Hypnotic

Episode Reviews (74)

Great

Crapville!

By lenzinoH20, Apr 24, 2011

Hypnotic-Clark is hypnotized by a woman who uses a supposedly magical charm to control others - he reveals his super powers and is sent to kill Lex. Meanwhile, Lex has tracked down the missing Professor Fine and plans to confront him, unaware that Clark is coming to murder him.

After watching "Hypnotic", I couldn't help but question if I wanted to continue watching this season. This could have easily been the worst episode of Smallville if it wasn't for James Masters' return as Brainiac! What I don't understand is what the writers were thinking when they thought Clark acting dumber than usual would make for a decent hour of television. Lex hiring a seductress with hypnotic powers to break Clark and Lana up...I mean really?! Of all the things Lex could have done, that's what he uses her for. What about learning the truth about Clark? Wouldn't that have been a better storyline? This episode features some of the worst acting from the cast, especially Tom Welling. This is probably the most I've hated Clark until Season 7's "Sleeper" topped that. Lana just grates to no end and when she finds Clark cheating on her, you're suppose to feel bad for her, but I just didn't care as you know it would resolved at the end. Nichole Hiltz is one Smallville's most horrible guest actors and Simone is one of the worst freaks of the week ever written. I just hated how everyone acted so childish around Simone with her hypnotic powers. Once again, the only saving grace was Brainaic's return. The scenes between Lex and Fine are award winning material compared to the garbage that's the rest of the episode. I loved the teaser with Fine stealing a vaccine from 2 scientists and wrecking havoc in Honduras. Also, the Clana break-up scene was rewarding and pitiful at the same time. Finally, all this Clana angst is done with (atleast we thought it was at that moment!) yet you find it hilarious that the writers couldn't find a better way to break them up. It makes their relationship seem even MORE pointless that it already was. But despite all that, "Hypnotic" is one awful piece of television with some terrible writing, horrendous guest stars, and cringe-worthy performances.moreless

Some wh*re gets with clark and hypnotises him to break up lana... this is beginning to get ridiculous.

Can't directors find anything else interesting than this ball game all the time.

Beginining to really get to me now.

By hannify, Sep 25, 2008

Beginining to really get to me now.

k lk k k k k k k lk k k k k kk lk k k k k kk lk k k k k kk lk k k k k kk lk k k k k kk lk k k k k kk lk k k k k kk lk k k k k kk lk k k k k kk lk k k k k kmoreless

Great Episode

By Beer75, Aug 22, 2007

In Sierra de la Botija, Honduras, Central America, while collecting samples of a deadly virus in a quarantine zone, two men are attacked by Professor Milton Fine. In Smallville, Clark is hypnotized by the beautiful Simone and ends his relationship with Lana. Meanwhile, Lex travels to Honduras and has a meeting with Milton Fine. Lana with her broken heart, visits Lex. In this important episode, Clark breaks with Lana and Professor Milton Fine returns in an evil partnership with Lex Luthor. Lana Lang, with her broken heart, gets closer to Lex and probably this association will harm Clark Kent in the future.moreless

wow...again, clark does the same mistake - push lana away, and this time worse.

By solstice333, Jul 06, 2007

y does clark repeatedly do the same mistake over and over again. i mean, he doesn't have to lie again because jor el's warning about someone close to him is goin to die is over now. he can easily tell lana without risking it. i mean he already know the outcome so wut the hell is wrong with the creators? could they make clark any more dumb? this is ridiculous. i hope they make better episodes because this one is extremely pitiful, and i'm tired of seeing this over and over again. alicia baker and kyla willowbrook were better for clark anyways. it's too bad the creators managed to kill off the good characters so easily. this is too pathetic.....moreless

Clark should move on from Lana and be with Chloe!!

