Liaisons

Episode Reviews (5)

Good
7.2

Forgettable episode.. maybe the definitive forgettable episode

By Celedorian, Oct 23, 2012

With an "alien species manipulating the crew" story that's more common in earlier seasons, "Liaisons" tries to mix the drama of a "Misery" like story with the comedy of a "3rd Rock From the Sun" like story. The result is a bit awkward.

Patrick Stewart tries his darndest to salvage the weak A story about a woman trying to keep Picard trapped with her, but if it ain't on the page, it ain't on the stage. Michael Dorn fares better in the B story which takes advantage of his underrated comedic talents. Troi gets some screen time in a C story that doesn't really amount to much more than enjoying dessert.

In fact, "Liaisons", with no connections to any other episode, might be the most forgettable episode of the series, only notable for being one of three not to have any bridge scenes.

moreless

"Eh" - typical for season 7.

By pharoahsdance, Mar 21, 2009

Once again, an alien race tries to learn more about humanity by playing tricks on it. The best part of the episode, easily, is Worf's subplot. It's played entirely for laughs and generally works.

Troi's subplot - with an ambassador who loves dessert - is pretty dull. Instead, we get lots of planetside time with Picard. Patrick Stewart does his best with a so-so storyline, and in fact manages to lift the story above pure mediocrity. That said, the story would have worked much better if it had been an actual battle of wills between Picard and his captor. Instead, we find out it was all a game!moreless

I loved this episode. Star trek quests to investigate so many cultural, racial, emotional, national, galactic, and scientific frontiers. This episode had a magical effect of portraying incredibly (previously neglected) emotional frontiers.

By johntkucz, Dec 15, 2007

The deliberate hostility towards worf and his slowing brewing anger, was hysterical; like when he was cutting the steak. Like when Data said he had tempermental, demanding, and rude qualities.

Plus, the multiple plot lines is something I always find very appealing.

Although the time-warp (like Dreams or something) were most fascinating, this was amusing.

okay some parts on the planet were very slow. The chemistry with the female-voval, anna, and picard were awkward and boring at best.

I think Riker (or his character) has much obedience to women. He always stands behind troi in kind of a submissive obligatory dutiful companion. Data just does not comply with and can be oblivious to such obsequiousness and Picard is just cognizant of it.moreless

By Pink_Floyd_AL, Sep 25, 2006

The “Enterprise” welcomes aboard two Iyaaran ambassadors, Loquel and Byleth, who are visiting the ship as part of a "cultural exchange". Loquel is assigned to Troi, and Byleth is assigned to Worf. Picard rides a shuttle with Voval, to the Iyaaran home world. Along the way something happens and the shuttle crash lands on a distant planet. By the end of the episode Worf is ready to fight. I would say more but it would ruin the story. I am going to give this one a 6.2. It needed more actionmoreless