Star Trek: The Next Generation

Show Reviews (129)

Great

Where No Man Has Gone Before.

By emeraldcity, May 23, 2014

I thought this show was intended for kind of an Elementary School level audience somehow. Quite unlike the original show. Same with all the subsequent Star Trek Universe shows-basically kids stuff-not offensive but decidedly not true SF.

Star Trek Phase II Fans will catch star Brian Gross in forthcoming web TV series!

By BgCCtv, Jun 04, 2013

Fans of Star Trek Phase II will catch Captain James T. Kirk's Brian Gross in Crime and Consequences, a forthcoming serio-dramedy to web TV. Crime and Consequences delves into the dynamic lives of a group of detectives working in the dangerous Hillside Division of Southern California.

You could cameo with Brian and make your mark on the hottest new web series! Visit Crime and Consequences at . We need your support and want you to be a part of the show's success!

Check out or to learn more!

moreless

Space the final frontier... This has to be my favorite TV show intro ever. Space never looked as good and magnificent as in this introduction.

By twilightboy, Jan 02, 2013

This show has excellent stories although a little dull sometimes. It has some of the best episodes in the entire Star Trek universe. The new CGIs for this show make the whole Enterprise ship come alive. Mission after mission the show takes you to a different planet, different nebula, different place in the universe. Some of the stories overlap and some others are part of series with recurring characters like Q, oh how i wanted to be Q when I was a kid (i always root for the bad guys when they are interesting and smart)

I would have liked a little more phazers being fired but overall it is a great show.moreless

One of the Most Intelligent Shows to Grace the Air-Waves

By dbzguy406, Jun 26, 2012

Today, we find televisions shows to be more often than not one-dimensional, and with good cause: the majority of people love one-dimensional television shows that often do not raise cerebral themes nor query the mind to life's deeper questions. The proof behind this theory lies within the usual top 10 shows here at tv.com, but I digress from this point. The main point is that Star Trek: The Next Generation is a show that is for the intelligent viewer, and shows like this do not exist in prominence anymore Themes such as humanity's purpose, galactic politics (which of course draw upon and translate to the politics of the world today), and the discovery of the unknown permeate throughout this series from episode one to episode 176.

The Next Generation follows the 24th century crew on board the Starship Enterprise D captained by Jean-luc Picard. Joining him on his discovery of the galaxy are Will Riker, Data, Worf, Geordi LaForge, Deanna Troi, Beverly Crusher, and Wesley Crusher. Each character has a unique and integral background within the show, and they help us relate to the show with various allusions to people we know and understand. Picard draws upon the persona of a French philosophe of the Enlightenment (Picard is French after all). He has a strict set of high morals which do not falter throughout the series (let's not talk about the movies) and always relies on them to make the correct, well thought-out judgments. Picard is a natural-born leader as well for he radiates self-confidence and intellect. Picard is joined by his first Commander Will Riker. Riker evolves in the series from a young and eager star fleet officer to a smart, wise, and mature "Number 1" as Picard refers to him as. We find Riker to be very cunning in his tactics not only as a commander, but also with the ladies. Many of us headstrong males can relate well to Riker in these regards. Lieutenant-Commander Data is perhaps the most interesting character in that he is an Android possessing amazing powers who would trade them all for the flaws of humanity. The security chief Lieutenant-Commander Worf is the first Klingon serving in Star Fleet, and there are times we find him having to fight his natural tendencies as a Klingon when he needs to conform to Star Fleet standards, but having been raised by humans, Worf is able to keep himself in check. Geordi LaForge runs engineering as a blind man yet with a sight-enhancing visor which allows him in some respects to see more than even the average person can. He is an every-man who always gets the job done and exceeds expectations. Deanna Troi is a half Betazoid who utilizes her gifts as the ships counselor. She understands the emotions of people so well, and sometimes I imagine myself wanting to talk to her about my meager problems. Doctor Beverly Crusher is an inquisitive and moral doctor (quite similar to Picard in some respects), and is open to new ideas in the world of medicine and even beyond in the scientific community. She is joined by her son, Wesley Crusher who is a genius comparable to Mozart-as stated in the show. His gifts serve the crew of the Enterprise in various creative ways.

Throughout the show, this unique crew chemically reacts with each other to form a new substance: that of efficiency, discovery, and righteousness. We leave this show knowing and loving this crew individually and as a whole. The genius of the show and many other shows is creating this bond with the audience and characters. Beyond that, Star Trek makes us think inwardly after we watch the show, something few shows do. The themes are very deep, even spiritual. I encourage each and every person to watch and think big about what you see. I leave you with this quote, "The human race is a remarkable creature, one with great potential, and I hope Star Trek has helped to show us what we can be if we believe in ourselves and our abilities." Gene Roddenberry, author and creator of Star Trek.moreless

k'ehleyr

By CybexAl, Mar 05, 2012

While Star Trek TNG did much to revitalise the franchise with some stunning story arcs and some fantastic standalone episodes like Yesterday's Enterprise , to name but one of many, it also made some very serious mistakes in ridding itself of brilliant characters played by great character actors and also ill served some of the shows longest running characters like Worf. Chief amongst these is Suzie Plakson's K'ehleyr, an excellent study in independence, intellect power and sexual elegance from a female Kiingon. This half human half Klingon character was the epitomy of sultry intelligent humour and savagery wrapped up neatly in this individual and one of the best realised. She was very captivating as a Federation ambassador and a great narrative lightning rod for exposing Worf's slavish adherence to Klingon tradition. She also allowed us to understand Klingon mating customs. Beyond this, there were several subsequent Klingon stories where her presence would have made a great difference. My understanding was that Michael Piller thought her death would give credence to Worf killing Duras, another very foolish mistake as it did not resolve the plot arc of Worf's dishonour. I'm sure Gene Roddenberry would have prevented this development, but I also think this decision sent the storyline into silly directions with Alexander, k'ehleyr and Worf's son, becoming a spare part that never quite worked without his mother and the conflict between modernity and tradition, something that Star Trek itself is built on.moreless

