Smith

Show Reviews (82)

Great

From the very beginning I thought This was one of the best Programs I've ever seen. But like most I've been totally entertained by, they've been gone in a heartbeat.

By Realcasual, Oct 23, 2011

The casting, writing, story plot and production was way, way aboveboard. Thus the quality of the production had little to do with its hasty demise. However I firmly believe that Smith's demise was do to the thing that's sweeping our nation like Locus in the springtime...That being Political Correctness. Think about it, the bad guys were better at winning the day. Can't have that happening, can we...?

CBS ignores the two main rules and under appreciates the work it takes to make a villain show be successful.

By bmoshier, Jan 25, 2011

I liked Smith both in concept and the execution of its action. Smith, though, never drew me into the characters enough for me to want to know more about them.

CBS under appreciates the work it takes to bring people into a new concept - criminals as main characters. The writers failed to connect the viewers to the characters. The number of characters on Smith is normal for a TV series, but connecting viewers with an "anti-hero" requires extra work. The series had too many villain stars. Writers and producers must give the viewers a moral grounding and understanding of the villain stars.

For awhile I thought this new concept (villain stars) wasn't possible, until I saw the new Showtime series Dexter. The Dexter writers, producers, and actors connected the viewer to this vigilante serial killer very quickly in the pilot. The story line makes it easier as there is only one "good guy villain" in this series. Viewers don't have to justify the actions of several characters.

Some might ask is the only way to create a successful criminal show to do it on a pay cable channel, where restrictions on content are lower. The answer is NO!

CBS should take an example from "It Takes a Thief." A broadcast series based upon one criminal is easier, but there also must be some social redeeming value in the main character. Dexter only kills other killers and while it’s an inappropriate action, the viewer realizes he is trying to channel his dark personality to help society not harm it or innocent people.

The lead character must involve the viewers in the planning and execution of his jobs, while not assuming the viewer will all of connect the dots. Unanswered questions are ok for awhile and answers that raise new questions are ok. In the end, though, the viewer requires all the answers concerning the leader character’s character and his jobs.

A new version of "It Takes a Thief" without the main character working for a government agency would be interesting. The series could be about the original thief's Son. He decided to go into the family business and has yet to get caught. The writers would need to develop his personality and abilities in depth and quickly. The viewer must connect on a social, emotional, and intelligential basis. In addition to his life story, the thief must instruct the viewer step by step on his individual jobs.

Not until those who design shows realize these two important facts will broadcast TV have a successful villain based series. Smith failed to take heed of these basic obligations to the viewer.moreless

Edgy, dangerous and smart with an absolutely fantastic cast

By allyp182, Nov 25, 2010

When I first heard of this show, I immediately wanted to see it because of the amazing, high-profile cast. Ray Liotta, Virginia Madsen, Amy Smart, Shohreh Aghdashloo & Jonny Lee Miller in the same show? Too good to be true. In the first episode, you could tell that Smith was cutting edge, pushing the boundaries for cable TV. The protagonists were ruthless thieves who you loved to hate - unlike protagonists who are generally good and moral people who screw up once in a while. The main characters on Smith would be considered the villians on the crime dramas CBS usually airs, which was what made Smith so great. It went there, it was different. It's so easy to be the same, make a crime drama about moral detectives and lawyers who put the bad guys away. This show blurred the lines between good & bad. Bobby, the leader of the group of thieves and the main character, really loved his wife and kids but his life was so bland, you can understand why he needed some excitement. Another similar show, Heist which was axed as well, was all style, action, explosions and no character development or uniqueness like Smith. Smith was on the same caliber as the early seasons of The Sopranos.

Smith was exciting, fresh and one of the most original dramas I have seen on TV in ages. But the general public of America wasn't ready to sympathize with the bad guys, which is why it got the axe. It's just too bad people enjoy conformity and sameness, or this show would have been a hit.moreless

Smith is a high flying and fast paced action series that depicts the lives of normal people, who are incredibly skilled in executing high level crimes.

