Broken Bow (1)

Episode Reviews (8)

Great

A great start

By rkoenn, Mar 13, 2014

My wife and I started watching Enterprise during its last season and enjoyed it so I picked up the complete set off of eBay and we started in last night. We've watched all the newer series previously just finishing up Voyager. Well from my perspective I would say Enterprise started off quite nicely. I enjoyed the "older" technology in the Enterprise and the submarinish atmosphere of the ship. Actually that makes more sense to me than the exotic lounge type bridge of TNG. The characters developed well for a two hour beginning show and the interaction between characters started off nicely. If the series maintains this quality through season 1 we should enjoy it greatly. And for myself T'Pol beats 7 hands down! LOLmoreless

This pivotal pilot begins a transitional era in Earth's history.

By bmoshier, Jan 25, 2011

With the launch of NX-01 U.S.S. Enterprise the Star Trek creators begin showing the transitional Earth era from being relient to the leading world in our galaxy, as shown by the Federation time travelers.

The words of this Star Trek series set the tone for this episode and for the entire series.

An outstanding beginning to an outstanding series.

Humans are finally allowed to venture out into space on their own, without the hand holding of the vulcans, to explore space and meet new civilizations, thanks mainly to the crew of Capt Archer.

By captainbritain, Jun 07, 2008

Its been nearly 100 years since Cochrane made his visionary warp flight in space and first contact with the vulvans were established. Since when they have babysat the human race, slowly guiding them, some believe alot slower than was necessary and is pointed out frequently.

Capt Archer and his crew set out in the revolutionary new starship, that is capable of warp 5, and they are asked to achieve their first mission by escorting a crashed klingon back to its home world alive. He is happy to do this, but has reservations regarding of having a vulcan science officer as part of his crew.

The unconscious klingon, being looked after by Dr Phlox, regains consciousness and Hoshi tries to talk to him, at this point the ship is attacked and the Klingon kidnapped by Suliban, as we find out later.

Archer is advised to return to earth, but as he doesnt want to go back with egg on his face, he learns from T'Pol that the Klingons previous stop prior to earth was Rigel X, where they discover an abundant mixture of alien life, they find their contact, have to fight off the bad guys prior to returning to their ship, although Archer is rendered unconscious in a fire-fight, after learning that the Suliban are one party in a Temporal Cold War, that the Klingon Empire is being manipulated and the Klingon Klaang has proof of this.

With the help of T'pol and the crew, the mission of near impossible stature is undertaken, they have to retrieve the klingon from the suliban stronghold and save the day, its a 2 parter, so will they manage to be successful.moreless

The First Captain, The first Crew, The First Mission. Captain Archer and his crew has to take a Klingon to his home world before the Suliban get him! Will they get him home in time?

By Reaganfan, Feb 11, 2008

I really enjoy watching Star Trek: Enterprise. The show had a great cast and a good storyline. I like how they did this episode where Vulcans hold humans back from space traveling for 100 years. And you can tell that Archer and Soval don't like each other. And the Captain and his crew wern't trill to have T'Pol on their ship. But later they like her after she help out at the end of Part 2. The show had a cast, I like all the action and I like the Specail effect in this episode. This show is really worth watching.moreless

excellent

By sfviewer, Jul 28, 2007

Earth is finally going to get a chance to explore space with the development of the warp engine. Vulcans withheld this technology from the humans for decades, but now the humans have achieved a technological leap and they use this to go out into the far reaches of space to explore new planets and civilizations. Just as soon they head out into space, they get into trouble with a race called the Suliban. The Klingons get into the picture right away. The first starship to head out into space becomes entangled in an instellar conflict between the suliban and the klingons. It's an excellent premiere episode.moreless

I remember watching the original series when I was a teenager, but was never what you would call a Trekkie. Although I enjoyed Voyager, I only started watching Enterprise because I have been a fan of Scott Bakula since Quantum Leap.

By timetraveller06, Jul 02, 2006

But after watching this episode, I was hooked. What I find most enjoyable is watching things that should be quite amazing to us viewers because they are in the future, seem very primative because we are used to watching advanced technology from the other series. Characters can't just touch their com button on their uniform, doors don't automatically open. I enjoy seening how things evolved and developed and how first contact with aliens, which are common in the other series, came about.

The theme song is very good. A nice change to have an actual song and not just music.moreless

The Future of Star Trek lasted four years. A lot of fans of Star Trek disliked this series. I wasn’t one of them. True, I did not faithfully follow it from the beginning. However the third season really drew me in.

