Interface

Fair
6.7

Geordi tells Troi to #$@* off

By Celedorian, Oct 24, 2012

This Geordi episode is built around an interesting concept: virtual remote technology. It is a bit surprising that they didn't take the idea further, since even today our technology isn't far off from what we see here. (Perhaps they could have had Geordi interfacing with a five foot shuttle that could fly anywhere in and out of starships and covert into a humanoid-like robot; that would have opened up some interesting story possibilities!) Instead they attempt to make the episode more dramatic by making it more personal; we meet Geordi's parents. But all isn't as it seems... unless you've seen this show before, in which case you'll probably know where things are going and how they'll end about halfway through.

On the plus side, Marina Sirtis has a great scene, and Captain Picard gets to give a tongue lashing.

moreless

Boring Geordi story.

By pharoahsdance, Jun 17, 2011

You've got a potentially interesting concept here - a character who is in denial about the loss of a key family member. Unfortunately, Geordi was precisely the wrong character for this concept, which is botched badly by the writers and producers to boot.

Here's the deal - I am not sure Levar Burton, at least at this point in his career, was capable of generating the kind of angst this story merits. And for that matter, why should we care about Geordi's parents? They'd played only a tiny role in the character's development over the previous 6 seasons. All of a sudden we're supposed to care?

Of course, it gets worse because there isn't much exploration of what is clearly a tragic event in a character's life. (And which, to my recollection, is never mentioned it again. I guess in the 24th century people get over loved ones in 7 days or less.) Instead, we're stuck with another cliched "energy life form takes human shape".

A real snoozer, the kind that was unfortunately typical of the 7th season.moreless

By Pink_Floyd_AL, Sep 26, 2006

Geordi is experimenting with some technology that enables him to remotely control a probe. Geordi does this by using his Visor sensory outputs. The probe resembles the robot called Nomad from the original series. During this episode Geordi faces the disappearance of his mother Silva LaForge. Picard breaks the news to Geordi, and Riker volunteers to take over the Raman mission to allow him time to grieve. But Geordi refuses to give up hope that the Hera will be located. Geordi locates the “Raman” and finds all the crew dead. Geordi defies Picard’s orders when he starts seeing his mother.moreless