Spartacus: Vengeance

Show Reviews (32)

Great

the 2 spartacus's

By tforgets1, Jun 25, 2014

is it just me are these 2 actors the same ? ive only just been watching it and the 2 are so identical its hard to tell em apart ...

ive gone back to season 1 again to watch again they just seem like the same actor to me ...

im struggling to understand how no1 else is seeing the same

Revenge is sweet!

By Grazzy, Feb 14, 2013

This season starts just after Spartacus and his group of freed slaves leave the House of Batiatus. He's revenge-oriented but ends up realizing he won't achieve much on his own and understands he has a role to play now - that of a leader. The series obviously departures from the arena and the gladiator's story to explore new scenarios and angles, but that doesn't mean lack of adventure or action - there's actually plenty of both! The writing on this show never ceases to impress me: it is cohesive and purposeful, you never get the feeling that the plot is not getting anywhere or characters are being wasted; and it was nice to realize how the big theme of this season, vengeance, guides the whole story and other characters, not only the obvious Spartacus-wants-to-kill-Glabber aspect. Everyone seems to be seeking retribution somehow, which is made clear with a great and grand finale. Not to be missed!moreless

Different but good.

By Shadowkira, Dec 30, 2012

Liam stepped into some big shoes but I think he pulled the role off well.

This season honestly had one of the best finales I have seen, ever. I was blown away. The filming and stylistic blood that has become a trademark of the show was definitely improved upon. They got some flashy new equipment that allowed for some great slow motion shots. The storyline for me was also not lacking, the villians and heros were both well written.

Lucretia especially just... Was amazing. Her death had me feeling sad but at the same time completely in awe. It was just really, really well done.moreless

Just what you need

By Taylor-May, Oct 18, 2012

Blood, death, boobs,arse and more blood and death, good show lol

Good but not as good

By FX, Jun 04, 2012

Yes it's an absolute shame that Andy died. In saying so I will also say that I won't base this season due to that fact.

It a good follow up overall but many things did bother me. I didn't like the departure from the arena but it was needed to move the story. I also had many moments where I ask "wtf, just escape and live your life's". Maybe it's because I know what will happen in the long run since I know my history as well. I was also surprised to see the journey go about half way and not to the eventual end. I never looked up if they will make the conclusion season for this. If it does they will need to pull many rabbits out of many hats to make it more compelling to watch.

Over all it was fun to watch and I would still recommend it, just not as much as the first two seasons.moreless

Spartacus Lite

By JasonKing10, May 28, 2012

There were many things that were missing in this latest season. . Liam was a poor choice for Spartacus, he's not that good of an actor, he's not in ripped gladiator shape. In fact did they stop with their Spartacus Boot Camp workout? Most of the cast looked a lot softer this season, maybe too much freedom and not enough training for the freed slaves to add a little authenticity.

The acting all around was a bit off to say the least, part because of poor script but the director should be to blame. A director is supposed to be the quality control of acting and it just wasn't present. Crixis became a wuss, Naevia was just terrible (I was upset that Ashur didn't kill her actually). The addition of the Germans was extremely irritating, didn't like them at all

. Kudos for following history pretty close, albeit the troop numbers are waaay off. There were thousands on both sides of this conflict and you see a hundred at most. If they can't get it right for a following season they should just stop and forget this past season with a vengeance. I wanted a full flavored beer and only ended up with the horrible after taste of this 60 calorie crap. Hence the reason my girlfriend renamed this latest casting as "Spartacus Lite".moreless

Lets hope writers get on the ball with Season 3

By ScottDixon1, May 28, 2012

The prequel and Season one were great, I loved every episode and never had a complaint about anything.

I didn't know what to expect from season two with Liam McIntyre as the new Spartacus. I really don't think it would of mattered who was chosen, noone could replace Andy for that role, but I watched it anyways.

The first few episodes were ok, I think Liam did a great job playing his part, he had huge shoes to fill, but it never felt like I was watching the same character as I was the previous season. I think this was the fault of the writers more than anything. He played his part well, but he was too kind, too boring, not passionate enough etc etc.

Throughout season two, Crixis was made out to be a bedhead (wtf with his nappy hair) love struck wuss, Naevia was just plain annoying, not the cute girl from season one. I think what made it fun to watch, was the fact that Crixis was such tough gladiator that wouldn't think twice about killing someone, but was so gentle and in love with her, this season he was just a wuss in every episode and it annoyed me to even watch him. I don't even recall Crixis killing anyone other than a guard, he got his ass beat when they were going to trade Illithia for weapons, Agron even stood up to him, he just wasn't the baddass from season 1 and the prequel.

