The Inner Light

Episode Reviews (25)

Superb

Appreciated for the wrong reasons

By cpo1002h, Apr 19, 2014

I loved Patrick Stewart's performance in this episode. I think he did a fantastic job but I think the supporting cast is largely responsible for his standout performance. They prepared the emotional framework central to the plot. Huge thumbs up to the writers for engineering such a perfect vehicle for a story in this genre.

Good episode, but very implausible

By satellite67, Jan 05, 2014

Great acting, very moving episode, and well done ending. A few problems really stick out though (forgiven because of the excellent reasons mentioned above). If this civilization is not advanced beyond sending the unmanned rocket, just how the heck do they create this probe that not only penetrates the Enterprise shields; Crusher can't figure out a way with 23rd century medical technology how to disconnect it from Picard. Not to mention they have Picard live an entire life in 25 minutes. I suppose maybe these people put all their effort into researching this type of technology, but it is still a glaring plot mistake IMHO. Still, I really enjoyed this episode and you feel bad for those people, and Picard at the end.moreless

To experience several decades of an alternate lifetime - a generation - in 30 seconds!

By aprilia1k, Dec 04, 2013

While the average rating is 9.4, quite high, there are some reviewers that feel it might be over-rated relative to some other standout episodes. This might be true for those reviewers who have their own "fav" episodes. But - for me - this is standout because it is a (fairly) unique approach, and certainly for ST TNG, to some classic Sci-Fi concepts like the alternate-reality/universe, time-compression, memory-implant, etc..

The fact that it is quite well-acted (perhaps an understatement) and told within the confines of the 38-minute (1-hour) format makes it even more of an achievement IMFAO (In My F* Arrogant Opinion, as opposed to Laughing My F* A* Off)... darn the folks that thought lowercase 'L' and uppercase "I" (eye) should use an identical symbol in virtually every font. ;-) L != I but l == I ??? Crazy... darn that ADD of mine also. Apologies for a non-review review, but I'd only echo much of the praise from previous reviews anyway - as I said, it's classic for it's atypical presentation (for TNG) and it's new approach to some classic Sci-Fi concepts... I'll leave 0.5 off my rating for posterity. It's still my fav, or is at least tied with ... ;-)moreless

An excellent and unique part of Star Trek: The Next Generation....

By uk6strings, Oct 23, 2012

.... "The Inner Light" is great character piece for Patrick Stewart/Jean-Luc Picard and is subsequently one of the strongest episodes of the entire TNG series. Picard, despite having his memory of the Enterprise fully intact, suddenly finds himself on a different planet and with a different life and a family.

I will put myself out on a limb however, and honestly say that I do find "The Inner Light" to be a slightly overrated episode.

"The Inner Light" is very well written, acted and fairly well shot - however, I would not place it at the very top of the series. Watching Picard live out a full life as a husband, father and statesman opens the door for Patrick Stewart to shine and is very satisfying to the audience to see Picard being able to live a life he would sometimes regret not pursuing. "The Inner Light" is a high quality TNG episode because the Jean-Luc Picard character is such a great character and Patrick Stewart is so good playing that character; but it is not the most re-watchable episode simply because it is so emotionally heavy and feels so unlike the brand of sci-fi that Star Trek usually delivers.

I am supposed to give "The Inner Light" nothing but praise - and it deserves much praise - but I will take a number of TNG episodes ahead of it, regardless of how good it in fact is.moreless

A Must See

By Celedorian, Apr 24, 2012

Named after a Beatles B side, this is without a doubt one of the greatest Star Trek episodes of all time and perhaps the pinnacle of the franchise on television. The episode has no villains, no conflict, no shocking plot twist, and no technobabble; just Picard in a "Quantum Leap" style plot learning to play a flute and adapting to an adopted culture. Stewart (with the guest stars, all engaging in their own right, serving as his supporting cast) plays Picard's gradual acceptance and appreciation for the new situation so powerfully that we as viewers can't help but develop the same feelings as the Captain, leaving us as moved and transformed as Picard himself by the end. Truly a must see for everyone, Star Trek fan or not, this episode should have won Patrick Stewart an Emmy. (It did win the 1993 Hugo Award for Best Dramatic Presentation, ending a dry spell for the franchise that went back to 1968. It was the third of four Star Trek episodes to win the award.)moreless

Picard gets ZAPPED by a probe which brain-washes him to believe he's a citizen on an alien world...

Wackiness Ensues!!!

By belial_77, Oct 31, 2011

Well written and nicely acted... this episode does stand-out among the series, but isn't really anything special imo... I mean, it's touching and all, but basically a filler episode... doesn't have any bearing on the rest of the episodes, I don't think Picard even mentions it again, despite being such a pivotal experience in his life... much like some of the other good episodes of this series, the lack of follow-up on it kinda irritates me... I mean, they have a strong story which could fundamentally change a major character... but by time the next episode rolls around, everything is back to normal...moreless

Enterprise encounters and alien probe and Picard falls unconscious. He wakes up in a different life, married to a woman he's never met. This world is dying. Picard comes to accept his new life and tries to save his new world.

By Remo49, Apr 27, 2011

One of the finest and most touching episodes of the series. Patrick Stewart shows what a fine actor he is. During the episode the viewer is left to wonder what is going on, if this is all in Picard's mind or if it is really happening. We see Picard go through stages of disbelief to final acceptance. He comes to love his new wife and world and learns to play a flute like instrument. In his golden years, Picard loses his wife and witnesses the launch of a probe into space. The ending is quite touching in that it turns out the probe installed a sort of program in Picard's mind. The purpose was to let other civilizations know that this world and it's people had existed and were now gone. Absolutely beautiful.moreless

The perfect Picard-featured episode.

By sephmerrittx, Apr 27, 2011

This is a phenomenal episode. The plot never drags, the sci-fi elements are interesting, and Patrick Stewart gives a great performance.

The time jumps were my favorite part of the episode. It was amazing to me to see someone like Captain Picard say "let's build a nursery." Someone who dislikes children so much, and yet, after five years in his own head, he's been persuaded to have children with a women he had previously never known.

The depth of emotion from Picard here is terrific. He knows the sun is dying, and the planet along with it. His grandson, who he's playing with, won't live long past his current age. I teared up at the end when Picard plays the flute in his quarters, and I hardly ever cry at TV.

Looking at the long-term effects from this episode, it seems like this would have even more of an effect on Picard than "The Best of Both Worlds." He lived an entire life with a family he grew to love and cherish, only to have that taken away, and to re-enter his life on the Enterprise. For most men that would constitute some serious post-traumatic stress disorder; but Picard is made of sterner stuff than most men.

Definitely one of the best I've seen, and I can see why it was put on the Star Trek Viewer's Choice Marathon before the series finale.moreless

Picard lives out another life

By AvatarBlue, Apr 27, 2011

Awesome non-action oriented episode. Every part of it is top quality. Picards acting really takes you the long lost time and race.

The plot focuses on telling of a race that died out long ago when their sun went supernova. The elegant methods used is to have Picard play out the main character who was responsible for the effort to get the probe (encounterted) into space to teach a traveller of their existance.

The storyworld is rich in detail using an efficient set of locations and a group of convincing actors/characters. The problems of the doomed race are played out over the middle and end acts in a truly sympathetic way that really makes you appreciate their personal and soceital plight!

In a strange way, the whole drama and climax is underplayed yet leaves you feeling full of insight into the way they handle their impending fate and the bravery that carries them there!

Awesome story, brilliantly played out with a real subtle knock out ending.moreless

Load More Reviews