Sacred

Episode Reviews (20)

Superb

I'm tired of the "Lana As A Witch" stories...

By Mann_Slaughter, Mar 07, 2009

I thought I was watching "Smallville". (The story of young Clark Kent before he becomes Superman) Turns out it's equal parts "Charmed", "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" (with VERY bad wire stunts) and "Scavenger Hunt" (a 1979 film comedy) with the torture scene from "Lethal Weapon" thrown in for good measure. The premise of the episode with high schoolers Clark and Lana able to jump on a corporate jet and fly off to China strains credibility. I know the show is fantasy about a teen who lifts cars like feathers, is bulletproof, and shoots fire from his eyes, but come on! SOME basis is reality would be nice. -Slaughtermoreless

Jason and Lex, and later Lana and Clark travel to Shanghai, China, on a quest for a mysterious stone, or element, foretold through centuries of legend and mystery. Who will be first to find it?

By cxtasy, Sep 05, 2008

Clark has given up his football scholarship, and gets a package from Dr. Swann in New York - just as the news reports that Swann (Christopher Reeve in previous episodes) has died. His final note to Clark urges him to contact Jor-El, and the package includes a cave key. When Clark takes it to the cave and inserts it in the proper receptacle, he makes contact with Jor-El, whose voice says that the knowledge of the Kryptonian civilization was encoded on three stones hidden "at the far reaches of the world," and he warns Clark that he must find the stones before any human finds them and destroys the Earth through their power.

Jason calls Lana, telling her he's working for Lex in Metropolis, but we see that's a big lie, as Jason is actually in Shanghai, China. Lex suddenly appears there too, so he's been tracking Jason's movements, and knows Jason has a map from Lionel (last episode) which leads to a Kryptonian stone. Looks like Jason gets two business partners.

Clark persuades Jonathan and Martha that he must find the stones first, despite their misgivings about contacting Jor-El again. Lana seeks Jason's whereabouts from Lionel, who drops the news that Lex and Jason are in China, and he's been studying Lana's ancestor Isabelle. He names Isabelle's archrival as Gertrude, obsessed with finding three mythical stones, but Gertrude found only maps leading to China. Isabelle stole the map, and Gertrude had her executed back in the 16th century, but the spirit of Isabelle lives ("Spell," earlier this season) and is using Lana for her quest. Some pretty important plot clarifications here. Why did Lionel give Jason a copy of the map? To circumvent Lex's quest to find the stones first?

Lionel reveals to Lana that Jason is a direct descendant of Gertrude, a duchess, so Lana and Jason's ancestors have a lot of pre-history. This exchange between Lana and Lionel is critical to anyone wanting to follow the stones storyline, which extends through numerous episodes. How will Clark start his search for the other two stones? Clark sees Lana, who is packing for China - all at the expense of Lionel. Lana can't trust Jason, she says, and Clark insists on joining her. Hey, no airline ticket involved, just per diem.

Over in Shanghai, Jason says he's searching for the stones because Lana will not be safe from his mother until they are found. Sounds plausible - if Genevieve thinks Isabelle is threatening her through a descendant, she's going to pursue that one - Lana - to the death. Just then, Lex and Jason are captured by Chinese federal troops, as Clark and Lana fly along a great circle in Lionel's Hawker-Siddley HS-125. Oops, the interior aircraft shots are from a much larger aircraft. Lana and Clark discuss the stones - Lana thinks something far more powerful exists within her - a foreboding that will become apparent in future episodes.

In a Chinese dungeon, Lex tells Jason that Lionel already had the temple searched and found nothing. While Lex and Jason are undergoing a bit of torture, Lana and Clark arrive in Shanghai and are met by a woman who knows of the map, and they immediately trust her. She describes a legend about an all-powerful god who secured a treasure in the temple centuries earlier but it was stolen by Europeans. The Chinese torturers are discovered to be in league with Lex! But they soon betray him, having sold out their services to a higher bidder. Led to the temple, Clark sees, through an altar, a hidden garment, but it's laden with kryptonite and Clark is disabled. Troops invade and capture Lana and both Lex and Jason spend more time in the torture chamber - the troops demanding to know the location of the stones.

