Where No One Has Gone Before

Episode Reviews (17)

Great

A Federation propulsion "expert" and his assistant accidentally flings the Enterprise 350 million light years from home.

By Celedorian, Mar 18, 2011

For the first season of this show, this isn't a bad episode. The script is interesting, the casting is good, the optical effects are especially nifty; the end result is that you can see TNG somewhat coming together here. That said, there is still some embarrassing clunkyness in the script – particularly concerning Wesley. And the actors are still working on getting their characters down. But hey, Rome wasn't built in a day. On a side note, the same sort of plot would happen to the crew of Voyager in their pilot… but it would take them quite a bit longer to get back home!moreless

An arrogant propulsion specialist and his mysterious assistant arrive on the Enterprise to modify the warp drives, but an accident sends the ship hurtling over millions of light years and galaxies away. Easily the best TNG episode thus far...

By Jay-Spacedust, Feb 22, 2011

This review contains spoilers.

Finally! A decent 'Next Generation' episode that isn't cringe-worthy to watch.

Just as new viewers were wondering if it might be time to call it a day on this new incarnation, after a fair Pilot but some pretty dodgy follow up episodes, at last a semi-decent story comes along with "Where No One Has Gone Before".

No simple Original Series plot rehash, no awkward blaxploitation story, no laughable introduction of a "big new alien menace", THIS episode finally has a story worth watching.

The previous episodes of the series had a definite rather ropey, uncertain feel to them; "Where No One Has Gone Before" is the first real episode, in my opinion, to have a more settled, slick feel to them, a welcome sign that the series might finally be finding its feet.

One thing that sticks out in the first season, and this episode in particular, is that, at this stage, there is no regular engineer chief, a position that would not be filled on a regular basis until it was given over to Geordi at the start of the second season. He sure wouldn't have let anyone tamper around with his engines sending the ship hurtling out of the known galaxy!

The arrogant yet incompetent Kosinski is perfectly played by Stanley Kamel, but star of the show is Eric Menyuk as his mysterious assistant, "The Traveller". Although some don't care for the metaphysical ramblings, I thought Menyuk did really well in the role and, outside of Q in the Pilot, makes the Traveller the first story guest character of any real note in TNG.

Zipped off to galaxy unknown and the curious properties that come with it, the writers employ the old "crew members' imaginations get the better of them and act out of character" chestnut; it had already been done a few episodes previously in (the terrible) "The Naked Now", which itself was a reworking of the Original Series' "The Naked Time", and there are a number of similar examples in Trek lore. Although I suppose we got the nice scene of Picard meeting his dead mother, I felt these "imagination" scenes were mostly used to pad out the story, and the only real element of the episode that bring my overall rating down a little.

And then, of course, there is the development of Wesley. I really liked the strange bond that Wes and the Traveller developed through the episode. Some have criticised the revelation that Wesley is "special"; well, I'm not exactly Wesley's biggest fan, but at least it gives some potential to the character, other than being the annoying brat who seems to save the ship every five minutes.

Although maybe dated now, the special effects of the unknown galaxy actually aren't too bad coming from a modest 1987 TV budget, and in fairness actually hold up quite well today.

I also liked the in-episode musical score of this one, sounding suitably mysterious, and not like the cheap-sounding synthesised music heard in some other episodes of the season.

When I first watched this episode, when it was first shown here in the U.K. on BBC Two on October 1990, I had become a little disappointed by this new Trek incarnation, but this episode blew me away! Although definitely superseded by countless later instalments, I'm surprised that so many don't particularly like this episode. In my opinion, at least it has a decent (and original!) plot, and shows what TNG might actually be capable of after all!

I know many will disagree, but I like this episode enough (and have enough fond memories of how taken with it when I first saw it as a youth 21 years ago), that I give it a very strong 9.5. (It is only the aforementioned "imagination" sequences that maybe stop it getting a top-scoring 10 from me!)moreless

Okay but the show doesn't quite come together.

