Star Trek: Enterprise

Show Reviews (168)

Great

Let's put the Criticism where it belongs, OK?

By GoldenTrekker, Mar 04, 2014

Opinions are like, well, you know ... we all have one.

It fries me a little that absolutely, hands-down, *The Best* of the post-TOS Trek series gets put down here. Granted, I didn't think that Scott Bakkula would have made a very good Captain, given his previous series, "Quantum Leap", but I have to say, his acting in this role changed my mind. He's a much better actor when he's serious.

The series was *exactly* what the franchise needed - a look back at what started it all. It was brilliant! Crew members anxiety over the transporter, the warp 4.5 engine, paltry weapons, and almost non-existent protective "shields". But Hey! This was the state-of-the-art. It's all they had.

The foreboding gun-metal gray of the interior, and the excitement of warp travel to the distant stars. Awesome. It was the shot in the arm that the franchise needed. But, judging from the reviews here, I can see why it failed. This show was for the Trekkers from the 60's. A return to boldness and adventure. Not the transparent contrived episodes which made up much of the post-TOS series'. The kids didn't get it. The later TNG, and VOY were for kids. Granted, both had some very intriguing episodes, but you had to suffer with a lot of junk to get there.

What Enterprise did, and what TNG started with, was putting cinematography back into the series. From the middle of TNG, and all of Voyager, it looked like they lit the stage with florescent lights! Way too bright, no shadow, no dramatic lighting. Sad, and sterile. Enterprise tried a little harder with darker sets, darker bridge.

Forget Picard - instead of being in an old folks home, they made him Captain of the Enterprise? He should of been Captain of the Love Boat. With him forgetting if he was American, or English - C'mon Stewart?! Is it shed-ule or schedule? Is it Datar or Data. *Make it So!* An Enterprise captain that deals almost entirely as a diplomat, belongs in a play, not on an action TV show.

Forget Janeway - Going to get a lot of sexist email on this - but again, this woman as Captain of a starship? Perhaps someone else, not this chick. She sounded like she smoked 3 packs a day for 30 years before acting in this part. Her whole character completely irked me. Pardon my stereo-types, but this was not a swashbuckling captain. Again, sensitivity training, heart-to-hearts with the crew. It just didn't work. It's not open for discussion.

DS9 - a floating mall passing for a star trek spin-off. At that point, I knew that the producers had hit bottom. Berman and Braga became a hiss and a by-word. Vomit.

Those that would argue there were too many holes - that's what Star Trek Encyclopedias are for. Every series ESPECIALLY TOS had gaping holes.

The series cancelled because UPN ran episodes on Saturday's and because of the convenience, more and more people were watching the Saturday re-runs instead of during the week, where the show earned ratings based on viewing. Low ratings mean cancelled shows. Whether that was done on accident, or was intentionally done to kill of the show, I don't know.

But, I do have one negative - the main title theme song. The break with traditional horns and orchestras was a *big* mistake. I sail right through it on netflix.

I wish they'd put the crew out in a motion picture. And Soon!

moreless

NX-01 RIP, Show could've been more

By frankscc, Aug 23, 2013

I actually liked the early seasons of the show. However, starting with the whole Zindi line, I think they tried to be too action-packed and make Archer look like a bad-ass instead of the nave do-gooder he started out to be. If you notice shows like THG though, it's not the action that draws you, it's the problems they run into. Enterprise should've focused on THAT and the federation storyline rather than the darn boring Zindi.

I would watch it again and again

By joyutley, Jun 24, 2013

I Think Enterprise was great. The reason I can say this is because I never watched or cared to watch any of the trek series. I tried a few time but couldn't get into them finally after years my boyfriend convinced me to endure one and I said I would try enterprise. I loved it!!!! Now I'm watching all of the trek shows, and watching enterprise over again.

Actually one of my favorite series

By gjambro, May 26, 2013

I'm an old school watcher from TOS to The Next Generation and I never got into any of the three additional spinoffs until Netflix. The best thing about netflix is the abilty to watch the first episode and understand the plot and the characters from the beginning instead of trying to like something without any reference other than you liked the first two I mentioned. Here's where I think Enterprise went wrong. Their theme music!!!!! Has to be one of the worst tv theme songs I have ever heard and so inappropriate for a Star Trek show. It does NOT inspire a space adventure in the slightest and should have saved for something like Little House on the Space Prairie. That being said, I gave it a chance once I got Netflix and it is now one of my favorites. I got to know the characters from the beginning, how their relationships formed and the bumpy road that it was, as well as the closeness that came from their journeys. Big plus is T'Pol who is not only a great Vulcan but amazing eye candy. I wont try and convince anyone with story lines why this is a good series and maybe even a great one that was cut short, only that it deserves to be watch in sequence to be appreciated. And best of all with Netflix, you can fast forward right past the crappy theme song. Almost got that lame song out of my headmoreless

The Best Trek Show

By drodneyjohnso, May 15, 2013

I'm watching the series on Netflix and I really like it.

oh those negative vibes

By EjCox, Oct 23, 2012

I enjoyed it and thought it well done at all levels. Decontaminating with Tpol was a Trip..... lol

Missed the Boat

By SFBarbear, Oct 18, 2012

This was there worst of all the Trek series, it was even worse than the animated series.

There were way to many inconsistencieses and plot holes that could neverer be explained or talked out of. Plain and simple you cant do a PREQuel of classic shows or movies unless you rewind the tech, mindset, and look of the new show to before the original story.

Part of the franchise... deal with it!

By old_schooler, Aug 29, 2012

This show, had a tough act to follow. After Star Trek: Voyager executive producers Rick Berman & Brannon Braga came up with a Trek vastly different from previous shows. The concept was fresh and characters were easier to relate to for us "modern humans".

Like TNG, DS9, and VOY it took the show two seasons to get its space legs. Not saying every episode was terrible, which they weren't. Silent Enemy and Minefield are perfect examples. To shake things up, season three became a whole story arc which was what the show needed. The main problem is in case you missed an episode you may have missed a critical point of the arc.

When season four came I thought the show found what it needed to make it successful, and yet unique not just for Star Trek, but American television with multiple smaller story arcs. It was unfortunate that Enterprise was cancelled and not given at least one more season. I think 7 is a little excessive and can lead to... "we've run out of idea's" episodes. Five to me seemed like a perfect number when you think about it with Kirk's "five year mission", but that's my inner Trekkie talking (and yes, the proper name is "Trekkie", not "Trekker")

Is it possible for this crew to fly again? Maybe. Stranger things have happened such as Firefly getting turned into Serenity, or Family Guy coming back after being cancelled twice. While I have hope, that's all I have. Until then I will continue to enjoy the show for what it gave me.moreless

The only reason this series wasn't succesfull ...

By GooseGanja, Jul 29, 2012

... It had the worst opening theme song Ive ever heard, especially the worst Star Trek theme (It was an atheist folk song and not an epic orchestral score like tradition).

HAHA and it was on UPN ... wtf!?

Load More Reviews