By sugar234, Apr 12, 2007

Clark and Lana’s relationship always seemed so hectic. They could never just happily be together and now it has apparently ended - for about the billionth time. Seriously how many different ways can Clark and Lana’s relationship end? Even though when I saw this episode for the first time I didn’t think it was over for good because it never is. I think Clark should be with Chloe because those to are so close, she knows his secret, she likes him and I think they would make a really nice couple. I also felt so sorry for Chloe when Clark told her he’d proposed to Lana, her face!moreless

Clark should move on from Lana and be with Chloe!!

By sugar234, Apr 12, 2007

Wow. I was a little worried that I was going to be dissapointed witht hisa episode. I mean, Clark is brainswashed and breaks Lanas heart by being with another woman? Havnt we seen this already? But this time, they actually got it right!

By kalofkrypton, Nov 27, 2006

Wow. I was a little worried that I was going to be dissapointed witht hisa episode. I mean, Clark is brainswashed and breaks Lanas heart by being with another woman? Havnt we seen this already? But this time, they actually got it right! Heres my usual breakdown:

Clark: Man it sucks to be you. Things that I wanted to happen this episode almost or actually did happen with him. He almost Superpowered Lex's arse and he broke off his relationship with Lana. (Breathing a heavy sigh of relief) ITS ABOUT TIME!!!!! I think he was to easily seduced. I would have loved him to put up more of a resistance on some of Simones commands. Like when she asks him for his secret or when she tells him to leave Lana. And especially the command to kill. He gave in to easily. I know he's young and not yet Superman but those are things that he should have at least shown a little bit of struggle in his face. Of course Im just notpicking. I did enjoy how he realized, despite him loving Lana, he knew, deep down, she wasnt the one. Lex: What an @$$. Not only did he blackmail Simone, but he sent her after Clark to discover his secret. And to break up Clana. (Of course he's actually my hero for that last one) I love seeing him one step ahead of everyone and manipulating the scene even when he's miles away. This is the Lex of the future. In the here and now. I was suprised that he started defending Clark at the end, but then I realized, it was only a ploy to get to Lana. Lana: I here many people complaining about the way things broke up with Lana and Clark. I have no problems. Youve got to see the story potential that will occur. One one side we have the Zod Squad: Lex, Lana, and Braniac. And on the other side the Jor-El Squad: Clark, Lois, and Chloe. Its gonna be great!!!

Chloe: Clark is damn lucky to have her as a friend. And I hope this episode finally puts to rest the theory that she's still in ove with Clark. I saw absolutly ZERO reaction to her learning Clark was with another woman. I also loved how she "knows" how Clark is. And KNOWS when he's being manipulated. The signs of a true friend. I was also laughing when she knocked Mrs. Kent. It was unexpected and hilarious. I dont think she's ever been knocked out like that.

Lois: Ah, the comedy relief. She does bring something to the show that was missing. I enjoy her more and more. Her being knocked out by Clark has got to be another hilarious scene in this episode. Her use of the sunshades on Simone shows just how resourceful she can be. And that she's not a mindless body.

Simone: Your classic freak of the week. Nothing really special. I dont think she was inherently bad, and she did find Clark interesting. She was good enough to protect Clark secret from Lex and everyone else. But of course murdering your own father puts one a long way from being a saint. Nothing special about her. Just the situations she created. Braniac: Ah the true star of the episde. Despite his short and brief appearances. He returned in a blazing glory...quite literally. The episode finally establishes that Braniac is actually the Spaceship. And that Milton Fine(s) are just his extensions. Lex was lucky to not be turned into a human sized shiscobob in the begining. I love him manipulating the situation for his needs. It shows how intelligent he truly is. He changed his background from Teacher to FBI and left breadcrumbs for Lex to follow. To gain Lex's trust. And in doing so, his company. He looking for samples. Obviously Blood Samples. But what for? How will infected blood help int he release of Zod? Could it have something to do with Kryptonian visitors of the past? This episode set down the groundwork for what can be a GREAT season finale.

