Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

Show Reviews (116)

Great

An imaginative concept gone astray

By DrCroland, Apr 27, 2014

Back in the 90s, when I first heard all the hype about this show coming out and being a "DARK" vision of Star Trek, I actually expected that I was going to see some kind of Gothic "Dark Shadows in space" [am I dating myself with that reference? :-)] where the crew travels to strange places and has bizarre adventures that would actually be scary! But instead the whole show just ended up becoming a bad soap opera involving a few eye-candy main characters and some bizarre-looking humanoid races that are trying to dominate each other, and rather mundane silliness involving devious Ferengis and scantily clad bar ladies. The plot lines seem to have very little depth beyond this. Frankly, the aliens in most sci-fi shows like this today seem rather boring. Where are the really interesting ones, like the "Taelons" in "Earth Final Conflict"? Also, I would have liked to see them make Deep Space Nine a slightly weirder place, perhaps putting in some unexplored dimensions harboring a few deep, dark secrets -- things that instill a sense of wonder and transcend the predictable. If somebody is traveling through a space wormhole, I want him to encounter something really unusual that makes the trip worthwhile. How about some interesting MONSTERS that may or may not be intelligent but look like something other than mutant humanoids? Maybe also a narrator ruminating a bit about what weird, unimaginable horrors we have to look forward to. Maybe even some tongue-in-cheek silliness too as long as it's actually funny! This was done quite well back in the 60s with shows like "Lost in Space", but unfortunately, today's producers rarely seem to have the imagination to come up with such material! If they ever do, however, I would be much more interested in watching.

moreless

Better Than TNG

By snake63, Feb 18, 2014

Deep Space Nine was closer to Star Trek: The Original Series than Next Generation. The characters were better cause they were flawed and more realistic. Granted the first few seasons were mediocre but with the Dominion War it got much better. The two best characters was of course Odo and Quark. You had to know that the actors who played them loved them. The conflict was like Spock and McCoy but up a notch. Avery Brooks as Captain Sisko was in my opinion the best Captain cause he truly felt the weight of command.moreless

The Best of Trek: Deep Space Nine

By TheFza, Nov 20, 2013

I want to start this by saying that I consider myself a fan of television before any sort of genre, though I do tend to gravitate to social satire and speculative fiction (my favorite being The Twilight Zone as it has an anthology component). I enjoy watching all sorts of television programs as I am just looking for something good to watch regardless of the genre.

That being said I did very much enjoy watching Star Trek: The Next Generation and when I was very young I enjoyed its predecessor. And while I watched all of it with my roommates I did not like Enterprise all that much (except for maybe the Mirror Episode). As I have already reviewed it I won't go into my thoughts on Voyager here. Now we come to the topic of my review: Deep Space Nine.

I freely admit DS9 wasn't what I had expected when I began to watch it. TNG was still on the air when DS9 premiered and a friend had invited me over for Sunday dinner. We sat about with his parents, and what we termed the monster (his little sister) to catch this trippy thought-provoking two hour series premiere.

After it was over I remember we talked about it, one might even say argued. It was so very different than what we had some to know as Star Trek. My friend and I weren't sure what to make of it and in the midst of our debate his father, who had sat quietly with his newspaper in his hands throughout the show, blurted out -the way fathers sometimes do- his unsolicited opinion: I liked it!

We stared at him dumbfounded as if to say, "Old timer, we get you just want to be heard no one ever listens to you these days, probably because you really just don't get it, and you want to say something. So go ahead we'll humble ourselves by hearing you out, for sure we will also put some karma in the bank for our old age"

As we saintly young boys listened to the old man (frightfully not that old from my current point of view) he explained that this show was more philosophy then TNG, and thought provoking in a different way. He asked us who this Commander Sisko was, was it really HIM or would it have been any outsider who did what he did be the Emissary? What was this religion based around these aliens who lived outside of time? He quoted us Clarke saying, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from

He then suggested that this would be a series to watch, that it was dangerous and even subversive as it would make you question beliefs the way the Trek before it questions science and culture.

He then speculated on what would be on the other side of the wormhole... If it's that far away it might be something humans would have issues understanding and may even be frightened of. Perhaps that was where these wormhole aliens came from? Perhaps they are demons to the creatures on the other side of this wormhole? Or perhaps it would be something else entirely?

At first we wondered how the old-timer even knew of Arthur C. Clarke and what was it his business to tell us what was and wasn't going to be something special. What did he know, my gosh had they even walked on the moon before he was born?! In the end we told him, 'he might have something there' and retired to a more private place for the real minds to discuss the merits of the new TV series.

I didn't know it then but in retrospect it was like he had been as if he were trying to explain to the fools in Treasure of the Sierra Madre that they had been standing on the gold the entire time.

