Code Of Honor

Mediocre
5.8

Racist piece of shit

By gregoryandlin, Oct 04, 2013

What a terrible episode... Racist and utterly ridiculous.

"Code Of Bummer"

By lazoomusic, Apr 10, 2013

The thing that stood out the most to me that made this such a bad episode was the directing: it was terrible. The actors were often very stiff (especially when Gates McFadden was talking to Patrick Stewart in his Ready Room -- she was awful -- and she is such a fantastic actor otherwise!) Blame it on the director: cues were not picked up quickly enough and the "action" dragged. Very little movement while the actors were speaking. They just stood there and recited their lines. God bless them. They were a fantastic and extremely talented group of actors, but in this episode the direction they were given was bor-ing and unimaginative. Of course, this was only the third episode ever of this new series, and everyone was still trying to find their footing and develop their characters. But man -- what awful directing. This episode gets a D+ from me.moreless

Stupid episode

By LBF522, Apr 03, 2012

Where to begin? Lutan's stunt was an act of war and Picard would have had every right to use force if he chose to. But to play along with Lutan's ridiculous game was dumb. I agreed with Data when it called it a joke. It was a joke.

The Enterprise is in the midst of negotiating an invaluable medical vaccine when Tasha Yar is kidnapped.

By Celedorian, Mar 12, 2011

This is like the poor man's version of original Trek's "Amok Time", and the first indication that the writers just didn't know what to do with Denise Crosby and her character Tasha Yar. The way the aliens are written and portrayed is embarrassing enough (and borders on racism), but what really brings "Code of Honor" down is that the story is predictable, drawn out, and downright boring, not to mention forgettable. This is one of those episodes even a Star Trek fan can safely skip and still live a happy Trekkie life. Watch this one only if you're a completest.moreless

A diplomatic mission to secure an urgently needed vaccine is jeopardised when the planetary ruler kidnaps Tasha Yar, and insists that she take part in a deadly duelling ritual. Pretty dire...

By Jay-Spacedust, Feb 10, 2011

"Code of Honor" is widely recognised as most probably the most un-PC episode from any 'Star Trek' TV eras – and that includes the dated 1960s series!

What is so infamous about this episode is its questionable representation of black characters. Things on paper seem to be a naïve re-working of stories that would have been about in the early 1900s, with the white people meeting (excuse the terminology) "the black man" in some far off land (say, tribal Africa), who has something that they want, but they must go through the black people's customs. Either way, this episode comes off feeling badly misjudged – to the extent that Gene Roddenberry fired original director Russ Mayberry mid-way through production.

Personally... I dunno, I think they were more naïve than anything. There might have been a fair story in there if it had been handled in the right way, but it comes off feeling as awkward as the whole episode does clunky.

Things start off so-so... we get to see how Picard and the Enterprise goes about diplomacy when meeting with a new people. This was okay, nothing special; they would go on to do it far better in other episodes. But when Tasha is kidnapped by Lutan, aside from the already awkward black representation, the episode contains some truly terrible dialogue. Any story that gives the underused Tasha something to do should have been fairly good, but this one pretty much falls flat, and with material like this, maybe it's not to hard to see why Denise Crosby decided to leave the series later in the season.

The only real thing of note from this episode, in my book, is that we first see that Geordi and Data are becoming good friends. Also regarding Data is that the writers, producers and Brent Spiner slowly seem to be getting a handle on the character. Although a couple of "out of character" moments (compared to the character we would soon become used to), Data seems much more on form here than he did in "Encounter and Farpoint" and "The Naked Now".

Proceedings get far too bogged down in the Prime Directive, something that would – in my opinion – mar many TNG episodes. One can only wonder what kind of all-guns-blazing approach Captain Kirk would have come up with, faced with the situation seen in this story.

And talking in 1960s 'Trek, the planet sets look *terrible* - even many of the original studio-based plants in the Original Series were far better than this.

