The Pegasus

Episode Reviews (11)

Great

Blame Gene Roddenberry

By snake63, Aug 14, 2014

It was Gene Roddenberry's vision of an idealistic vision of a non violent Federation He considered cloaking technology goes against UFP principles. In reality it would be totally unacceptable to allow an enemy to have such a tactical advantage. This showed cracks in the Federation and Starfleet and gave reasons for The Marquis.

UFP has idiots for the treaty phase

By satellite67, Jan 07, 2014

I agree with fairusers review. What kind of moron gives all the advantage to the enemy? The Romulans have never in good faith tried to help the Federation, just the opposite actually. Watch Season 5 episode "The Next Phase". The Romulans are trying to do the same thing with their cloaking device, and they try to destroy the Enterprise AFTER Picard and crew SAVE THEM FROM CERTAIN DEATH when it goes wrong. Seriously? Why is Picard so trusting of the Romulans after that? This episode reeks of a peace loving tree hugger that thinks you should always trust your enemy. If you watch Deep Space 9 then you would REALLY hate this episode, because Romulans have used the cloaking device to kill thousands of Starfleet personnel in many of the meetings that have taken place since TOS.moreless

Make it so, number one

By Celedorian, Nov 01, 2012

This dark Riker episode follows the same formula as "The First Duty" from the fifth season; but with a richer backstory and higher stakes. It's a mystery episode, with the audience (and Captain Picard) entering the fray a bit behind the story and having to play catch up, putting the pieces of the puzzle together as the story progresses. With this sort of secretive plot, it's important to get powerhouse acting performances, as nonverbal communication is often more important than what's in the script. Thankfully, Jonathan Frakes (who gives, perhaps, his finest performance in the series) is joined by Terry O'Quinn (who would join Ricardo Montalban in the "Star Trek Guest Star Hall of Fame" if someone ever created one). Together, with Patrick Stewart, and under the direction of LeVar Burton (in his second directorial outing and his second Riker episode) they build the drama to its breaking point before a satisfying ending that sadly never gets a sequel ... although Enterprise (the series) uses this episode as a frame to nest its finale episode.moreless

Spoiler alert: An episode that shows that the Federation needs some better diplomats, and that they got rolled in their non-proliferation treaty.

By fairuser, Oct 01, 2011

So the Federation actually negotiated and signed a treaty that allowed the Romulans and Cardassians and other Federation enemies keep cloaking devices, so they can constantly sneak up on Federation vessels, and bans the Federation from developing similar technology? Who negotiated this treaty, Neville Chamberlain? And Picard's self-righteousness seems out of character, since he feels protecting his ship is all-important. Wouldn't using such a cloaking device be the ultimate protection for his ship? Also weird is after being shocked at reading of the Pegasus mutiny, hours later he is violating direct orders by the Admiral. Only in this upside down, better-us-dead-than-someone-else universe would the guys trying to make their team stronger be the bad guys, and the appeasers the good guys. Very disturbing, and exactly why I hope the USA never joins such an inter-planetary organization. The UN and NATO are bad enough!moreless

Duty, loyalty, caught between a rock and a hard place.

By camelot2302, Apr 28, 2011

One of the best Star Trek TNG episodes. Terry O'Quinn (currently in "Lost") in one of his earlier performances as Admiral Pressman, back in the days when O'Quinn had hair! It's funny to see how he acted back then and how he acts now!

I especially liked how this episode gave some insight into Riker's career on the Starship Pegasus before he came to the Enterprise. It's also interesting to find out why Starfleet never developed their own cloaking technology (a question I've often wondered). The incident in this episode pits Riker against a ruthless hawkish admiral (O'Quinn) and Riker is ordered to conceal what's going on from Picard. But Picard does some research of his own and finds out there was a mutiny on the Pegasus while under the command of Pressman, 12 years previously. From then on, everything starts to fall into place...moreless

Riker's old captain shows up to bring back ghosts from the past...

Wackiness Ensues!

By belial_77, Apr 28, 2011

I watched this episode for two reasons 1.) Being a fan of Carnivale and Battlestar Galactica's remake, I wanted to see some more of Ronald Moore's writing... and 2.) I thought it would be funny seeing Locke from Lost in a Star Fleet Uniform...

And they both paid off!!! Moore's darker, more militaristic style is shown in this episode full of tense moral questions involving the chain of command (something that' brought up in BSG quite a bit)... Should Riker obey the orders of a superior officer, even if he morally objects to the decision? or should he disregard the Admiral's orders and bring all the old skeletons to light? exactlly the type of tension i expect from Moore's writing...

and also Locke with more, darker hair in a tight star-fleet uniform made me laugh for about 10 min straight! I kept expecting the giant smoke monster to show up and teach those Romulans what's up! But then again, it only attacks guys named Eko and CGI trees...moreless

With the possible exception of "All Good Things", easily the best episode of the uneven seventh season.

By pharoahsdance, Apr 28, 2011

It's sad, but "The Pegasus" comes less than halfway through TNG's seventh season. What follows is one of the series' longest stretch of mediocre episodes, with the exception the excellent "Lower Decks", "Preemptive Strike", and series finale.

This episode inevitably evokes two episodes - "The Defector" (classic battle of wits with the Romulans) and "The Drumhead" (classic battle of wits with a rogue Starfleet admiral). Once the plot gets going, it rushes past and keeps the viewer on the edge of the seat. We get Picard dressing down Riker for maybe the only time in the series, showing off Patrick Stewart's acting ability. We get Jonathan Frakes showing, as he often did late in the series, that he was not an acting lightweight.

Exceptional and a nice little memento of what TNG could do at its peak.moreless

By Pink_Floyd_AL, Oct 11, 2006

Picard is under orders from Starfleet to rendezvous with Admiral Pressman. Picard and Riker beam him aboard. Pressman’s agenda is to find the Pegasus before it falls in Romulan hands. Pressman is Riker former commanding officer. Pressman informs Riker of the mission and tells him not to tell Picard. Picard with his hands tied has to trust the Admiral. The “Enteprise” conducts a search and finds the “Pegasus” Pressman orders the ship into a crack in the asteroid. They get sealed in by mistake by a romulan ship. I think it was intended. Now how will they get out?moreless

Riker's ex captain comes aboard to help protect a secret.

By pagman_rox, Sep 25, 2005

The only reason I am writing this review is because I just watched the episode and felt that I should. What was so cool was that it had Locke from Lost playing the admiral. I didn't recognize him the last time I watched the episode but now I do and I was like wow.

It was a good episode. It had a strong plot and I liked how they added the Romulans who actually have cloaking technology to the mix as the kind of ticking clock.

Overall it was a good episode and I think that it proved why this is such a good series.moreless

Great

By Shardyk, Jun 30, 2005

Hey, it's Terry O'Quinn... before he was a household face. He's noticeable thinner as Erik Pressman than he is as Lost's John Locke.

I'm trying not to think about the Enteprise finale "These Are The Voyages..." while I'm watching this, but it's diffucult to forget it.

Is Patrick Stewart high in this episode? Picard is walking around laughing and being jolly in the first half of the episode. It's pretty interesting.

It's nice to see Riker's utmost loyalty to Starfleet. I want to see some novels about Kirk's time on the Pegasus under Pressman. Maybe we'll get to see something in an upcoming Lost Era book.

Excellent episode. Top notch.moreless