people are saying how this stereotypes Muslims in the United States of America or may make people fear Muslim Americans more or plant that fear...I am not going to say that is wrong, but I bring it up more to make the point that I am glad a show is getting people to talk and debate topics like this. Although, if you do believe that come on get real. How often does an episode of CSI (insert city name here) or Law and Order (insert any three letters here) get you to think? Oh wait, are we to give props to NYPD blue for showing fat asses well...ass or saying a naughty word? Hell no, but I guess they are doing what they can do on basic TV. I would recommend the show to anyone...of course there is nudity and off color language that may turn people off, but unless you are really a holy roller (and if you are why are you watching Showtime) you will most likely instantly dislike the program.

I can't wait to crack into season two. Also, I have yet to look into it but TV.com has this listed as a returning series...is it?moreless

Great show, somewhat controversial, and definitely worth your time.

By drek2, Jul 06, 2008

Sleeper Cell is one of those HBO series TV shows where they don't sensor out anything, which helps this series out a lot. Sleeper Cell is about a terrorist cell operating out of a US city with some members being homebrew and some from middle eastern countries it creates a diverse group all with the same objective but one. Micheal Ealy's character is a undercover agent trying to make his way into the cell to help alert the authorities whenever their leader tells the the target after he puts them through some tough tests. This season (one) was originally just planned to be a mini-series but was signed on for a second season. I'd recommend this show to people who enjoy shows like brotherhood or sopranos. Season one consists of only 9 episodes so if you get hooked at least you don't throw away 24 hours of your life like Lost or 24.moreless

As I have know seen every episode of this show, I can officially say that this is one of the all time best shows ever written in its execution and its information that no one is just good or just bad.

By AleroRatking, Apr 25, 2008

Sleeper Cell ran for two superb seasons. Both looked into a terrorist cell from the eyes of Darwin, an undercover FBA Agent who puts it all on the line for his country. He is also Muslim. Throught both seasons you meet the fellow cell mates, none of which who are pure evil in anyway, some have had a horrible past, and other things that help you sympathize with them. See, that is the most important and best part of Sleeper Cell, the other members of the cell. You'll come to care about nearly every one of them. You will also see how Darwin gets stuck in the middle of it all, and it all leads towards the series finale that gives a resolution to this show. Its not the most positive show, and it can a bit intense, but its also an amazing show, and one of the best I have ever seen, even if it only consists of 18 hours of tv, it will not disapoint in anyway.moreless

Sleeper cell is an account of an undercover UC FBI agent working in a "sleeper cell" terrorist group. The goal is to reveal the plot of the terrorist organization, but the cell only receives info on the objective at the last second. You have to watch!

By vibratone, Apr 17, 2007

They didn't have a category for "Addictive" which is what this series is! The acting is compelling, which bonds you to the characters. You feel like you are actually witness to a terrorist plot, and the feeling is spine tingling. The contrast between ruthless Sayeed? and good Darwin creates and constant angst for the viewer - you can never relax until the end of the series. I recommend getting the DVD and watching the series straight through (not all at once) to get maximum effect.moreless

Load More Reviews