The Coon

Episode Reviews (32)

Great

Who is Mysterion, seriously?

By AdrenalinDragon, Apr 26, 2011

"The Coon"

Grade: A

One of the funniest and best parodies of Dark Knight and Watchmen. South Park's The Coon had you guessing, and tricked you at the end cleverly with no resolution, but nevertheless the episode was well plotted, had good quotes, and funny moments.

The story begins narrating from Cartman about a superhero who stays at night cleaning up the garbage, dressed as a raccoon, called "The Coon", who incorrectly mistakes crimes at non-issues (people kissing normally as "raping" for example). "The Coon" tells the police about the town's situation of South Park. "The Coon" is of course Cartman, but nobody cares or wants to know who his real identity actually is.

The next morning, Cartman does a presentation on "The Coon" and tells him if they want to meet him, then they tell them to meet him on the rooftop. Cartman as "The Coon" shows up, and discovers another person in a costume. This person claims to be "Mysterion" and Cartman assumes its Kyle, Craig, or Clyde. Mysterion never reveals himself and guesses "The Coon" to be Cartman straight away because "he's fat".

Cartman, annoyed by the next day, of not knowing who Mysterion is, decides to focus on setting up a "Coonicon" on where "The Coon" shows at at a comic-con like convention. Nobody shows up and the staff already know who he is, which annoys him.

At night, Cartman notices Mysterion telling the police about the status of the town, and confronts Mysterion to stop and reveal himself. Mysterion throws some fireworks on the floor to get away, and Cartman says they are illegal in Colorado.

Back at school, Cartman questions everyone on who Mysterion is (with Wendy opening a possibility of Mysterion being a girl as well) and doesn't find the answer, so he decides to go to one person who might know the answers: Professor Chaos.

At Professor Chaos' hideout (Butters) Cartman wants to get rid of Mysterion, but Chaos doesn't know if he should trust him. They decide to team up and Chaos claims to be getting closer in finding who Mysterion is, again also looking on who "The Coon" is (with only 3 identities to pick from, one of them being Cartman). Cartman has a plan to get rid of Mysterion once and for all.

Meanwhile, Mysterion enters Kyle's bedroom and asks for his help, due to being the "smartest kid in the class", and needs some information from him.

"The Coon" and "Chaos" are at a hospital with explosives (similar to The Dark Knight) and demand that Mysterion reveals himself, otherwise the hospital will blow up. Mysterion shows up and asks Chaos why he is doing this. Mysterion and Chaos end up in a small fight, when Mysterion seemingly is "killed". Mysterion gets back up and "The Coon" shows up, telling him he wants to stop Professor Chaos as well, and they hit him on the nose, making his nose bleed and run away as a result.

"The Coon" tells Mysterion that he needs to reveal his identity, because the longer he doesn't, the more crimes will be comitted due to wanting to find out his identity, and for the "greater good". Mysterion reveals himself at the end, but because his/her face is similar to every one in South Park, there's still no way of knowing who it is. Cartman goes "I knew it was you" and Mysterion gets arrested for being a vigilante, allowing "The Coon" to stay as the main superhero of South Park.

So this episode was very good, and the music they used on it worked to demonstrate the atmosphere of super hero movies, as well as using it in the tone of South Park. Full of good jokes, references, and a workable plot. "The Coon" is a pretty good episode, and is not to be missed.moreless

south park has two good episodes in a row!?

By celticsfan888, Dec 02, 2010

I can't believe it either. South park has two strong episodes in a row. Im bewildered, bamboozled, baffled. Its some crazy stuff. I loved the superhero idea and It had a lot of references to dark knight with a sprinkle of watchmen in it with cartmans Rorschach like talking. Having butters as professor chaos and the other kid as general disarray was very welcome, and people mistaking cartmans secret identity, the coon, for bruce villanch was funny. There also was a hilarious poster of bar obama ack that said change on it and then spray-painted below it it said "when?". South park just may be back on track after a sub-par 12th season.moreless

Cartman tries to fight crime as the Coon

By dragondude4, Dec 02, 2010

In this episode Cartman become a crimefighter know as the Coon. But no one knows the Coon so Cartman tries to tell everyone then the Coon meets Mysterion who thinks he is a crimefighter and then everyone loves Mysterion. Then cartman tries to find out who is Mysterion. It can't be Kyle,Token,Timmy,Jimmy I think is Kenny. Then The Coon joins forces with Professor Chaos and General Dissoray. They Professor Chaos tells everyone that they're are going to blow up a hostpit then Mysterion comes out then the Coon makes him tell who he is and then Mysterion takes off his mask but you can't tell who he is that Sucks. If he die we will know it is Kennymoreless

A great take on all our favourite comic book heroes (and possibly villians)

By casabonita83, Dec 02, 2010

One young citizen (who we shall call Cartman) takes it upon himself to maintain order during a time of despair in South Park. "The Coon" rises from the trash and takes his place as a lone vigilante who wipes out crime in the town of South Park. A rival superhero appears on the scene in the form of "Mysterion" and challenges the Coon's place as a "symbol" for the town. The question is, who is Mysterion? This episode does have some red-herrings to divert us from obtaining the truth. It's someone in the clas$ but as Wendy points out "How are you so sure Mysterion is a boy?"