All in all, a re-hash of a previouse episode that I would have given s 5-10. But this time they actually did it correctly. And the sub-plot (Braniac returns and Clana break up) makes this episode a 8-10moreless

A blonde beauty hypnotizes Clark. While under her spell he tells Lana he wants to break up with her and tries to kill Lex. When the spell is broken he realizes he has to break up with Lana even though he still loves her.

By zardip, Oct 30, 2006

More than painful it was dumb.

I mean how does it make sense when you think about all the things Clark has said about Lana and done for her that when she asks him point blank, do you love me, he says no.

I don\\\\\\\'t get it. It wasn\\\\\\\'t that long ago that he finally got the courage to reveal his secret to her and propose to her. And he was so crushed when he thought she was dead. If he still loves her like he told his mom, why didn\\\\\\\'t he just say Lana we need a break from her instead of telling her a lie he had to know would crush her?

It seems like part of that phony destiny thing and the people who feed Clark his lines have decided its time to keep him and Lana apart so they can set up some kind of relationship between Clark and Lois.moreless

A young woman comes along with a cleavage and a pendant and suddenly Clark is a changed man? Nothing really makes sense in this episode!

By qstevie, Oct 02, 2006

OK, so Clark is vulnerable to certain things - all the varying colours of Kryptonite - but he's never been vulnerable to the same things as others in the same way.

Suddenly up pops Barbie from nowhere in particular for no particular reason and suddenly just one little word and Clark's anyone's!? It's not even clear that it's red kryptonite in there until the end, and even that wouldn't have the same effect. It makes him bad and rebellious because he wants to be - not controlled by hypnosis.

There are too many plot holes, many of which are included in the notes and trivia. The differences in time, the fact that he's not supposed to have had sex with this woman despite the taking off of as many clothes as they could get away with on prime time.

And why doesn't she reveal his secret? To anyone? How could Lex hope to control her if she's really able to control him at the drop of an amulet? And since her abilities seem caught up in the necklace, why is she so great at hypnosis. Shouldn't it be one of the meteor rock abilities that she's gained or something vaguely believable?

The only rather fun part is Clark knocking Lois out by flicking her head with his finger. The episode needed much more of this kind of insight and humour - or needed a real dark side to it.

It seems obvious to me that the writers were looking for a way to break up Clark and Lana. Unfortunately, now the series has continued (which I'm really glad about), it's becoming obvious because of the Superman legend that Clark and Lana are never meant to be together, so they had to find a way of making sure they aren't. I just think it could have been so much better handled than this very wimpy episode. I haven't watched the final episodes in this season yet, so I'm hoping that this is the last time we'll have to sit through the friends/lovers/enemies/friends/lovers/in-love/broken up/ not quite sure where are now kind of stuff that they've put us all through for the previous seasons. Yes we wanted them to be together. Yes we know they can't be. So stop simpering the pair of you and get a life!

There was such potential here for a great ending to the romance, but I truly believe the writers botched it big time.

Shame.moreless

Here we go again

By Malora, Sep 11, 2006

This week in the Smallville, the town where everyone has long term memory problems Clark gets hypntotised by a blond with red Kryptonite. Re-used plot again from season four when Alice uses it to take control of Clark. But anyways following a series of nasty, confusing and considerable shortsightedness events bang bang the witch is dead and everyone gets on with their life. And something real good happened!

Clark came to his senses and dumped Lana, moodkiller extrodinaire. Whilst Clark made some half hearted attempts to look sad Martha says something some fans have known for ages: If Clark truely loved her he would tell her his secret. She isn't the one!

Whilst Lana, the one who will point a finger but fail to see the three pointing back runs to Clarks not officially sworn nemesis the bald eagle Lex who went off on a jaunt to find Brainiac played by the yummy James Marsters. Following a series of sweaty jungle shots James Marsters runs off in four different directions and Lex comes back just in time to be comforted by the woman any sane person knows he loves.

Oh to be rich!moreless