A Matter Of Perspective

Episode Reviews (4)

Good

TNG does "Rashomon", with entertaining if not mind-blowing results.

By pharoahsdance, May 31, 2011

This is another one of the solid, enjoyable and unremarkable episodes that populate much of the 3rd season. In this one, Riker is accused of murdering a scientist and lusting after his wife. Despite some similarities, each of the three testimonies diverges on enough key elements that Riker can't be immediately absolved.

Actually, what is weird to me is that despite being absolved of the murder, we never really figure out exactly what happened on that space station – and the show keeps going as if it doesn't really matter! Riker was effectively accused of attempted rape, and Counselor Troi herself suggests that the purported victim truly believes her version of events! Sounds pretty shady to me.

The best part of the episode lies in the testimony representing Dr. Apgar's view – all of a sudden, this wimpy scientist becomes a butt-kicking superhero – as I suppose he always imagined himself.moreless

An under-appreciated episode.

By dseabroo, May 31, 2011

I would be lying if I wrote that "a Matter of Perspective" was the greatest Star Trek adventure of all time, but I do consider it to be a good episode under-rated by the fans. Its a Star Trek style murder-mystery with a surprise ending which I felt kept the audience guessing. One of the strength of Star Trek is its ability to put out so many original story-lines. This is something lacking in many other television dramas. Its the fact that the plot keeps one guessing until the end, and the fact that not every plot point is cleaning resolved that makes episodes like this so fun to watch, even after many viewings.

Thankfully this episode keeps with the tradition of the Federation requiring hearings before releasing its citizens to the local authorities -- something that can be troublesome even in real life. Later series had an unfortunate tendency to gloss over this point -- in particular DS9 episode "the Vortex" that I found particular not believable.

My hat is off to any fan that could solve this mystery before the episode's conclusion. I certainly had to wait until the end of the simulation. Definitely a fine example of Trek.moreless

By Pink_Floyd_AL, Mar 14, 2006

Guilty till proven Innocent? So it may seem? Commander Riker is being accused of murder. The facts we know is he beamed aboard the "Enterprise" about the same time a Tanuga IV science station blows up. Riker was the last one to see Dr Apagar. If you like mystery this episode has it all. I am sure Data and Geordi is going to find out the truth. Is this the end for Commander Riker and his starfleet career? Watch this episode and find out. I have to rate this one a 7.9 not the best but not a dud either.moreless