By the_cyberleader, Feb 23, 2006

The Future of Star Trek lasted four years. A lot of fans of Star Trek disliked this series. I wasn’t one of them. True, I did not faithfully follow it from the beginning, in part because Paramount was not taking scripts from the general public. However the third season really drew me in. I am not saying it was the greatest Sci-Fi ever. It certainly falls short of a series like Farscape. But I did like the cast, and honestly it was probably the cast that allowed it to stay on for those four years.

Star Trek has one main problem, Roddenbery especially in the Next Generation made his “world” a utopia. The problem with utopias is that they are generally boring. If people live in a perfect world, then there is no conflict. But to make great characters you must have conflict. That is why I have liked Deep Space Nine over say, Next Generation. I know this will piss off a lot of you out there. The core to any good drama is conflict and out of conflict the growth of characters.

Unfortunately, Enterprise suffered from lack of character growth. The three main characters, Archer, Trip and T’pol, do have character growth, but the rest of the cast was sorely underused. I remember one thing from the end of the fourth season that the Doctor is using a phaser against someone and the Doctor character did seem to be against the use of force, and that bothered me.

However having said that, I like the relationships between Archer, Trip and T’pol. It reminds me of the original series with Kirk, Bones and Spock. Decision, Emotions and Logic. I loved this in the original series. You have the platonic concept of the chest (the decision maker, ) the heart (seat of emotions,) and the head (the foundation of logic.) I am sure this return to the old formula of the original series was done intentionally. As a kid I remembered the banter between Kirk, Bones and Spock, and I saw this slowly develop with the Archer, Trip and T’pol.

As far as pilots go, this is probably the best pilot since the original series, and I don’t really count the original series because it was the starting point for everything that follows. The whole point of this episode is sending the first starship Enterprise on its very first mission. As the notes point out, this series was a prequel but also a sequel because it takes place after the events in Star Trek: First Contact. We have the villain introduced in the cornfield along with a Klingon that no one on earth has ever seen before. Yes, we know who they are, but the characters are taking there first steps into this great unknown. The Vulcans, not like the peaceful Vulcans of previous shows, tend to look down on humans as they are little children. The reason for this is explored in the fourth season, but in this series the Vulcans are more a hindrance than a help in the new series.

The main character change in this story is that he has to learn to trust his Vulcan science officer. If you watch this in syndication, this episode ends with Archer remembering the time with his father flying model starship and T’pol is there. That is one of the strong relationships in Enterprise. I know I chide the series for character development but I mean among the secondary characters, also Star Trek has always had a tendency to have an “easy button” for its characters. As if what happened in the last episode had nothing to do with the present episode. Personally, I like the way Ronald Moore took Battlestar Galactica and made it a complete world. When something happens on Battlestar Galactica it has ramifications for the series. I believe that Moore knows where things are going on the show, but unfortunately the producers of Enterprise did not work this out ahead of time. They should have known from the beginning who Future Guy is. For those who do not know, he is the guy behind the evolved Suliban attacks. But according to the DVD release of the series, they did not know where this was going. To do any epic TV you have to know where you are going before you set out, but the producers failed here. The whole major plot of the Temporal Cold War was scratch off because people did not understand it. I think this in part was because the producers did not do their collective homework.

moreless

Every Star Trek pilot episode reveals something about the series that will be a recurring theme throughout the rest of the series. This one demonstrates its message quite clearly.

By zarlok, Feb 15, 2006

This episode is not unlike every other pilot for a Star Trek, or even a Sci-Fi Show. It introduces the main character, in this case the Enterprise Crew, and place them in a dangerous situation immediately, namely the task of bringing Klaang to the Klingon Empire, and it introduces an enemy that'll recur throughout the series, the Suliban and the Temporal Cold War.

Most people have an adverse dislike for the show immediately because it "differs" from the other Star Trek series. Most people just dislike the Captain, which is very similar to the Picard and Kirk 'esque styles of personality which became so well liked in both previous series', however others contend that this series alone was an unnecessary gap filler.

If you take Enterprise as just another Sci-Fi show and not as a Star Trek Prequel then it becomes an enjoyable series worth the watch, and this is the first in a line of episodes which show that Human Ingenuity and integrity can overcome anything in a hostile environment.

Well worth watching.moreless