Force Of Nature

Episode Reviews (5)

Fair

Writer Naren Shankar would like you to know he's sorry for this one.

By Celedorian, Oct 29, 2012

This unfocused ensemble episode begins with an A story about Data training his cat and a B story about Geordi trying to best an engineer of another ship and then drops both stories about halfway through to meander into a heavy-handed environmental allegory. The problem with doing the sci fi equivalent of a hole in the ozone layer is that the science inevitably takes a backseat to the personal issues and viewpoints (which can be covered in a more dramatic way) and thus the episode becomes more about who's right than the more Star Trekish idea of "let's find out what the problem is and then see how we can solve it together."

And if that's not bad enough, to really send home the episode's message that technology has doomed us all, the episode ends with a directive that handcuffs future Star Trek episodes until a few months later when the writers decide to forget about "Force of Nature" and never reference it again.

moreless

A look into the future of Warp Speed.

By cotytheleech, Jun 06, 2010

By this point in the series, we have seen numerous Warp Speeds be 'engaged'. This episode gives us a look into what those warps had been doing to space. A very good episode, but I took the score down because we never found out (at least not in this episode) if Data was successful in training. I recommed this episode to anyone who sees an intrest in Warp Speed. Anybody else think Spot is the cutest little thing you have ever seen? Great episode, great character plots, and an unfortunate, but necessary loss of a guest character. (Sister of another.) Enjoy!moreless

This episode was not that great, but was worth watching. It did explain a lot about warp technology and the future of it for the rest of the series.

By mgreen789, Jun 06, 2010

It was mildly entertaining, but I can't think of any episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation, that weren't. Average episode overall.

By Pink_Floyd_AL, Oct 05, 2006

The “Enterprise” crew tries to locate the “Fleming”. The “Fleming” is lost in a corridor of space where warp drive is capable in a space equivalent to a one lane road. While searching for the “Fleming” the crew find that another ship is motionless in this sector. Is is the Ferengi ship has been disabled by what? We find out the answer it is Rabal and Serova, a brother sister team native to this sector. Dr Servova tries to reveal that warp drive is harming the sector in which they live. Dr Servova will prove her point.moreless