Plastique

Episode Reviews (29)

Great

Good

By seriesguy3998, Apr 20, 2011

Smallvile Season 9 Episode 2 Plastique. In his first day at the Daily Planet, Clark finds out a bomb in a car. He doesnt reach the place on time and it explodes. Chloe invites an injured 15 year old girl to live with her. At the end it turns out she caused the explosion.

Smallvile Season 9 Episode 2 Plastique I was hoping this episode was gonna be great. It wasnt. It wasnt bad, just good. I was hoping the episode was more exciting, but it wasnt. The episode was interesting, but it wasnt what I expected. It wasnt as good as I expected, and I was expecting awesome. It was much less. Overall, it was good, but the episode could have been much better.moreless

On Clark's first day at the Daily Planet, a bus explodes outside the office. One of the people he rescues is Bette, a teen girl with meteor abilities who bonds with Chloe. Meanwhile, paramedic Davis Bloome arrives and is drawn to Chloe.

By MegEl86, Apr 07, 2009

Recap: On Clark's first day at the Daily Planet, he shows up at work in plaid. Lois forces him to change, before a bus explodes outside the office. Clark rushes to the scene and gets everyone to safety, including his new boss, Tess Mercer, and a teenager named Bette Sans Souci. Chloe arrives on the scene shortly afterward and notices Bette having trouble breathing. Rushing over to the teen, Chloe gets the attention of a paramedic named Davis Bloome, and the attraction between the two is instant. Back inside the Daily Planet, Clark talks to Lois long enough to tell her that police suspect that the bomb on the bus misfired, and to get lectured on Lois Lane's Rules of Reporting, before being summoned to Tess's office. At the hospital, Chloe learns Bette is a "street kid", and invites the fifteen-year-old to stay with her for the night. Bette accepts Chloe's offer, while Clark, having been paired with Lois to investigate the bus explosion, overhears a cop confirming to another cop that there was no bomb on the bus. When Clark questions Bette, she tells him her boyfriend Tommy caused the explosion with a meteor power. However, when Clark and Bette confront Tommy, Bette secretly blows Tommy up with her own ability. Later, Bette accidentally reveals her ability to Chloe, while Lois and Clark realize that Bette not only blew up Tommy, but caused the bus explosion as well. Rushing over to the Talon, Clark stops Bette from killing Chloe, before convincing her to get help at Belle Reve. While on her way, however, Bette's approached by Tess, who wants Bette to join a team she's assembling. Meanwhile, Chloe announces her engagement, and Davis awakens from a nightmare to find himself naked in an alley.

My Review: Surprisingly enough, there was very little I didn't like about this episode. Much like ODYSSEY, it was a very refreshing change of pace from last season, which, really, isn't that hard to accomplish. It was nice to see Clark saving people and going to work at the Daily Planet, and I loved watching him working with Lois, no matter how reluctant he was. In fact, the more resistant he was, the more I smiled. Doesn't hurt that Clark was particularly easy on the eyes, especially once Lois made him change. ;D Speaking of which, what was with the outfit he showed up to work in? He's 22; he should know by now how to dress for work, especially given that he's seen on several occasions how people dress at the Daily Planet. By the way, it was a nice nod to the Superman mythos to have Lois force Clark to change in a phone booth. And speaking of Superman canon, it was cool of the Powers That Be to introduce a character from the comics as the Freak of the Week. I liked Bette, a.k.a. Plastique, especially her hair and clothes, though when it comes to how accurate the character was portrayed, I have no basis for comparison since I don't regularly read comic books. Yes, I do read them, just not regularly. Anyway, the special effects crew didn't disappoint, and I liked Tess recruiting Bette for her own anti-Justice League. Supposedly, the team she's assembling is SMALLVILLE's own version of the Injustice Gang, and will factor in later in the season. As for what I didn't like, I didn't much care for Chloe and Davis's scene at the Isis Foundation. Don't get me wrong, the sparks were *flying* during their first meeting, but at the Isis Foundation, the chemistry between them somehow felt forced. Also, the episode, for all the Clois moments fans were given, was lacking a little of the infamous Clois banter. Other than that, though, I give PLASTIQUE nine out of ten bus explosions.

