Identity Crisis

Episode Reviews (6)

Good

[Mis]Taken Identity....

By uk6strings, Jun 07, 2013

.... "Identity Crisis" is a strong, well-written episode of TNG's fourth season. Levar Burton is especially great in this episode, as Geordi learns that the members of a small excursion he was involved in have all been mysteriously vanishing. His friend and co-victim Susanna (played well by guest Maryann Plunkett) band together to not only find their other friends but to make sure nothing bad happens. When bizarre things begin to happen to Susanna, Geordi knows he has to work fast before he is next. It's a pretty great Star Trek mystery that is well-plotted out (if not lacking some style perhaps) and has some eerie and emotional components that make it at least more memorable than most. The relationship between Geordi and Susanna is well worth the viewing alone and the spooky mystery is quite engaging.moreless

Braga's First Solo Script

By Celedorian, Jan 28, 2012

Here we get another sci fi horror episode, this time with Geordi as the featured character/ tormented crewmember. The premise is a bit weak, but writer Brannon Braga's script is good, and director Winrich Kolbe paces it well, turning it into a solid episode. The episode makes good use of an ultraviolet lighting effect and was nominated for an Emmy for Outstanding Achievement in Makeup for a Series. Maryann Plunkett does a nice job guest starring as Geordi's friend, Susanna.

Geordi and fellow crewman begin a slow transformation into an alien being following a mission to the surface.

By esomniac, Jun 05, 2011

Without a doubt one of my favorite TNG episodes (one of many...). Anytime you have an alien transformation, its exciting stuff. I don\'t give it the highest of marks though because of some plot holes that I thought hurt its overall storyline.

I was confused how Geordi\'s sight returned when he turned into the alien life form. If he was missing a limb or more accurately crippled would the he regenerated the limb? I dont see how that\'s possible?!

Additionally, why wasn\'t the Enterprise able to locate any life on the planets surface? It seems odd that just because the alien life-forms aren\'t visible to the naked eye, that the ship would be able to sense their presence (even if their body temperature drops significatly). Similarly, why wasn\'t the ships computer able to find Georgi on-board as he transformed?

Any thoughts?

-The Esomniac

moreless

A second consecutive scifi horror episode.

By pharoahsdance, Jun 05, 2011

I'm not sure why the writers chose to throw in this episode right after "Night Terrors", but it belongs to the same genre. A group of 5 Star Fleet officers who were sent to investigate mysterious events on a distant planet begin to behave very mysteriously several years later. One of those 5 is our good friend Geordi Laforge.

The episode is remarkably claustrophobic and tightly written; there isn't a lot of fat here. There's a particularly eerie sequence on the holodeck, as he comes closer and closer to finding out what went wrong on that pivotal day.

Oddly, despite being a riveting story, I don't find it to be that likeable. I don't know why. That said, it's quite good for a 2nd-tier TNG episode.moreless

By Pink_Floyd_AL, Apr 15, 2006

Geordi is contacted by his former shipmate, Susanna Leijeten. His shipmate informs him that only she and he are the only ones remaining from a away team. An away team that once landed on Tarchannen III. Leijeten grows suspicious when her old friends are disappearing one by one. She goes down to Tarchannen III to investigate a shuttlecraft wreck. When she is back on board the “Enterprise” She experiences a feeling of being suddenly lost. She then starts mutating. Will Geordi face the same fate? This one is a must see. I give it a 9.4.moreless