Deja Q

Episode Reviews (7)

Superb

The real meat of this episode is John DeLancie and Brent Spiner​ springboarding off each other with just about every line and furiously trying to underact the other guy.

By Celedorian, Oct 07, 2011

This Q/Data episode is quite different from the other Q stories, and is a unique delight as a result. With meaty material for both John De Lancie (Q) and regular Brent Spiner (Data), the two actors spend the episode springboarding off each other with just about every line, furiously trying to underact the other guy. The episode's highlights include Data and Q exploring humanity, an interesting B story involving a planet, and a new alien species that actually doesn't look human. Best of all, the whole thing nicely straddles the line between comedy and drama.moreless

Among the better Q episodes, but probably overrated. Nevertheless, an entertaining 45 minutes.

By pharoahsdance, May 31, 2011

Q is a big fan favorite and, judging by the ratings, this is one of the most popular Q episodes. It's significant in two ways – a turning point in which Q changed from a malevolent, antagonistic figure into some sort of cosmic joker/prankster; and probably the only Q episode that focuses on his character, with the Enterprise crew in a supporting role.

This episode functions well as light entertainment. The encounter with Guinan's fork and Data's laugh sequence are clearly the highlights. There are other amusing parts - Dr. Crusher fixing his bad back, "ten chocolate sundaes!" It was a nice twist to have some old Q-hating aliens show up for revenge. But when the whole thing wrapped up, I wasn't left with any particularly strong impression. The "insights into what makes us human" were generally trivial and not at all insightful, and the "mission" of saving generic aliens from a planet-destroying asteroid was strictly 3rd-tier TNG.

That said, this is a stronger episode than either "Q-pid" or "True Q". Not every episode can be a "Tapestry".moreless

A powerless Q returns and wants to become an official member of the crew. An M-Class planet called Bre'el IV is on the cusp it's own armageddon. Q's past haunts him as he tries to deal with the situation.

By Brettlew22, Apr 28, 2011

Probably the second best "Q" episode in the series (first being "Tapestry"). An episode that truley questions and analyzes what it is to be "human". Through "Q", the episode thoughtfully goes through the little things humans take for granted. What made the episode ever more interesting was that Q's teacher is Data. Simple things such as eating, sleeping, and group work prove an interesting test of Q's intelligence. The episode humbles Q for the first time. The plot offers an interesting character hiding in space, that being the Calamarian. All of this folded perfectly within the primary mission, that being saving the planet Bre'el IV from an impending collision with it's moon. Overall, it's Q at his finest. There's nothing more entertaining than Q and his relationship with the crew.moreless

Q is back.

By seaqueastdsv, Jul 27, 2007

this is a great episode which has q in it. any episodes where q is in it is great.there are a few great scenes in it where guinan stabs q in the hand with a fork,just so she can check if hes turned human.and one of my favourite scenes is at the end."Q ah,before i go,there is a debt that i intend to repay.to my professor of the humanities.data,i intend to something very,very,special"."DATA if you intend to make me human,,,'.Q no no no,i would never curse you by making you human,think of it as a parting gift.DATA {laughs hysterically/].thats a great and funny scene.moreless

By Pink_Floyd_AL, Mar 13, 2006

Q is kicked out of the "Q" continuum. He is forced to live like the humans. Meanwhile on Bre'el IV the "Enterprise" is trying to save the planet from a asteroid moon. At its present course the asteroid moon will enter the planets atmosphere in 23 hrs. Q appears on the "enterprise" powerless. He can't even save the planet. Now his worst enemy Calamarain attack him. Data saves "Q's" life. When "Q" regains his power, he gives data the ability to laugh. "Q" then saves the planet. I rate this one a 9.9 for a episode worth watching.moreless

One of my favorite episodes of all Star Treks, it has everything: drama, silliness, humor, a very trekkie view of humanity and, of course, Q!

By kirke_novak, Sep 20, 2005

Poor Q, what a day! The Continuum strips him of all his powers, kicks him out and forces to make a choice – what kind of mortal being he wishes to be, considering, that the rest of his (now mortal) life he has to spend as one. Q chooses human and requests to be transport onboard Enterprise… and this is barely a start.

At the very beginning I thought that this is going to be one of those funny, silly episodes, a type of show you want to watch on a rainy day. I was wrong, this is an episode you ALWAYS want to watch, no matter the weather, time of the day or mood.

First of all, Q, who until now always got the back sit, gets his own, ‘100% Q’ episode. We see how he struggles, tries to accept his new life, how, despite the fact that Troi senses his great fear, he still is the same sarcastic, egocentric ex-god that we all know and love… that is until the Calamarian attacks. Suddenly, we see his panic, his helplessness, his lack of control and, despite the better judgment, we actually start to feel sorry for him.

Another absolutely lovely attribute of this episode is the Q/Data interaction we see onscreen. Data, ironically, becomes Q’s teacher of humanity, shows him what it really means to be human, something that neither Picard or any other crew members (convinced that this is another of Q’s weird games) care to do. It’s Data sacrifice that finally makes Q realize what being human is really all about. Q’s speech in Picard’s office is brilliant and seeing captain’s indifferentness, we suddenly realize how cruel this punishment really is, that something obvious to some (Picard) and envied by the others (Data) can be, at the same time, a hell to someone else (Q).

Despite the fact that there isn’t any real action in this episode, not a single second seems to be wasted or unnecessary. There is something to laugh of, something to think about and something dramatic, and just the right amount of each.moreless