I remember the series seemed to drag on a bit after that, but it had O'Brien on it and Odo seemed interesting, Quark was riot and of course and that Doctor Bashir had an appearance on TNG with Data. Despite the strange start things with DS9 seemed to follow the usual Trek formula, at least for the most part. There were some interesting stories featuring: Q, Garak, Dax, The Nagus, the return of the Mirror Universe and of course Kor, Koloth & Kang.

Then, all of a sudden, DS9 was the only Trek on television and as you kept watching the series it kept getting better, the mystery of the Dominion was being to go somewhere and by the time Generations came out DS9 was basically Star Trek. It didn't matter that the crew wasn't off charting new sectors of space nor was it a problem that they didn't physically "boldly go" where none have gone before.

Trek had become less about the trekking and more with the sitting in once place letting others trek to them. And somewhere between the introduction of Garak, Vedek Winn going toe-to-toe with Keiko O'Brien and the episode MERIDIAN that I realized this show didn't need to be TNG, if it had been I would have just pined for Picard and Data, this was different this was the future.

The unsure feelings I had felt were just the rumbles of change, and while DS9 may not have been speeding through space but it still had a lot going on. With a crew that featured TNG's O'Brien a now Worf on top of an ever growing cast of secondary; Nog, Rom, Dukat, Winn, Damar, Martok, Weyoun, Ziyal, Kasidy Yates, Admiral Ross and of course Morn.

More importantly it seemed to have some of the best story in Trek history; Cardassians, Rules of Acquisition, The House of Quark, Past Tense, Improbable Cause, Lost, Hard Time, Nor the Battle to the Strong, Things Past, Soldiers of the Empire, Children of Time, Rocks and Shoals, Inquisition, Valiant, Time's Orphan, The Siege of AR-558 and many more...

While this was all very impressive what really made the series so good, the reason I began to really like DS9 so much was that it storytelling was not strictly episodic. That is to say those things which happen in one episode of the series could and would have ramifications for the next episode or perhaps 10 episodes down the line. This was a huge departure from the 0-to-0 episodes of TNG, which were good but lacked a feeling of cohesion. With TNG it was almost as if you could jumble up their episodes and watch them in just about any order, because very few things would affect a character or a situation in the future. Sure it would be nice to see them first meet the Borg before they meet Hugh, it didn't matter all that much because the main point of the show never changed. That was not the case on DS9, well not always anyway.

If that wasn't enough this series became epic! The more it went on the more it built up to longer and more involved story arcs and character arcs. It's the mother of shows like BSG and Lost. From the first to the last there were stories that grew in layers, characters who became more defined and focused. As the series went on the crew suffered and struggled, won and lost, they tried very hard to hold onto their ideals as the universe changed around them but weren't always successful. It became something more than a problem of the week show, like its predecessors.

Here, on DS9, we saw Klingon's lament and Human's rage. We saw Jake Sisko admit his heroic actions were those of irrational fear. We said Doctor Bashir fight for months to stop a disease only to receive a hollow victory. We saw generations die on an alien planet, love lamented and actual good advice given, not only by a Captain, but by a holographic lounge singer.

Some reviews have accused DS9 of not always producing a great episode, and sure there was cheese, and the occasional silly episode a chance for the crew to wear tuxes and pull of a sting or play spy in the holodeck, but those 'throwaway eps' were opportunities for cast and crew to have fun and often you get a look into characters you might not have been able to had it not occurred.

Which makes DS9 more than any of other series, to me, is the most rewatchable with the ability to stand up to the test of time (though Kira's hairstyles might not). Just recently I rewatched the story where the Dominion made a terrorist attack on the Federation (Homefront/Paradise Lost) and it affected me.

The Dominion attack and aftermath recalled 2001 to me, as a New Yorker I was scared by the attack and the steps taken to make sure it never happens again. Here, nearly half a decade before it. Trek asked questions I still wonder about: How far is too far when it comes to being safe?! How many compromises in our freedoms can we stand to protect ourselves? Can we really ever be safe from something like this?

Say what you will about TNG, and admit it was a great series; it never took us to the places this synchronously orbiting space station took us to.

Some reviews have reported negative things about the series finale, the relationships and characters at the forefront of the final season. Yet again, in the end, this series had more great Trek episodes, more space battles, more weird science and more philosophical dilemmas than all of the other three series put together.

To me DS9 is a kind of poetry, a television poetry that shouldn't even exist because it's too good--too original. And if it hadn't had the "Trek" name before it likely it wouldn't. If it hadn't been made in the days of 'sold to syndication' it would have probably compromised too much to become the gem it is. It was able to do things shows like Defying Gravity or Nowhere Man never had the chance to do. It was true and unbridled social satire (what the genre of SF is really all about) and because the action had to come to them relationships were deeper, more important. We couldn't have the 0-to-0 storytelling that TNG or TOS used. Because when you don't leave things behind they are never neat and clean in the end, in fact things never really ended the story of DS9 continued even after the last episode.

