The Measure Of A Man

Episode Reviews (12)

Superb

Starfleet Excellence!

By jeremybarger1, Nov 17, 2013

This is quite possibly my favorite Star Trek episode of them all, and that is quite something for being in the second season of TNG, a season I wasn't all that crazy about. I was captivated as this story unfolded. The scene with Picard and Guinan in Ten Forward after Riker's examination of Data was especially great, in my opinion. "The Measure of a Man" obviously makes us think about freedom of the individual, but I was surprised with how powerful it was for me and how emotional the life of an android could make me. If you haven't seen this one, definitely go find it, especially if Data is one of your favorite characters.moreless

The Enterprise must defend Data's status when Starfleet demands his reassignment for study.

By Celedorian, May 29, 2011

This is a landmark episode about Data; but it's really a Picard episode, which gives both Brent Spiner and Patrick Stewart a chance to shine. (Writer Melinda Snodgrass also cleverly works Riker into the story, and gives Guinan a break out moment that serves as a template for all future writers for understanding her niche on the show.) The JAG officer, who has a history with Picard, is perfectly played by Amanda McBroom. This installment raises the abstract, difficult, and timeless question of what sentience is, looks at it from every angle, and beautifully resolves the plot. In short, it does exactly what a science fiction show should, and is easily one of the best early season Star Trek TNG episodes. This is the one that really starts to define the introspective nature of the show and presents bigger concepts rather than better aliens. And it even introduces the poker motif to TNG. Definitely a must see for Star Trek fans.moreless

One of the show's best episodes - an exceptionally well-played morality tale

By Amoyaan, Dec 23, 2010

When this episode first aired, I was just a kid and didn't much appreciate it. To me it was dull as dishwater. But then I was a kid, and what do kids know, right? The nuance and philosophical undertones were lost on me. As was the fact that this was quite probably the best episode of TNG up to this point in the series.

It's a classic Trek morality tale, well-written and deftly-executed. The episode builds up quietly but effectively, culminating in some pretty electrifying courtroom scenes. Riker's case against Data (and the fact he dissembles then deactives him) is plain devastating and there is a powerful twist added when Picard seeks guidance from Guinan, who deals the wild card: this is an issue that has implications of slavery. That this observation is delivered by an African-American actress makes it all the more powerful and stirring.

A powerful episode...although I must question Starfleet's initial declaration that Data is their 'property'. A legal loophole maybe, but sure as hell paints Starfleet in a scarily fascist light.moreless

Stronger than anticipated

By AvatarBlue, Jun 01, 2008

A slow paced episode that relies on the conflict stirred up by a scientist that treats Data as property and wants to dissect him for research.

The plot stands on its own, without any other subplots. However, the theme of slavery is touched upon - based on the fact that Data is sentient and though not human, any forced decisions that he must take would be akin to what happened to the people of Africa, as humans cannot necessarily make the best judgement as to what is sentient.

The main struggle is between Picard (Data rep) and Ryker (Federation). THe location is based almost entirely on a starbase. Though not that stunning its a good example of what starbases look like, esp. the exterior scenes depicting an approaching Enterprise.

Dialogue is legally-oriented as both advocates defend their pov. Cmdr Maddox character does a good job of playing the part of a passionate scientist who through the course of the story changes his mind about view of Data.

The predictable ending, brings everythng to a close of what is a powerful subject, probably to big for an episode of ST, which is why for me it doesnt entirely work. Yet its definitely a strong candidate to watch.

Rykers argument is actually decent and its Picard's argument that fails to be passionate enough - at least for me!moreless

One of the best episodes in TNG and a big leap forward for the series - a great story beautifully realized by fantastic writing and exceptional acting.

By pharoahsdance, May 04, 2008

Up until this point the second season was a substantial improvement on its predecessor, but still somewhat lackluster. But "The Measure of a Man" was a massive leap forward, much better than any of its predecessor and easily worthy of mention next to any other episode of the series.

"Issue shows" in TNG, especially in the first two seasons, tended to be somewhat heavy handed as the writers bludgeoned us over the head with the moral. In this one, the story seems to be about something bad that's going to happen to a favorite character; it's only later on that we realize (maybe at the same time at Picard) the moral implications.

The writing on this episode is among the best -- maybe THE best -- on the series, and I was very surprised to learn it was an unsolicited script by Melinda Snodgrass. Riker and Picard's speeches in the courtroom are particularly memorable, but upon a second viewing a bunch of other gems popped out at me. The histories of various characters -- Data and Maddox, Picard and the JAG -- provide some additional electricity to the plot.

The acting is also exceptional. Despite this episode being "about Data", this is at least as much a Picard episode -- and Patrick Stewart gives a tour-de-force performance, his best up until this point. Brent Spiner and Jonathan Frakes are in peak form, and the two guest characters (Maddox and the JAG) execute perfectly. Guinan's 3rd appearance on the show is the first substantial one -- she would reprise her role as Picard's conscience in future seasons.

I could write more, but I'll end this review with 3 nice touches that I enjoyed:

1) The poker game makes its first appearance. Despite not being directly related to the main story, it provides the perfect setup for what follows.

2) Data's going-away party was a clever idea. Data's ripping off the wrapper is just perfect.

3) Riker's preparation for his prosecution. The excitement he shows at discovering Pinocchio's weakness, followed by his horror at experiencing this excitement, was again a nice touch.moreless

Data is reassigned to a cybernetics specialist who wishes to perform a dangerous dissection on him. Data's right to refuse is brought to the regional JAG office for ruling.

By plasm980, Sep 17, 2006

One of the best (if not the best) episodes of the early seasons. Not only did it provide substantial character development for Data, but it also provided a window into Picard's past. The parallels between the fight for Data's right to choose and several real life situations present and past was what made the episode so compelling to me. Picard's court argument was riveting: it highlighted Stewart's strength as a dramatic actor. A very well done episode overall.

The episode that legally declares Data as an independent individual, setting a precedent for all artifical lifeforms to come...

By esv216, Jul 19, 2006

I love this episode because every character undergoes a significant amount of development. When Commander Maddox visits from Starfleet and announces his intention to conduct experiments on Data\'s brain in an effort to duplicate the technology and create more androids, all characters are forced to consider whether or not an artifical lifeform has inalienable rights. When Data first voices his objection to the procedure, even Picard tries to convince him to go through with it. But when a trial begins to determine whether Data is a person or property, the situation gets complicated quickly. Against his will, Riker is appointed to represent Starfleet, and he makes a convincing argument that Data should not have any rights at all. But ultimately, Picard proves that Data has his own opinions, desires... dare I say feelings? This episode marks the day when Data takes a significant step toward his ultimate dream... being treated as a human.moreless

By Pink_Floyd_AL, Feb 15, 2006

When the "Enterprise" arrives at Starbase 173. Captain Picard meets and old acquaintance Captain Phillipa Louvois. Commander Maddox who also is on Starbase 173 informs Captain Picard of orders to transfer Lt. Commander Data under Maddox's command. Maddox's intent is to disassemble Data. in order to learn how to build more androids like Data. But Data knowing his rights decides to resign Starfleet. Maddox says Data can't resign he is propery of Starfleet because Data is a machine and not a human. Which begins a legal battle is Data sentient being? I recommend this episode it is worth a 10.0moreless

Brilliant

By ReAnimateMe13, Oct 09, 2005

Probably one of my favourite episodes of the show, this was a series classic and a pivital episode also. Brent Spiner as Data was outstanding in this episode, he was brilliant! Without this episode, Season 2 wouldn't have much memorable about it. This episode made the Season in my opinion.

Load More Reviews