In the Cards

Episode Reviews (3)

Great

Humor and intrigue - light but not lightweight.

By pharoahsdance, May 16, 2010

In between the intensity of "Empok Nor" and the eight-parter that would carry into season six, "In the Cards" offers humor and breathing space. Yeah, there's serious stuff going on in the background - but life goes on.

Jake and Nog's quest to obtain a Willie Mays rookie card echoes some of their crazy shenanigans from season one. As it was back then, it's played for laughs here (I burst out into laughter when Jake attempts to con Weyoun with his time travel story), but the two characters (and actors) have a maturity they lacked five years earlier.

Aside from the aforementioned Jake speech, there are plenty of other funny moments. But there are also serious parts - and the two villains, played by Louise Fletcher (showing flashes of her "good side") and the wonderfully smarmy Jeffrey Combs - show why they are such fan favorites.

In the end, like Sisko and the senior crew, we too forget that even in the most serious times it's OK to laugh a little.moreless

Jake, Nog and Willie Mays?

By FrakkingFrakker, Apr 19, 2006

Jake and Nog have never been favorites of mine. So, imagine my surprise when I realized that this is one of my top ten episodes of this series?

Yes, I'm a little strange and there are better choices for a top ten ep, but this one just struck me right.

It's not big broad comedy like we've come to expect with...well a lot of the Ferengi episodes. But it lives in that same world of fun fluff. What makes it work is the heart. What makes it work better is the fact that it really does have something to do with the overall story which was still rare in DS9.

To me, maybe that's the strength of the show. It took this little offkilter adventure that was a little pretentious and found a way for it to intersect with the major arc and have an impact. Infuse that with heart...and Well, that's a good episode to me.

Plus...you can't go wrong with an allusion to the Wizard of Oz.

moreless