Some people have noted similarity with the Original Series' memorable second season episode "Amok Time"; indeed, both stories do feature a character dying in a ritualistic duel only to be brought back to life again on the Enterprise, but personally I did not find the entire episode to be a complete rip as much as some have.

I have to confess that I do like "Code of Honor" marginally better than the abysmal "The Naked Now", at least it has some vague action and excitement (emphasis on the vague), but this is sadly another weak early TNG episode. Just keep telling ourselves: Things DID get better!moreless

Wow, that was bad....

By uk6strings, Feb 10, 2011

After a great beginning episode "Encounters At Farpoint," those who make Star Trek: The Next Generation function as a TV show decided to leave behind the unique film styles and different storylines and remake an original Star Trek series episode only two episodes into the series with "The Naked Now." Here in "Code Of Honor," The Next Generation producers and writers still had their heads up the original Star Trek series' backside.

"Code Of Honor" feels very much like a horrible original series episode. Original series music composer Fred Steiner makes his one and only Next Generation showing and helps the episode feel absolutely cheesy with each of his very dated music cues reminiscent his work with cheesy feeling cues of the original Star Trek series. On top of that, there is an incredibly dated portrayal of African Americans of which I honestly cannot decide is racist or just dumb. This episode sees the Enterprise trying to obtain a vaccine that only a primitive culture, the Ligonians, has through diplomatic ways. The Ligonians play ball for a while and then kidnap Tasha Yar in a diplomatic game that the Enterprise does not fully understand. Yar then has to fight for her life when the wife of the Ligonian leader challenges her to the death when her husband wants Yar as his wife instead. That scene is beyond hilarious (and not in a good way) as Yar and her royalness battle to the death.

Few elements redeem this bad, bad episode. Data's quest for first-hand knowledge of the human condition is handled well but really nothing else is. The portrayal of the primitive African American race is either obnoxious or insulting and the story is absurd, making Picard look like a wuss. "Code Of Honor" is a prime example of why many people consider the first season of Star Trek: The Next Generation to be very weak.moreless

A completely terrible episode...

By Data1991, Jul 26, 2008

I'm sorry but I can't seem to think of anything that is good about this episode because there is nothing that I can say that would be good. The acting was quite bad but not just that I don't really understand what the point to this whole thing was, and in the end I sat up and thought what was all that about. It was boring and pointless and just one big filler to a "Shacky 1st Season" of TNG.

OK I knew that the writers wanted to give "Tasha" something to do, and quite honestly they never really were able to do anything with her for some reason or another, this episode is an example of how poor the character was treated.

I have nothing more to say on this episode!moreless

At least it doesn't preach second rate morality, like how "Ethics" had...

By Thermodynamic, May 11, 2008

Okay. Fledgling series, wants to feel like TOS only bigger, and with "The Naked Now" they got (some of) the sexual tomfoolery over with. What next? Well, obviously they had to make up for the lack of Blaxploitation-themed Trek episodes during the 1970s because, let's face it, Trek wasn't on during the 1970s.

We all know Yar will win.

We all know Lutan will lose in some fashion. Since it's all about some sort of honor, that's what he'll lose.

And it's empty pablum like this episode, "The Naked Now", "Justice", and such that surely must have prompted Denise Crosby to leave TNG. Of course, season 2 being a radical improvement, it's nice she returned in "Yesterday's Enterprise", and to carve a greater niche than just being one small, doomed role.

Best left ignored. Or, at least watch this one before re-visiting half the stories found in TNG's latter 3 years...moreless

Starting of strong, but faded badly

By AvatarBlue, Apr 12, 2008

The good part of this episode is that its a Tasha one. I always regret that she didnt stay longer and become as big a personality as Jeri Ryans 7of9. Still, her perfomance here is not as good as I would have expected - esp. the very important fight scene at the end.

The story though is well constructed and the elaborate plan of Lutan works very well in bringing conflict to the episode, through their established customs. The ending is very satisfying as Lutan gets his just deserts as Beverley manages to revive Lutans wife, the target of his cunning plan.moreless

Load More Reviews