When it was on I once said to a friend it was arguably the best Trek series ever made... many years, two television series and several movies later I realize there is no argument about it! To me it is something more than what came before and after it, in some sense perhaps the pinnacle of what Star Trek could and can be. In short it is THE BEST OF TREK!moreless

best ever

By chumbawambael, Aug 19, 2013

Ds9 was the star trek series I kept going back to. Good god was it awesome. Epic confrontations, cool alien makeup, Quark and Odo going at each other like a old couple, It was great. The captain in this series is my favorite. Sysco was a combination of Kirks willing to fight and Picards negotiation skills. The other crew members had the most variety from all the others with 3 aliens and a biologically enhanced man. Also, the first Indian joined star treks major crew members roster. The ending to the show was not all that good though. Chief goes off with his wife to earth and teaches at the academy, Bashire and Dax hook up and stay on the station, Quark stays, Keria ( my least favorite of the group) becomes Captian, and Sysco has to spend the rest of his life with an alien out in space. Odo gets the same ending too. He has to spend time with his own kind. He earleir was going on about being the last shapeshifter. now their a whole planet out of them. Over all, this is a must watch for all fans of star trek and sci fi.moreless

Some of the Best Trek

By Oktoc, Aug 06, 2013

When this series first started, many doubted that the space station setting and other factors could ever equal a great Star Trek show. I have to say, though, that DS9 is the best overall Trek series. TNG and the Original Series might have had some of the best (or best loved) characters, but DS9 has the best chemistry, the best plots, and more great episodes than the other Treks. This show is still under-appreciated, and it doesn't get REALLY good until the second season. But seasons 4-6 are some of the most satisfying sci-fi I have ever seen.moreless

Deeper Trek

By DannMichalski, Feb 23, 2013

Arguably the best of the Star Trek series, Deep Space Nine was a groundbreaking science-fiction show that changed television. On the forefront of serial storytelling, the show was able to develop continuing stories throughout multiple episodes and seasons as never before, and to create deep, rich characters in both the primary and supporting cast. Free of Gene Roddenberry's creative control, Deep Space Nine was able to explore the dark and gritty side of humanity, delivering provocative and challenging television about the sociopolitical issues of the day. It presented a bold vision of Star Trek that was full of colorful and compelling characters that produced the most dramatic and action packed Trek of the franchise.moreless

Sisko Rules

By DiscordQ, Jul 17, 2012

DS9 is my all time Favorite of the Entire Star Trek Universe.I have the Entire Series on DVD.Ben Sisko was the Best of all the Captains.I Love that DS9 was so filled with darkness and Doubt.Like Our would today.Next Generation,for me,Was TOO Pollyanna,Made me sick!Voyager was too Lost In Space!The Original series was O.K. ,The First Couple Hundred Times.Enterprise?Was a QUANTAM LEAP Backward.

Bordering on dreck at times.

By emeraldcity, Jul 16, 2012

I always expected Captain Sisko to break into a song & dance routine with his big basso profundo voice-grabbing the nearest alien with a tree growing out of the top of their head and doing a robot waltz singing at the top of his lungs. Or maybe thats just me...his son was normal enough though. The Feneghi based episodes were a touch much in my opinion. The decor was Kardasian & was terrible as a result which gave the show an air of contrived cheapness but other than that it was fine. I thought Major Kira was good character-one of few good characters on the show. Who couldn't make jokes about Odo.....what is he today? A plant pot or maybe a chair-what an amazing fellow he isn't.moreless

ds9 latest update

By JaimeRobles, Jul 16, 2012

I came to bury caeser, not to praise him. I finally watch all the ds9 now that I'm retired. And i 'm glad I did. Cause I can fast forward over the boring parts. I have to agree with a couple of people here. The over - acting was sometimes painful. When the maqui security commander when over to the other side I was rooting for him. Bernie casey was so out of place on this show. Jake was such an annoyance after he grew up. The love scenes between kira and berial were really gross. Worf and ezri never worked together well. And also the stories about earth past in the 20th century. I can't get over hollywood facination with the 1920-to 1950's. Every scifi movie always have to have that time period included. It worked well with the original startrek, there was a purpose. But not on every startrek show please. Overall DS9 was the best startrek.moreless

great show

By rudh86, Jan 06, 2012

This show is great. i mean the writing is just is so good and emotional. I loved how some of the episodes were very dark and some made u think alot. Some were just so crazy it was really great. This show seriously got me hooked everything about is great. It starts off little slow but u have to stick with it and youll see how awesome this show really is. Theres not to much more i can say other then its a masterpiece so go watch it now, if u never have its on netflix for instant streaming. Sometimes i even think i like it even better then the next generation. Because this was the first series not created by gene rodenberry the creators explore alot of uncahrted territory and go all out. I highly recommend this show to any star trek fan youll definetly fall in love wit itmoreless

Load More Reviews