Genesis

Episode Reviews (4)

Good

Gates sets the tempo.

By Celedorian, Nov 08, 2012

This horror episode opens with a chaotic scene in sickbay that leaves no doubt who's in charge: Dr. Crusher. There's no doubt who's in charge of the rest of the episode, either: the director, Gates McFadden. The meat of this episode, which serves as her directorial debut, features Picard and Data, and like the opening teaser, the plot (which is pretty shoddy science) is carried out with over the top acting.

Like sixth season's "Timescape", the episode takes us away from the ship for a brief time (via a shuttlecraft) so we can return to it and approach the drama from a different angle to heighten the suspense and intrigue. This sets the table for frightening encounters that McFadden plays up for all their worth - and which features visually stunning transformations which are a must see.

It's just too bad that the writers didn't combine this and the previous episode, "Eye of the Beholder", into a hybrid dream episode where the broad acting and the implausible premise here would make more sense.

moreless

An interesting but not particularly successful experiment.

By pharoahsdance, May 08, 2011

TNG dipped its toes into sci fi horror a few times. In this case, we're not talking about any sort of intense psychological tension, but rather cheap scares.

Of course, cheap doesn't necessarily mean bad. There are some genuinely freaky moments here - mostly surrounding Worf - biting Troi's face, spitting on Crusher (yikes!), and the chase of Picard down a Jeffreys tube. We also get Barclay as a spider and Riker as an apeman.

The rest - well, ho hum. It's another "virus infects the crew and make them act crazy" episode, which we'd abandoned since the 2nd season but are now subjected to again.

A harmless throwaway.moreless

Excellent Episode.

By Crusher98, Oct 17, 2006

This is my all-time favorite episode. Even tho it's a little iffy as to how realistically it could happen, it is science fiction. i think they're allowed to be iffy. Odd that most Broccoli basied episode are among my least favorite, his obsession with Starfleet's medical database makes me laugh, as i am too an acute hypochondriac. i have a weird symptom and i run to the computer to find out what it coudl be. but i stop there and tell myself that just one weird ailment is not a death sentence. i don't go running to the doctor. of course if it was free i probably would.moreless