By TheAgency, Nov 25, 2010

Unfortunately, Smith was cancelled by CBS after only eight episodes, 3 of those episodes were shown on the air. However, it still was a very exciting show because it shows the lives of people, who are very deceptive and secret in plotting and executing the most elaborate and dangerous crimes in thief such as stealing priceless paintings or millions of dollars of gold. Each member lives a normal life, but the secret life of executing crimes is very meticulous and dangerous in crafting the thief of priceless materials. The show is centered on a normal salesman named Bobby Stevens, and he is manipulated by a woman that makes deals with him to steal items in for exchanged money, and he shares it amongst his crew. They are being chased down by the FBI after the first heist that ended in the death of one of their crew members during the heist and stealing priceless paintings. Overall, it was a good show, but it just didn’t get the ratings.moreless

What the hell man!

This show was by far the "attention grabber" of the season. I have seen so many crappy shows that pilot and actually make it through their first season only because of the mainstream sponsorship association, it makes me

By Smithed-OFF, Nov 25, 2010

Smith was an incredible show from the writing, directing, casting and acting. It was nice to see that after all the years of "Survivor" and "CSI" inspired shows that someone in hollywood actually had the inspiration to put this show together. This show was the ultimate reality game....because it really does happen!! Unlike the staged reality shows and beefed up investigator field work that we see on tv today. The problem that I see here is that the corporate advertisers and sponsors for this show are afraid of everything that they can't control. If..I..were.."Michael..Moore"..I..would..say,.."bring..the..troops..home..and..let's..watch Smith"...........At..the..end..of..the..day..a..show..about..crime..is..still..crime. It's..just..way..less..organized!!

You do the math.moreless

Why??????

Why would you pull one of the best shows on TV. I rate this with Alias, CSI, Lost, and even Heroes.....

Please bring it back!

I know they filmed 6 episodes, so at least let us see the other three.

By TrailMankey, Nov 25, 2010

Movie quality TV. They are 1 hour movies, Loaded with Movie actors and even has a movie budget. One of the best TV shows to come out this year... Second to only Heroes.

\\\"Heat\\\" on TV.

I miss it already.

Action packed, Well acted, great script.

Booooo CBS Booooo

You are way offside on this one.

Why??????

Why would you pull one of the best shows on TV. I rate this with Alias, CSI, Lost, and even Heroes.....

Please bring it back!

I know they filmed 6 episodes, so at least let us see the other threemoreless

bring this show back

By keywest06, Nov 25, 2010

This show was one of the best i have seen this year, this show needs a second chance.

This show was a sure hit in our family every week.

I believe this show was in the same catagory as Alias fantastic.!!!

Great writers and actors in this show for it to not make it blows my mind..im not sure what they are thinking here in pulling this one off..

A cartoon show will last 4 or more seasons but yet a good show like this they are taking it off.

Im sorry but really what is this coming to when cartoons are taking the place of good old fashion tv programs..moreless

Please bring Smith back i just loved that show,couldnt wait until I got home. it is a show that is mixed, with crime, passion, adventure. this show has so many roads to take . Bring back Smith please.

By lilly444, Nov 25, 2010

I really liked the adventure that this show was taking in just the few short shows that it was on, but you get to see what crime life is all about and the problems that it can bring home. Please bring back Smith, Please bring back Smith, please bring back Smith.

Liked it more and more as it went on.

By JBBO3314_basic, Apr 18, 2008

This show started slow but picked up toward the end. When it was over I had myself a new show to watch but this happens ever year lets see how many of them last. Smith is a swift high tech heist show which I enjoyed. I haven't seen a heist show that I've liked in a while(not that theres been many) but it seems like a keeper as long as it keeps an audience.(Update: Smith was canceled after 3 weeks airing, how impatient is that?) It really had the makings of a good show but it just couldn't find the audience.moreless

Load More Reviews