Star Blazers

Good
7.8

" A FAN FOR LIFE"

By jacobkeith9659, Oct 05, 2013

As a young boy growing Starblazers TV show was unmistakeably a must see in my house hold. I was literally glue to the show everyday it aired on TV. Now, 20 plus years am still hooked to this fantastic show. I do wish that someone would bring it back to television or to the big screen. If, I had the would!!! "GREAT SHOW"!!!!:)

An old anime-but an amazing anime!!! I really like that it's WAY more than a space ship blowin' up stuff!!

By SakuraNina-Chan, Aug 15, 2008

I love this series! Especially the second arc! It's more than just a space story, there's romance, drama and several subplots in between...it makes it WAY more than 'space stuff' as my friend calls it. My father got my hooked and now it's on my list of favorite animes. The first arc (Quest for Iscandar) is kind of like a pilot/story arc. It introduces the major characters as the ship heads to Iscandar to retrieve the cosmo DNA from Starsha. Leading to many battles with the Gamilons and the mystery of Derek's brother! The second arc is my personal favorite! (Comet Empire-Could it be my love of Invidia/Sabera?) Desslok returns with the Comet Empire! Lead by Zordar and his daughter (His mistress in Yamato 2-creepy) Princess Invidia, a race bent on Galaxy wide conquest. There's just so much to this series! The further development of Derek and Nova's relationship, Desslok's return, fight with Invidia and turning point, and of course the action that falls in between! BEST SERIES EVER!! (The series is better than the movie) The third Arc was okay, but not amazing. I didn't see much to this story-and I barely remember it... The movies were great too, partially "The New Voyage" and "Be forever" well the second one could've used improvements...(Starting with the Cometine Designs...)

But all in all a good series!moreless

Star Blazers is the English adaptation of one of the seminal series in Japanamation history, Space Cruiser Yamato. Changed slightly for the US market, the show has such a great story that its poor animation quality can be overlooked.

By tmkreutzer, Feb 23, 2007

Star Blazers entered the US market in the mid to late 1970s when Japan was still a defeated country best known for producing cheap tin toys, transistor radios and little cars that people pointed and laughed at. Things have changed a lot since then, but the idea of using an Imperial Japanese Naval ship that was destroyed in the closing parts of World War II as a space ship still seems pretty obtuse.

If one can suspend their disbelief, however, the show works well on a lot of levels. Both children and adults can watch it and everyone can appreciate the idea of brave people ignoring staggering odds to undertake a desperate journey in the hopes of saving their homeland - not a little unlike the final journey of the real Yamato.

I will say that the English version loses some of its drama because the producers felt that some of the events were not appropriate for kids. Most obvious is how the English version glosses over the way that Sergeant Knox sacrifices himself to buy time for Wildstar to escape from the Comet Empire. Perhaps it would have bothered some kids, but maybe what happens in a war should bother people...

The show has its quirks but overall it holds up surprisingly well when viewed as an adult. I bought it on DVD and think of it as a good purchase. I recommend it.moreless

By tmkreutzer, Feb 23, 2007

Vaguely remember this from my school days.

By SoylentYellow, Jan 29, 2007

I guess if you can get past the totally absurd premise that a corroded centuries old hulk of the sunken Battleship Yamato could actually be made space worthy - just look at the Titanic after 100 years, the Yamato would likely have crumbled into dust as soon as they fired up the engine - I guess it was ok as a kids show. I remember watching it before school while eating oat meal and drinking a glass or orange juice. I remember something about a "wave motion gun" and asteroids smashing into the Earth. Other than that I really remember any of the actual episodes.moreless

Another Japanes Anime that blazed a trail for the Japanese animation wave here in the US.

By Darkwolf92, Jul 11, 2006

Man,I remember the first time my brother and I came across the cartoon. And it was COMPLETELY by accident. 2:30pm on Channel 29, and it blew us away!!! The action, the animation, the story...was nothing like what we were used to seeing. Not even on Speed Racer or Marine Boy(Who remembers that one??). When Summer came...that was our show. What more can I realy say except...for its time...it was awesome. Compared to todays shows, you can see its age, but its still was cutting edge for kids cartoons back in the day. Star Blazers was a true Trail Blazer for the Anime revolution here in the US.moreless

The original editor speaks out one more time.

By CBourque2025, Jun 20, 2006

I was the first editor on the Starblazers at TVTome, since transfered here. To the current editor, glad to see you have made many fine contributions! And thanks for keeping my opening overall summary of the series intact on the summary page. I started adding info to what was a blank screen because no one else had done so, and this series has been a big favorite since I first saw the series in syndication in the 70's.

I loved the season long story arcs (which finally became popular decades later on such shows as Wiseguys, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Lost, and hopefully many more!

The characters were better and more believable than most in any animated show up to that time.

Visually the show was ahead of it's time, and the theme song was just about perfect!

I finally had to purchase the videos at Ebay to see it again, as cable seems to ignore it for some unknown reason. But thanks to the DVD (and VHS) collections it is being seen again.

I wouldn't be surprised if it is still around long after all of us are memories. New generations would miss out if they don't give this classic series a try!

moreless

early morning cartoon.

By galictc, Nov 23, 2005

I remember waking up before school and running to the t.v. in time to see star blazers before school. it kept me sane and awake . it was the first asian animation i had ever seen and it is still one of the best as far as I am concerned.

When Earth is threatened by an alien race, the spaceship Yamato (Argo in the translation) must journey to the planet Iscandar to save her. Can they make the journey in just one Earth-year?

By keydet31, Aug 17, 2005

I first saw this show when I was very young. It was fantastic then, and it still is now.

As I've grown older, I realize that it was put together (for U.S. audiences) very choppily, but the dramatic elements still existed.

All I can remember is singing along to the theme song (word for word; I even have it downloaded on my computer) and hanging on every action as Wildstar and the crew tried desperately to fight on to Iscandar. My most vivid moments include everytime the Argo would limp out of a battle, smoldering, only to right herself and press on.

Love that!

By today's standards it's old animation. Some of the over-the-top cheesiness exixts. But as far as spaceship design, weapons, and characters, this series (for me) started it all.

I place this above Robotech because it had a clearer storyline and because it was the one that started it all.moreless

Load More Reviews