So You Think You Can Dance

Show Reviews (216)

Great

So you think you can laugh at dancers 2

By AlexMorales4952, Jun 16, 2015

I totally agree with everything that was said by nmsblais, on Jun 03, 2015 for Mondays episode where Jaden Zierra from Orlando, Florida auditioned. I felt insutled and disgust with how all three judges showed such disrespect and so little focus on his audition. Especially Paula. I am very suprised that Nigel took part in it. You can see in his face how humiliated he felt that at one point he almost walked away but still kept his dignity and poise and audtioned. If Mary Murphey was there I believe he would have been given a ticket. I may not be a judge but I think he did good enough to get a ticket and he brought something new to the table. He should be called back and apologized too and given a ticket for this lack of professionalism that I have never seen before on the show.moreless

Bring bck Mary Murphy!!!

By BobFindley, Jun 16, 2015

I miss Mary Murphy. Paula is not a good judge. I have watched So You Think You Can dance since it began, it was always the highlight of my summer TV watching. Not this year! I cannot stand all the street dancing. I will no longer watch.

TIME TO STOP THE MUSIC! NEW "SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE:" LOST THE BEAT, OUT OF STEP, SAD TO WATCH!

By gaydiplomat, Jun 12, 2015

As a fan since the first show, I'm truly disappointed at the "hot mess" the new version of "So You Think You Can Dance" has proved to be. I've watched two shows and given up. The idea of two competing categories of "STAGE" and "STREET" undermine the basic premise to showcase dance and encourage all contestants to expand their talents. The competition shouldn't be between styles of dance but between talented dancers learning to perform all styles.

In addition, the new judges are a disaster. I've been surprised to see them laugh at, rather than with some of the contestants. It was humiliating for the audience as well as the young dancer, who performed Ballroom/Hip Hop, to listen to Paula Abdul laughingly mock everything about him before he could even dance. Never seen that kind of treatment to previous contestants. Even Nigel, who is usually sensitive and supportive, failed to help the dancer. Jason Derulo is clearly uncomfortable with evaluating some of the male dancers and even said to one, "you just not my kinda I suspect he protests too much! He has a lot more in common with that contestant than he wants anyone to know. The old fun show full of hopeful contestants, encouraging judges, and great dancing has become one of snarky comments from judges chosen for their "supposed popularity" with no regard for their ability to articulate dance criticism. Twitch would have been a better judge than Jason, and any of the talented choreographers for the show would have been better than Paula Abdul. I prefer to watch reruns of previous seasons when talent was the priority, not beingmoreless

So you think you can laugh at dancers

By nmsblais, Jun 03, 2015

New formula. We'll have to see how all that works out. I really enjoyed watching the dancers, all of them, strutting their stuff. At some point near the end while watching the 12th season's Premiere, I realized that I was smiling ear to ear, and had been from most of the show.

However, not during all of it. I smiled less when Paula Abdul laughed uncontrollably at the dancer with the tie.

I know. She said it wasn't because of him. Nevertheless, that's what it looked like and I felt really bad for him. How humiliating it must have been! To his credit, he took it with equanimity and grace, though I did see several flickers of bafflement and sadness in his eyes.

What is even more shocking is that the producers decided to keep the whole laughing episode. Really? The laughing uncontrollably could have been edited out.

I can't help thinking that keeping that segment is tantamount to humiliating someone on social media. I mean, everybody who looked at the show saw this! Makes me miss Mary and her kind, loving professionalism and sense of humor.

And Paula Abdul being famous, won't the whole situation be exacerbated considering how copycating someone who's famous is a national passtime? . Paula Abdul laughed at this dancer, so it must be OK for everybody to laugh at him! Isn't this somewhat comparable to bullying?

Imagine what this dancer will have to endure when he goes back to his school, to his neighborhood! I think that it was bad judgement and lack of compassion to have kept that segment from Monday's show. A learning opportunity for the show's crew.