A follow up to Star Trek

By archangelwho, Aug 19, 2011

It seems at time that Star Trek-TNG goes out of it way to state that there is no God. Does this mean I will not watch Star Trek-TNG. No. There are some storylines I really enjoyed. There are some Star Trek-TNG that I have problems with. “Genesis”, “Who Watches the Watchers” "All Good Things". These are just three I will not watch.

The new Enterprise, under the command of Captain Picard, is by a mysterious omnipotent being called Q. They are put on trial as the representatives of a species of violent savages and for crimes, done by mankind hundreds of years before.

By artaudx, Jun 16, 2011

Do not get me wrong. I was a fan of TNG 20 years ago. Today i watch it with different eyes. Some things i still like, like the naivity of the concept of a united mankind (hello to all american readers), somethings i still can not stand (Will Wheaton). But as far as i can remember, only a hand of viewers liked him.

What i did not realize 20 years ago was the immense amount of bad acting in the pilot episode. Denise Crosby, lesbian archetype, security officer i presume, steadily overreacts or -overact-. unbelievable her reaction in the courtroom, when she histerically cries, that these people (mankind)have saved her planet for barbary (cant recall it precisely).

dialogues are partly simply less than intelligent. especially deanna troy remarks about q are simply stupido.

What i liked, was the Doctor Who like atmosphere in the court-room, Q in his various costumes, the medieval spectators and the Judge Dread like soldiers. In this scene, the supporting cast was much better.

moreless

The worst Star Trek show.

By Angel2408, Jun 16, 2011

I really wanted to like this show. But I just can't get into it.

I have watched all 7 seasons and always hoped it would get better but the only episodes I liked where the ones that featured the Borg. Most of the time I was simply bored to tears. While I like Patrick Stewart, it is not enough to keep me engaged when the rest of the cast is forgettable, the characters Troi, Dr.Crusher and Riker being the worst.

The stories were boring or preaching and always cheesy.

Maybe I would have liked the show better if I had seen it when it came on TV years ago, but today it looks outdated.

And this has nothing to do with it being shot in the 80ies, I like the original Star Trek, so it must be something else.

I can't recommend this show to anyone, I hardly understand the fascination with it.moreless

Boldy Going Where No Sci-Fi Has Ever Been... Star Trek - The Next Generation is one of Science Fictions proudest moments - A profound and timeless classic that endulges the immagination and inspires the soul.

By AdrianCremona, May 10, 2011

There is an unspoken, unwritten moral code that unites thousands around the world - a way of living inspired by a TV show - this is that show.

Set 75 years after the original show, the Flag Ship of the Federation, Galaxy Class - Enterprise D is on the same mission as her namesake - to explore the Universe.

Their adventures vary from the introspective, to adventurous, to playful, escoteric, artistic, scientific and moralistic.

Always, though, the underlying thread is drive for the betterment of all. Now, however, there is the Prime Directive which states that the Federation cannot interfere with a pre-warp culture. There is also the Federation Charter; a set of standards and rules that the crew must abide by.

This is a Star Trek Universe that is removed from the original series. Strange life forms aren't scary monsters - just creatures with the right to live. I think it's said in one of the TNG movies that if they met Kirk or Spock they'd probably have to arrest them!

Born in the midst of the emergence of Political Correctness - TNG tackles serious philosophical issues in the guise of brilliant story telling. Conversely it also touches on the individual - giving valuable insights on every day issues.

The cast is lead by Patrick Stewart (X-Men) as Captain Jean Luc Picard. Stewart at the time was an accomplished stage actor and lends his Shakespearian experience to the callibre of the episodes. In an interview with Stewart he stated that when the filming of TNG commenced he was staying in a hotel in L.A. - he didn't bother to unpack his suitcase becasue he felt the venture wouldn't live past the filming of the first few episodes.

Stewart also commented that a mature bald British Captain, a blind man at the helm and a yellow skinned Android was an odd combination that the fans of Trek would reject.

It is Stewart however who carries the show for its first two seasons and he gains momentum up to the final 7th season. He is passionate and punctual in his portrayals. The first season was poor, however, in the boom times of the 80's they believed in giving shows like this 2 years to grab an audience and by the second season the show is vastly improved. Seaons 4 - 7 are some of the best sci-fi you'll ever see. For people new to TNG - the finale of Season 3 is the best place to start.

In the tradition of the original Trek, in TNG we are treated with countless guest stars like; Kelsey Grammer (Frasier) Leonard Nimoy (Spock) James Doohan (Scotty) Stephen Hawking, Ashley Judd, De Forest Kelly (Bones) Kirsten Dunst, Terri Hatcher and Tim Russ (Tuvok) - just to name a few.

Easily the No.1 science fiction tv show ever made - this series sparked 2 spin-offs; the squeaky clean Star Trek Voyager and the wonderfully sublime, Deep Space Nine.

There aren't many shows that can change your life - TNG is one of them.moreless

Load More Reviews