Highlights: Lois helping Clark with his "wardrobe malfunction," as well as falling into his arms during the explosion; Clark saving people from the wrecked bus; Chloe and Davis helping Bette; Clark and Chloe discussing journalism and Lois; Clark meeting Tess for the first time; Lois and Clark investigating the bus explosion; Bette, without Clark's knowledge, using her ability to kill her boyfriend Tommy; Clark reluctantly helping Lois sneak around the hospital, and Clark getting mistaken for Chloe's fiance; Bette revealing her ability to Chloe; Clark and Lois investigating Tommy's death and figuring out Bette's ability; Clark and Chloe discussing her engagement and Bette; and the final scene with Lois and Clark.moreless

We've got ourselves one fiery episode!

By Milaneh, Dec 05, 2008

To start, I would have to say that I am very sorry that Smallville is becoming so good so late! We finally have Clark acting like a hero and developing a relationship with Lois. I have waited for that ever since Lois joined the show. I really liked Clark and Lois scenes in this episode and I am glad that this is just the beginning of what we know will become of them.

As for the other characters, the idea of Chloe helping meteor infected people is great and it really suits her. I also liked Sam Witwer. I don't know why, but I really liked his acting. And Tess... I don't know what evil plan she's got up her sleeve, but I am already liking it!

All in all, this season has started off pretty great! I really hope they don't do something to ruin the momentum.moreless

Clark begins to work in the Daily Planet and Plastique arrives

By Supermato, Nov 24, 2008

This episode introduces another DC comics enemy Plastique, it was great and the actress doing well. Tess Mercer is forming an Injustice League that will be fantastic to watch. Clark Kent begins to work in the daily planet with Lois Lane and was fantastic their interaction in the episode, this season will be the best I know it and I feel it. Tess Mercer is a beautiful evil enemy and this was the very first episode of Samuel Witwer as Davis Bloom a.k.a DOOMSDAY in Smallville an he do it good especially in the final scene naked in that ally it was awsome.moreless

Smallville takes another meaningful step towards becoming what we all know it is meant to....Superman!!

By scifiguyuk, Oct 05, 2008

Loving Smallville this season! It's so....Supermanny! Love the direction they're taking it, and you just know they're shaping up for one helluva finale! I just hope we hear word on whether this is the final season or not soon. I don't want another Charmed fiasco, where they shoot a series finale only to be picked up again and then have a not-so-great ACTUAL final season.

Anyways, liked this episode (predictable as it was). Although, I do have one question. Does anybody know if there's any significance with yellow roses? They appeared twice and both times the camera seemed to linger. I have a pretty good knowledge of the comic lore, but does anybody know if this is a reference to something I don't know of...? Message me if you read this and have any clue....moreless

The Lois and Clark adventures...

By MovieMark, Oct 02, 2008

Before I begin with the good (and there are many instances), I must voice, once again, how a major story development is handled with such carelessness by this show. Clark's initiation into the world of real journalism, just like Miss Lane's introduction, is sloppy at best, and totally unbelievable. The show has been running for eight years and has had plenty of time to allow Clark natural progression to this stage in his life. What should feel like an accomplishment for him, feels cheap and rushed. Now, I understand the writers are trying to place him where's he's meant to be in order to stay true to the mythos, but if you're going execute it so hamfistedly, why bother?

Having said all of that, I'm enjoying the new Metropolis locations and general feel to the show. How it got to this place may have been wobbly, but there's a certain level of maturity now to the entire production -- highschool is most certainly over! The production design for the blast looked terrific and it was refreshing to have a relatively CGI-free episode for once. Hopefully we'll see disasters of a larger scale as the season progresses.

The introduction of Davis Bloome is handled particularly well. Sam Witwer, known for his role in BSG and his stint in Dark Angel, strikes immediate chemistry with the rest of the cast. So much so it looks like Jimmy might have to look for a new gal, as Allison and Sam really do a great job with the few flirtatious scenes they have. Tess still hasn't really clicked with me yet, but it looks like the next episode will rectify that.

Plastique, unfortunately, is the weakest link here. She's played with sass, sure, but her story rarely convinces. It managed to pique my interest towards the end, with the possibility of a band of villains in the making, thus adding a bit of intrigue to what Tess is up to, but it never cements her intentions. Where Heroes is churning out revelation after revelation, Smallville seems content on spoon feeding, even after all of these years.

Erica looks absolutely stunning in her new get-up, and Tom seems to be enjoying a less angsty Clark - they both dazzle in their roles. I just wish they would have gotten to this point more fluidly, instead of having both characters achieve their goals because they happened to have known someone who just landed them the job.moreless

Another sad episode?

By greenberry26, Oct 01, 2008

I really hate making bad reviews of shows that I would like to watch, but Smallville really is losing its touch. I pointed out in my previous review that Smallville had gone past its Clark-high-school-days era, but they still make these episodes where Clark meets a meteor freak and gives her his favorite speech which always includes the lines "I know what you're going through" or "You're a good guy deep inside".