They bring in Lana to the dungeon for some high-voltage treatment, which brings out her Isabelle-witch side and there's no fooling around with this gal! She quickly frees herself, leaving Jason and Lex hanging. Lana/Isabelle knocks Clark for a loop, and she's suddenly dressed in an ornate Chinese gown and headed to the temple. Lex, Jason, and Clark return to the temple, where Lana/Isabelle has a map too - it doesn't show the location of the stone, it shows how the surroundings would look if one were standing where the stone is located, under a tree on the temple grounds. A couple incantations and she digs up the stone. There's a nifty sword fight, but then zap - Isabelle is gone and so is the stone.

Back home, Lana and Clark have a quiet talk about the events - everyone revisits the situation as this week's epilog, including Lex and Lionel, and Jason and Lana. As a last kicker, we see that Jason is the one who secretly retrieved the stone, just not sure we can trust this guy. In the final scene, Clark is in the cave, with the key and one stone. Any Smallville fan can't miss this episode - many major story developments have been revealed this week, so see it again. Re-run rating A.moreless

Best episode of Smallville.

By Canogaparkcindy, Jul 11, 2008

I like this episode because i like episodes when Lana turns into a witch. It makes her more dangerous and you don't even know if its Lana or Isabella. She has kick but moves which can kill Clark. I also like the part when there shocking Lana and everything goes in slow motion and then automatically she turns into Isabella. I also like the part when Jason was in China talking to Lex on the phone and Lex was really right behind him. That was funny. Its cool how Jason and Lana make up at the end. This episode was awesome especially when Isabella (Lana) and Clark were fighting.moreless

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Lana

By lenzinoH20, May 23, 2008

Sacred-After Clark receives a message from the recently-deceased Dr. Swann, he and Lana follow Jason and Lex to China in search of one of the kryptonian crystals. Lana is tortured, causing Isabelle to emerge and wreak havoc in her search for the crystal.

Okay, at this point, the whole stone search storyline has only been hinted on and never fully developed. This storyline came out of no where at the beginning of the series and was never really hinted on in the previous seasons. But whatever the case, the stones themselves and the power they hold make for an intriguing premise and "Sacred" kicks up the whole stone storyline to another level. While "Sacred" has it's plot hole and lackluster moments, it's overall a great ride from start to finish. The episode begins with a touching tribute to Christopher Reeves (the actor died in late 2004 I believe) as Dr. Swann is found dead and Swann has sent the octagon key back to him. Clark goes to the caves and uses the key to talk to Jor-El, who tells him he must find all 3 stones before they get into the wrong hands and cause destruction.

It's a refreshing change for the series as they writers take most of the cast to China. This could have either been a huge mistake or a success, and luckily, the new setting works well for the episode. The scenes of Jason and Lex running through the streets of Shanghai are undeniablly entertiaing as well as watching them get tortured by the Shanghai police. It was a nice little twist with Lex working with them at the beginning only for them to turn on him in the end. I loved Lionel througout the episode, giving Lana hints about the truth about Jason and his affairs. The character has been pretty quite since his release from prison and I'm glad the writers are having him manipulate the characters' decisions, like how Lana choses to go to Shanghai. Of course, it's quite far-fetched how Clark and Lana could get away with going on a jet to China with their parents just letting them go, but at this point that's only a minor plot hole. Also, I wonder how the ancient armor of a Chinese warrior could be covered with kryptonite? It's never explained why in this episode and most fans speculate about it. Then there, when Lana gets tortured by the Shanghai police, Kristin Kruek acts as if she's getting a shot from a doctor and not tortured to death!

