The Offspring

Episode Reviews (6)

Great

contridictory episode

By silverfoxy8472, Mar 26, 2014

in season 2 episode 9 the issue that seems to be brought up here i thought was solved this is proven case and point by In "Measure Of A Man," it is established that Data has the right to make his own decisions as much as any other sentient being. If this is the case, and Lal is the same form of life as Data, where in the world does the Admiral get the idea that he can dictate what Lal does? straight from the trivia and quotes of the episode . did they not want to just deal with data being a parent and those issues alone? or is this an indirect way of dealing with women's right issues? but why did they just throw away the decision of the JAG officer? if this is possible could they do something like this to Data? in spite of all this i find it a touching episode and very emotional but it is still good but unfortunately still leaves a slightly bitter taste in my mouth because of the possible undertones.moreless

Not as impressed as other fans....

By uk6strings, Dec 20, 2011

Season 3's "The Offspring" seems to hold a strong place in the hearts of many Star Trek: TNG fans. Although I found it to be good overall with many elements to enjoy, "The Offspring" did not leave as strong an impression on me as it seems to have done for others.

The story goes as follows: Data creates an android in his image with his programing, named Lal; basically his offspring. Starfleet salivates at the android's possibilities and wants to take her (as it ends up choosing to be a "her") away from Data and the Enterprise. Captain Picard has to deal with Starfleet's lack of respect for this new life and tries to find a way to keep Lal with Data. Meanwhile, the basic task of raising Lal proves difficult for Data - as it does for all parents.

Where "The Offspring" goes right is the way that it depicts the trials of parenting. Lal's development is faster than most human children (mostly because she receives regimented updates of Data's programming, but also because it's only a 45-minute episode) but all the steps are there: motor skill development, social skill development, asking life's little questions, asking life's big questions, gaining an identity and becoming self-sufficient. If "The Offspring" affected me in any way it was reminding me of my own children and how much raising them has been a blessing in my life. Of course, Brent Spiner gives an especially great performance of Data in the episode as well. What really makes this performance stand out is the way that Spiner has to portray an emotionless Data going through things that make an ordinary person very emotional.

The other way that "The Offspring" works as a good Star Trek: TNG episode is Captain Picard's role in all of this. Picard is put in the difficult, unique situation in having a new android on board with extraordinary abilities put into his care as ship's captain and defending his friend's right to care for that child against the greedy hands of the Federation. Patrick Stewart rises to the occasion and really impresses on screen.

Unfortunately, I also think that "The Offspring" does not work well as a great episode of Star Trek: TNG. The main reason is how Lal is portrayed. Hallie Todd had the difficult task of portraying Lal but cannot quite make the grade. It takes a great, unique talent to not come off completely awkward as an android - Spiner is great as Data, making the audience like him immediately in just about every scenario. However, Lal comes off as awkward - and not endearingly so. Lal is a very creepy being - I found little to like about watching her; and if you cannot make the most emotional part of the episode work, which I think "The Offspring" does not, it's hard for the episode to be great.

The other problem with "The Offspring" is the casting of Nicolas Coster as Admiral Haftel. Coster is horrible in the role - overacting completely in every scene. His moments in the final scenes are especially awful. Not only is his scene, describing Data's final acts of love towards Lal, poorly constructed on-screen, Coster garners laughs instead of tears as he describes the depressing scene.

Overall, "The Offspring" is a good episode because of Spiner, Stewart and some good execution of some of the story points and themes - however, there are too many crucial flaws for me to consider this one of the best episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation.moreless

Apparently cybernetic females are just as complex to figure out as real ones.

By Celedorian, Oct 07, 2011

This bottle episode is superbly directed by Jonathan Frakes, and features four especially strong performances: Brent Spiner (Data) teams with guest star Hallie Todd (Lal), and Patrick Stewart (Picard) shares most of his scenes with Nicolas Coster (Admiral Haftel). Each twosome has chemistry and brings something unique to the table, making this "parenthood" story fresh, funny, and bitter sweet. Spiner, in particular, shines in a role that demands he be unemotional on the outside while going through a rollercoaster of emotions on the inside. Frakes, in his directorial debut, is only seen briefly as Riker, but he sets up the funniest line of the episode: "Commander, I must ask what your intentions are towards my daughter."moreless

One of the best episodes in the entire series. Funny, touching and ultimately heartbreaking.

By pharoahsdance, Jun 01, 2011

"The Offspring" is, appropriately enough, the offspring of two season 2 episodes – "The Measure of a Man" (in which Data's rights as individual were questions and established) and "Pen Pals" (in which Data befriended a young girl).

Data was a fan favorite, and this kind of episode shows why. The character meshed really well with child actors, probably due to the fact that Data himself possessed a certain wide-eyed, childish innocence. There's a sequence in this episode where the android informs Dr. Crusher he is unable to feel love or any other emotion, and the good doctor replies that she has a hard time believing him. So do we, because Spiner's performance here, while understated, is incredibly emotional.

However, this episode is at least as much about Data's offspring Lal. It's hard to come up with enough superlatives to describe Hailie Todd's performance; she matches her "father" in giving an extremely poignant performance. It's hard to believe that the same actress is playing the robotic Lal of the beginning and the all-too-human Lal of the conclusion. The moments featuring father and daughter alone are among the most intimate of the entire series.

There are also nice supporting performances by Patrick Stewart, Whoopi Goldberg and Marina Sirtis.

In addition, both the writers and the director should be acknowledged. This episode covers an enormous range of emotional ground – while much of it is lighthearted, it is also often thought-provoking (particularly in Data and Picard's conversations) and eventually tragic. And Jonathan Frakes does a superb job in his directorial debut – it's amazing how many subtleties he manages to sneak in, particularly with the Lal character.

Highly recommended viewing, even for non-Star Trek fans.moreless

For those who like thought-provoking, emotional episodes, you sure will not be disappointed.

By dalepremier, Apr 28, 2011

In this episode we get a closer look at the character of Data, one of TNG's fan favorites. We get to see a completely different angle of his pursuit to become human as he creates a "child". But this "child", of course is made of wires and microchips. The battle over control of the new life form, between Starfleet and Capt. Picard adds to an episode that is already filled with plenty of drama. The beauty in the writing of the script is enhanced by a plot building towards a tragic finish. The ending I will not spoil, as it may even bring a tear to you eye.moreless

By Pink_Floyd_AL, Mar 16, 2006

Data creates a android. The newly formed android calls Data “father”. Data considers the android his child. Data names his child Lal. A Starfleet Admiral demands the “Lal” be released into his custody. Like Picard says “What right does a governing body have to demand someone give their child up to them?” I would have to agree with Picard on this one. Data did a good job creating Lal. Lal is further advanced than Data. She can use contraction’s. She begins to feel emotions. I am going to rate this episode a 8.3 for Data greatest achievement.moreless