Hollow Pursuits

Episode Reviews (3)

Great

Fan favorite Lt. Barclay is introduced, to mixed results.

By pharoahsdance, Jun 01, 2011

Lt. Reginald Barclay is apparently a huge fan favorite, maybe because unlike all the other alpha-plus officers he actually seems... human. But despite some fine acting by Dwight Schultz, writing for the character always seemed contrived.

Despite not being a major triumph, this is one of the better Barclay episodes. The danger-of-the-week facing the Enterprise is quite generic, and as always Barclay saves the day after overcoming his oh-so-human-flaws.

Nevertheless, Barclay's fantasy scenes on the holodeck are hilarious and pretty much carry the episode. Riker and Troi's encounters with their alter-egos in Barclay's dream world are particularly priceless.

If you're a Barclay fan this is probably pure gold. If not... well, there are enough good parts to make this one worth sitting through.moreless

By Pink_Floyd_AL, Mar 21, 2006

This is the first episode we see Lt(J.G.) Barclay. Barclay is a shy and very nervous officer. He has Geordi LaForge patience wore thin. So Geordi asks Captain Picard if they could transfer Barclay somewhere else. Picard insists Geordi should give Barclay a chance. The ship starts doing strange things. It cause system malfunctions throughout the ship. Replicators, Transporter 3, and The Warp Drive are affected. We find the "Enterprise" can do Warp 9.6 and still keep the ship's hull intact. Is Barlcay to blame or does he save the ship? I rate this one a 8.1moreless