But despite those faws, the episode progresses the main arc of the season well and Isabelle's return isn't that much suckfest as it was in "Spell". While Kruek still plays the character over-the-top, at least Isabelle moves the story along. the discovery of the map being painting all along is a good twist and I love the shot of the map becoming the area where the stone is hidden. There are also some great special effects with the energy throwing from Isabelle and Clark superspeeding about. The rather poorly choreographed fight sequence between Clark and Isabelle can be overlooked as we don't get that many fight scenes like this one Smallville. But yet, how the hell did Isabelle know how to fight? Anyway, I was a bit of a shock that Jason got the stone afterwards, at least the writers are making him smarter. Minus it's share of plot holes and inconsistent storytelling, "Sacred" is a great episode the moves the stone search arc forward with a wonderful setting and entertaining special effects.moreless

After receiving a message from Dr. Swann, Clark and Lana follow Jason and Lex to China, where the four race to find the Kryptonian Crystal of Air. When Lana's captured and tortured, Isobel emerges and wreaks havoc in her search for the crystal.

By scorpionqueen86, Nov 29, 2007

Clark receives an envelope from Dr. Swann, just as a news report announces Swann's death. Inside the envelope, Clark finds the octagonal key, as well as a note urging him to seek out Jor-El. In the Kawatche Caves, Jor-El informs his son of three Kryptonian stones hidden around the world, and warns that Clark must find the stones before humans unite them and bring about "Earth's ultimate destruction". After learning that Jason and Lex are in Shanghai hunting for one of the stones, Lana and Clark follow and join the search. However, when all but Clark are captured and tortured, Isobel emerges and escapes, wreaking havoc in her own search for the stone. Meanwhile, Jason steals the stone after it's uncovered and hides it from Lex and Clark; and Lana learns that Jason's ancestor was Duchess Gertrude, Isobel's archrival and fellow hunter of the mythical stones.

I loved the fighting scenes, the change of scenery, and, for some reason, the return of Isobel. It was interesting to see how Lionel factored into this episode, but then again, Chloe was unexplicably absent and Lex was already off in China, so Lana had to get her info from somewhere. I agree with Lex, though, that Lionel's true motives are still unclear. I'm not totally convinced that Lionel's done a moral 180, but that's not entirely a bad thing. The writers have to keep us on our toes somehow. Anyway, I give this episode nine out of ten stars. It would've received a perfect ten had viewers not had to endure so much of Lex, Jason, and their supposed intentions towards Lana.

Highlights: Dr. Swann's message for Clark; Clark visiting the caves to speak with Jor-El; Lex catching up with Jason in China; Lionel informing Lana of Jason's whereabouts and family history; Clark surprised to find Lana packing for China; Clark and Lana's conversation on board the LuthorCorp jet; Lana and Clark arriving in Shanghai; Clark and Lana searching the Chinese temple; Isobel possessing Lana (again); Clark freeing Jason and Lex, then showing them what he found; Isobel unearthing the stone, and her ensuing fight with Clark; Lana and Clark discussing the day's events; Jason showing Lana the stone; Clark informing his parents on the two remaining stones; and Clark in the caves, remembering Dr. Swann's words.moreless

I don't like this episode at all, it's very badly written, not credible, even the casting is quite lousy......

By viidu, Oct 23, 2007

What happened to my favorite show? The story of this episode is the worst for the show up till now. Nothing makes sense any more.

It seems that all of a sudden, the whole story is about the three precious rocks. But we aren't even informed before this episode. And all of a sudden, it seems that everyone is chasing after them and some of them has already chased them long time ago.