Another thing that's making things worse is how its cast doesn't regularly appear on the show. They've already lost Kreuk and Rosenbaum, now Hartley and Ashmore are credited as regular cast members, but now they miss the second episode.

I'm not really sure if I'll still watch the rest of the season.moreless

Explode This!

By lenzinoH20, Sep 30, 2008

Plastique-Chloe invites an injured 15-year-old to move in with her. Meanwhile, Clark experiences his first day of work with Lois.

After viewing the trailer for this episode, you pretty much knew this would be filler material. Not only is it is but it reuses the same plots, same characterizations and same situations from so many freak of the week episodes. Now, this is Season 8 writers, I think we need move past those "astranged teenager with powers who goes psycho and Clark tryies to turn them good in the end" crap. "Plastique" could have been fresh re-invention of the minor DC villain but instead the character is turned into Carrie Jr. Not to mention, Jessica Parker Kenndey as Bette was laughably bad in the role!

Yet at the same time, there were some genuine good moments surprisingly. Clark's first day at the Daily Planet was very entertaining at times, especially with Lois and Clark side by side investigating their latest story. I just love the direction the writers are taking with Clark as he seems the most focused and matured in years! Not to mention, finally we see Clark in some REAL clothes, not those tired and severly overused red jacket and blue shirt! Lois was also great, with her usual witty banter and confident plans. Tess Mercer was also good this week and it seems that she might be creating a group of superpowered villains...maybe to find Lex? forshadowing of Legion of Doom? Who knows! But it is an interesting enough development. This episode also marks the introduction of Davis Bloome aka Doomsday. While I'm still quite upset about the writers bringing the killer of Superman onto the series, I have to admit that Sam Witwer is pretty good as Davis and his scenes with Chloe were surprisely good. Only I don't understand why the writers creating yet another love triangle. It only promises more melodrama and I just can't stand scenes were Jimmy is all jealous, ehw!

With a combination of good moments, boring moments, and beyond cheesy moments (Clark's speech to Bette at the end...vomit!) "Plastique" is far for a Smallville's worst hour, but it's a forgettable episode that just adds some more plot lines for the season. I was surprised by Doomsday teaser at the end, but I still don't think the writers can pull the character off...I really don't.moreless

A step in the right direction

By entil2001, Sep 29, 2008

If the season premiere was hobbled by the need to cover too much and explain away some of the cast changes, then this episode was the course correction the season desperately needed. Almost immediately, I noticed a different tone to the familiar storytelling, including alterations to the visual palette, that gave the episode a more confident appearance. The story was classic "Smallville", but there were a few key changes.

The show will never abandon its iconic color scheme, but the new producers seem to have a mission. A number of scenes were filmed in a more realistic manner, particularly any scene filmed on the site of the bus explosion. I found that subtle change to be a lot more engaging than the usual hyper-saturated style of past seasons. (I know this is not necessarily a new technique, but it was used better in this episode than I've noticed for a long while.)

Perhaps it was a matter of balance. In the past, the focus was so much on the sloppy writing that the visual advancements were barely noticed. But the writing was stronger in this episode, particularly in terms of characterization. Tess Mercer felt more natural in her post-Lex role, now that the preliminaries are over and her own agenda can be advanced. The introduction of Davis Bloome was well done, and made sense within the context of the episode.

The writers are focusing on their version of Clark's evolution into adulthood, and I think it's already working. Clark and Lois are struggling to find a comfort zone, and their attraction is more acceptable in the absence of Clark's obsession with Lana. Chloe's evolution keeps her in Clark's world without interfering with his new career. While Lex can never be replaced, I think the new status quo will give the writers room to breathe.

For one thing, Tess is taking the usual LuthorCorp initiatives and moving them forward. Lex was looking for a way to create a super-powered army to combat alien threats, and Tess appears to be pulling together a superteam of her own for similar purpose. There's little doubt that this will turn into a league of super-villains, thus forcing Clark to work more closely with his erstwhile Justice League companions.

This, in turn, should finally bring the series back to where it was in the sixth season, when Oliver Queen was trying to get Clark to see beyond his small-town concerns to global needs. At the time, he was mired in relationship issues. Now, Clark's smaller circle of friends should provide less distraction, and he's roosting in Metropolis. Sooner or later, Clark will have to take that step towards the bigger stage. This episode is a firm step in the right direction.moreless

Load More Reviews