So I guess we will never know who Mysterion is.

Great episode :]moreless

Cartman has watched The Dark Knight one time too much, while he tries to figure out who Mysterion really is. With a little help of Professor Chaos and General Dissoray

By Zazawie, Apr 04, 2009

A good episode, but not as interesting as the previous one.

I don't like it when a South Park episode evolves around one storyline in particular, and though it was good to see Butter's alter ego and his minions again, it couldn't keep me interested. Maybe because it wouldn't be a big shocker if we would have found out who Mysterion was anyway.

What made it good, was that it was a Cartman-centric episode and his disappearing act at the police station was priceless too. And last but not least, you have to admit: the kid knows how to immitate Batman's screwed up low voice.moreless

I was surprised that the superhero Mysterion wasn't actually Kenny, seeing how quiet he is. I was disappointed not to see Kenny randomly say, "It's me, idiot!"

By joeyissoweird, Mar 23, 2009

You've asked for it in your mind, but not directly to the creators of South Park. A small and minor parody of Watchmen, The Dark Knight, and The Spirit which I believe I haven't seen. There may be some small parodies of Iron Man and Spider-man 3 but that's pretty much it.

The season so far is going great for South Park, unlike the previous season which wasn't all much enjoyable seeing the lack of parodies on recent events besides Obama's election episode, which was terrible in my opinion, just remembering it and expecting a little different than Obama and Mccain stealing a friggin' diamond. I mean.. what? This episode, along with the Jonas Brothers episode which I can't name at the moment, shows South Park is improving it's structure and is getting back into the game, but better.

Cartman, and an unknown superhero are attempting to save the world from unnoticeable evil. Cartman, who claims he started the whole superhero thing in South Park, wants to unmask the other superhero who is ruining everything for him. What he doesn't know what that no one know who Cartman, or the Coon was from the start. Mysterion just seems to be a cooler superhero than Cartman. The battle goes off, and this also brings Butters in it! Yay!moreless

stupid Cartmen!! "the coon" another strong season lool

By altaleh, Mar 22, 2009

i loved this episode, hahaha will written, i like the beginning when Erik where like talking with him self and jumping through walls, and specially at the Plice dept. hahaha ge's just stupid.

and when another hero came to the town and Erik were like pissed hahaha that was hilarious. anything just to get some fame, he made an event and no one came hahaha all the heroes of the town appeared even dr.Cayuse hahahaha

but the best scene was like when mysterious wanted to reveal his identity, and when they took off his mask !!!! u didnt know who!! like who was him Stan Kenny ????? it was anyone's face loolmoreless

A mysterious hero known as 'The Coon' (actually Cartman) proclaims himself as South Park's savoir, but no-one wants him. Then another hero, 'Mysterion', comes along and everyone loves him. The Coon plans to get rid of his rival. A great episode...

By Jay-Spacedust, Mar 20, 2009

In my review for 'The Ring' last week, I wished for a Cartman or a Randy story this week. And I got my wish! Not only that, but what a good episode. Although 'The Ring' was alright, 'The Coon' would have served far better as the season opener in my opinion.

The episode perfectly spooks the 'dark comic book movies', of which there seems to be a lot arond at the moment. Both The Coon and Mysterion's low, growly voices are a perfect take on Christian Bale's 'Batman'.

I would say that this is the best 'South Park' episode for quite while (taking into account some of the so-so episodes from last season), and it had me laughing out loud at a number of points – something that TV shows haven't been able to do for a while.

I love how the townsfolk (especially the Police) don't care about The Coon, but all embrace Mysterion, and how Cartman tries to talk up The Coon by no-one cares!

The episode also marks the return of Professor Chaos (Butters) and his sidekick General Disarray (Dougie), the first time they have been seen in quite a while. Although at first I was worried that it would descend into a generic Cartman-and-Butters story, thankfully things tied up nicely in the end.

Without giving anything away (!), the story's ending, with the unmasking of Mysterion, is perfect, and only something like 'South Park' could try and pull something off like that and get away with it.

Also amusing is the title – Coon is of course a racist term, but there was no mention of this in the episode; maybe the joke is that no-one commented on it.

As much as I like this episode, it probably isn't one of my all-time favourite 'Cartman stories' (there are a number of other candidates for that). But for a show that has had mixed quality episodes after the year or so, this episode stood out as being a really good one, and I really hope to see more of this quality in the coming season.

Now, where's that Randy story... =)moreless

By Jay-Spacedust, Mar 20, 2009

Now, where's that Randy story... =)moreless

great great great

By GreekGod371, Mar 20, 2009

One young citizen takes it upon himself to maintain order during a time of despair in South Park. "The Coon" rises from the trash and takes his place as a lone vigilante who wipes out crime in the town of South Park. A rival superhero appears on the scene in the form of "Mysterion" and challenges the Coon's place as a "symbol" for the town. Cartman holds his event, COONICON '09, at the Airport Hilton. This is also the location he used for his ginger pride rally in "Ginger Kids," as well as his AIDS benefit in "Tonsil Trouble."A very good episode. Top 20 easily.moreless

Load More Reviews