Bring back the old Crixis!

This really annoyed me. Agron, the almost nobody from Season one seemed to have a bigger part in Spartacus than the once champion of capua. Crixis would of dropped him in a second in season one, yet he was some sort of badass right hand man for Spartacus all of a sudden.

Doctore, who could of taken on Spartacus and Crixis at the same time, somehow managed to loose and eye and get killed to yet another nobody thug.

Ashurs part wasn't bad, he was the typical sneaky, backstabbing Ashur he has always been, I was sorry to see him go.

Ilithyia, Lucretia and Glaber seemed to have great parts, I was really pleased with their characters although I'll miss Lucy Lawless next season.

I am really glad they decided to bring Gannicus back. I thought the prequel was great even though I didn't have very high expectations of it. I found myself looking forward to scenes with Gannicus in it more than Spartacus.

Overall I wasn't happy with Season 2, not because Andy wasn't in it, but because there were so many changes to characters and roles and the storyline sucked. If Season 2 had been the first season I watched, I probably wouldn't be too excited about seeing it again.

Lets hope the writers do better next season.

moreless

They were sooooo close...

By SpartXen, May 18, 2012

Blood and Sand absolutely blew my mind. I started watching the series because I was curious to see Lucy Lawless in this new role, expecting to be mildly interested at best given that I normally don't like this genre. And then - WOW! It became my favourite show hands down. The prequel was just as amazing, if not more, and I felt the cast carried the story well in Andy's absence. I drove my friends crazy chattering on about season 2 and how excited I was for it. And I have to say, I was thrilled to see it back on the air. Yes, I missed Andy, but I was willing to give Liam a chance and I felt like he brought an interesting new energy to the show. So what happened? I really believe the writers got scared. They weren't ready to let the new guy carry the show, so we ended up with a lead who felt like a secondary character at best. Season 1's Spartacus was a complex, multifaceted character, and that not just because of the brilliant acting, but also because of the writing. The character was FLAWED. He had a big ego and took stupid risks, not to mention he was selfish enough to risk the lives of every slave in the house just to kill Batiatus (until he saw Varo's wife, of course). But we forgave him because of the trauma he had suffered and the rough road he took to redeem himself. And we loved him because he was unpredictable: we knew he was the hero, but he didn't always act like the hero, just a man trying to survive unimaginable tragedies. But this season? Spartacus was 'the hero' and nothing more. We knew EXACTLY what he was going to do because 'it's the right thing to do'. I wanted to see him screw up! The writers had a BRILLIANT opportunity to show the flaws in Spartacus when he chose not to kill Illythia - he spared her because it wouldn't give him his vengeance, not because he didn't want to be like the Romans - but instead he cited the latter as his true reason for releasing her and used it to deliver more speeches. The supporting cast was amazing, especially Ashur and Lucretia, and I loved seeing Ganicus again. The distinct style - I especially love the dialogue, although I think I might be in the minority - that we've come to know and love was definitely there in full force. And, surprisingly, Glaber made an excellent antagonist and I actually didn't miss John Hannah's presence much at all, which really shocked me. But the overall storyline just didn't seem to come together as seamlessly as the previous two seasons (1 and a half, I suppose), although we did get some nice climactic moments (the arena collapse CGI could have been better, but you have to admit that was awesome) and the writers dropped the ball with Spartacus - and you just can't do that with the leading character! As much as I wanted to love this season, I just left feeling unsatisfied and not particularly excited for season 3.moreless

Get right Spartacus and bring more colors, light.

By SolikhjonAbra, Apr 12, 2012

II agree with those who says that this Vengeance Season is worse than previous two. The main reason is they couldn't find proper replacement to Andy. The second reason: this season is less colorful, always in the darkness, and producers always tried to hide the weaknesses of new Spartacus (Liam). We didn't see anymore that variety of events in terms of roman lifestile, that took place in the first and especially in the next season. I enjoyed watching th Blood and Sand because of Andy, Manu, Hannah, Doctore etc. I enjoyed Gods of the Arena mostly because of Ganicus, intrigues and interpretation of roman life of that period like how Bathiatus (Hannah) goes to the public toilet or construction site of the Arena. Alas, this last season is awful though producers tried to freshen it with the return of Ganicus and brining in the Egyptian.

Producers should change present style of this series otherwise it will be an awful show. And it is still not too late to replace Liam with someone more masculine like Dominic Purcell.moreless

Load More Reviews