And the casting, that's a pure catastrophe, being a native Shanghai, it's awful to see my city pictured in such a lousy way! Hope that the show will become better!moreless

Great Episode

By Beer75, Aug 22, 2007

When Dr. Virgil Swann dies, Clark Kent receives the octagonal metallic disc through mail. He goes to the Kawatche caves and after inserting the disc in a stone, he hears Jor-El ordering him to find the knowledge stones to protect planet Earth against destruction. Meanwhile, Lex Luthor and Jason Teague are in Shanghai trying to locate one of the stones. Lionel Luthor gives a copy of the map and an airplane to Lana Lang, and together with Clark, they travel to China and meet Lex and Jason arrested and being tortured in a temple. When Lana is captured and also tortured, Isobel returns to protect Lana's body.moreless

Looking back on this episode I have to wonder - where did it come from ? The script seems to be poorly written, and it is as if the writers suddenly remembered they have to have a season ending move on..

By nudrch, Mar 30, 2007

With time, I've become addicted to the series.

Watching all the episode from beginning to end for the second time, this episode caught my attention with its poorly written plot. I keep thinking - where did this episode come from? If you did not read the Trivia part yet, I suggest you do, because they have several things from my mind pin-pointed: * Lex's treatments after got poisoned

* Clark uses powers poorly * Isobelle character is inconsistent. But inconsistency is NOT the biggest problem in this episode. The writers simply lost it. The most troubling part for me in the whole serie so far is the professor's monolog! - which has nothing to do with storyline, but simply needs to be well written, even that requirement was not fulfilled this time, and in my opinion it's a trivial one for a WRITER! In the monolog - the professor keeps referring to the strone as "treasure" and doesn't mention a stone. However in the last sentence she says (out of the blue)"as long as the stone is still there.." - And I keep pounding my head asking my self - why? why couldn't they just write "the treasure" one more time. For all the other "mistakes" - I could somehow let them go, brushing them off as if "they simply didn't show it, but it doesn't mean it's not there".. I mean not all has to be shown in a clear way. Maybe Lex treats himself in another way or maybe he finished all treatments, and maybe Clark is just not experienced yet as a fighter (think about it), and maybe Isabelle did keep Lana safe all the season - because otherwise you have to ask youself - how did she survive? Not everything needs be explicit... But there's no escaping poor writing. The professor's monolog is poorly written, and the mistake that was made is so trivial, I have to ask - who wrote it ? Because usually the writers of smallville are much better than this. And there are so many people working on the show (even the actress itself that played the professor could catch this error easily), but still this error slipped in somehow. For those of you who watched the episode again and still don't know what I'm writing about - The character refers to the stone as "the treasure" and doesn't reveal that it is a stone. Without that last sentence, it is mandatory to understand that it doesn't know about the 3 legendary stone, or at least she assumes Clark and Lana don't know it is a stone, and simplifies the story and uses "the treasure". In the last sentence the character uses the words "the stone", and none of the characters finds it strange that this is the first time a stone is mentioned.. No matter how you look at it, it's a huge mistake to use the words "the stone" here. And I can't find any other way to explain myself better.moreless

The smallville crew, minus chloe and the kents, go on a quest in china.

By crazypenguincp, Feb 11, 2007

In my opinion this was a pretty bad episode. There were a lot of fatal flaws and this episode continued the streak of bad dissapointing episodes since pariah. First of all, there was no chloe- I missed her sly-in-her-opinion-but-really-obvious comments about clark's powers, but thats just me- it kind of reminds me of how i used ot flirt before I really got it down. Then there was the really bad matrix/crouching tiger hidden dragon style fighting later. And the whole thing of even being in china- I just didn't like it. Only two things really saved this episode form dipping below a six- lana turning into isabel and the rocks.moreless

This is a good series. I lost this episode

By rsg67, Nov 17, 2006

This is a wondrefull history and I remember when I was young and went to the movies to see superman. The series is amazing and I try to dont loose any episode. Unfortunatly I lost this one and here in Brazil they dont repeated again.

This is a wondrefull history and I remember when I was young and went to the movies to see superman. The series is amazing and I try to dont loose any episode. Unfortunatly I lost this one and here in Brazil they dont repeated again.moreless

Load More Reviews