And in my opinion, it would have been a nice gesture to give the dancer a ticket to Vegas as a means of atonement... In spite of how very awful he must have felt, he did his number... and it was sort of a cute one.moreless

Judges 0

By CindyAytes, Jun 02, 2015

It is the natural process of evolution that things change and hopefully improve. That is CERTAINLY not the case with the decision to oust Mary Murphy! To replace her with Paula Abdul??? Really? As a guest judge, fine, but she is NOT one who has the well rounded experience of a tried and true dancer, nor is the other judge currently sitting on the panel. Nigel and Mary are long established professionals who are experienced on the proper form of dance. This will seriously affect the quality of the show and the continued appreciation for the talent of the dancers. What a HUGE mistake!!!! Very disappointed!!!moreless

season 11

By Pamelakay123, Sep 09, 2014

Stop this screaming and whistling is so distracting! I'm so annoyed and distracted it takes all the joy out of watching the dancers!!! There so wonderful and amazing why would you ( the producers of this show) allow this.. It's reminding us of other shows. For god's sake give the dancers some respect, wait till their performance is over!! I cant hear anything but the screaming! Don't ruin this show! I have many acquaintances who are complaining of the same thing. Sad to say, some have stopped watching the show. Seriously to those of you controlling this show, shut the audience up....moreless

Really disappointed in Season 11 - have the judges lost their minds?

By faithbronaugh5, Aug 29, 2014

I agree everything last poster MariaMichelle said. I really wish the producers wouldn't even put tap dancers in the top 20. Zack is pretty darn good but it's obvious he has had training in other styles. Valerie, on the hand, should not have even made it into the Top 20 much less the Top 4. She is several levels below any other dancer in the competition in ability or style. Some may defend her lack of technical ability by pointing to other seasons where street dancers won, such as Fikshun or Russell. Big difference there. Fikshun and Russell were both immensely talented and amazing in their own styles. I wish Season 11 had had a Fikshun or a Russell would have made a much more interesting show.

Nigel has always annoyed me, but never as much as this season. During one episode he shredded poor Marquet to pieces (though I thought his performance was charming), then went on to praise Valerie for committing much worse technical faux pas than Marquet ever did. I can't believe he saw the same performance I did.

Finally MariaMichelle, I was beginning to think I was the only sick to death of Ricky's leg extensions. I didn't notice he was using only his right leg, though. LOL!

moreless

This year was horrible, I am sorry. and the finale, that I waited for all week, a complete let down.

By mariamichelle9, Aug 28, 2014

What the heck is going on this year. I mean they are all NOBODY is really jamming the floor, and honestly I cannot believe that I was fast forwarding over dances. None of the judges are really that excited, it is so obvious. Mary Murphy, is giving compliments, that seem to be forced. No they are forced, fake, and a complete let down this year.

If Ricky does one more right leg extension, I am going to shut off the tv or watch a movie. Can he do that with his left leg? Nope, haven't seen it yet. Here is my prediction. They want tappers to win this year, obviously. Sad to say, tapping was or is exciting to the age group now from the 40s and 50s, who are now in their late 70s or early 80s, honestly the people really watching the show are not that excited over it. I was a tapper , even went to college for dance in Philadelphia..... Yes tapping is hard, but boring now. Honestly I liked the show better when thier was a group of guys and a group of girls. There really isnt anybody in the finale that is that outrageously good this year. Complete let down. I hope they fix this next year, because I've never been this bored with this show. There isn't one dance, (with the exclusion of Zack, a little?)that covers a huge part of the dance, floor, again, boring, a let down, nothing special, and probably will not watch next year. What a bummer. Looking for a movie on a pay channel instead and turning it off. Jessica and Ricky probably should win, but again, nothing that great, but watch valerie and zack take it cuz they are tapping , They never had tapper winners, guess they are trying to be different. Who cares, they ruined it this year.moreless

Never too old to learn

By mcritz1, Aug 26, 2014

71 years old and never knew or cared about dance until my wife and I started watching SYTYCD. Watched season 1 and haven't missed an episode since. Most entertaining show on TV. Amazing talent and beautiful choreography. I feel like I've received an education in dance. I know I could be a better judge than some of the big name singer/actor judges who don't know anything about dance. Their flippant cliche comments are embarrassing (almost as bad as Randy Jackson on AI). Especially enjoyed Misty Copeland. I'm too old to do much dancing (although my twist always draws a crowd at wedding receptions) but I have gained a great appreciation for dance because of this show.moreless

Season 11 sucks

By brooklynnserenity, Aug 24, 2014

The best seasons were 3-10. 1 and 2 were good also, but each year continued to get better than the last one. Season 11 is no where close to any of the previous seasons. I stopped watching especially after the best female dancer on the show this season (Tanesha) was booted off.

Load More Reviews