By Oddities2007, Feb 22, 2011

An okay episode making good use of young Wesley Crusher even if it does not really commit to an explanation for him being ‘special’ relying on vague statements and ideas from the mysterious Traveller. Humanity has a long way to go we are reminded – a theme that is laboured quite a lot in this series. The ideas of the script are largely well executed and the Traveller makes for an intriguing presence but the pace is slow and somehow the show doesn’t quite pull together. Ultimately this is a show where the whole is less than the sum of its parts.moreless

The traveller reveals Wesley to be more special than we'd ever thought he was...

By Data1991, Feb 22, 2011

The traveller make his introduction to the show in this episode in what is arguably one of the most creative storylines ever created in the first season. The creativity is at its peak now and I must admit that I did enjoy going back to watch this episode again because on repeated viewings you as the viewer gets to respect this story so much more.

Wesley has been bashed many times by star trek fans; because he saves the ship one too many time, yes I must agree that this does happen a lot and seems to serve as a get-out clause on the writers side but never-the-less this episode is one of Wesleys best episodes of the series.

The acting is still a little low-key and nothing special but getting better already, Patrick Stewart is really good and keeps this cast working together very well.moreless

Days of "The Boy" are gone - the days of "Acting Ensign Wesley Crusher" begin....

By uk6strings, Feb 22, 2011

"Where No Man Has Gone Before" is hardly a bad episode, but it certainly is disappointing and not one of the stronger episodes of season one. This is a mixed-bag episode, filled with good and bad. The episode is not all bad - the special effects are pretty good for late 80s TV standards and Biff Yeager makes a small but entertaining showing as Argyle. The story's main idea is good if you ask me: a powerful being tosses the Enterprise thousands of light-years away from home and the Enterprise has to find someway to get back. Unfortunately the story is done poorly overall (as ideas and reality get intertwined and unintentional hilarity ensues) and the guest stars disappoint (Eric Menyuk is awful as The Traveler and Stanley Kamel could not be more irritating). But Wesley Crusher gets promoted to Acting Ensign and "Where No Man Has Gone Before" wedges its shoe in the door and becomes an important Next Generation episode whether it deserves to or not.moreless

Good premise, but poor execution.

By pharoahsdance, Feb 22, 2011

This is another 1st season episode that could have been very good had it been written and filmed later in the series but instead falls far short of its potential. (Though judging by season 7's weak "Journey's End", perhaps not.)

The basic summary -- a mysterious being, "The Traveler", comes aboard the Enterprise and causes it to travel to distant regions of the galaxy. At a certain point the ship reaches an area of space where "thoughts, energy and matter become interchangeable" (don't ask), putting the ship in grave danger. During this adventure we discover that the Traveler has a special interest in Wesley Crusher.

Let's start with the good things: the guy playing Kosinski was great, exuding exactly the kind of over-the-top arrogance that the character needed. And as I said, the concept of the Traveler -- a benevolent, super-intelligent being who studies humans by secretly immersing himself among them, a sort of anti-Q -- is intriguing. This episode also has a little bit more drama than predecessors like "The Last Outpost" and "A Matter of Honor". ("Little" being the operative word.)

But... the shortcomings are enormous. The episode is just chock-full of philosophical claptrap (matter... thoughts... energy... -- WOAH!). And if that wasn't bad enough, this was probably the episode that turned Wesley Crusher from an amusing non-entity to the target of vitriolic abuse by TNG fans. Poor Wil Wheaton -- even he must have groaned when the Traveler tells Picard that Wesley reminds him of Mozart. (I KID YOU NOT.) The closing bit where Picard promotes Wesley to "Acting Ensign" and the kid sits like a complete goofball on the bridge is painful to watch.

Overall this episode does better than other early TNG because the plot is semi-interesting. But the story is poorly developed and all the Wesley nonsense are major drags.moreless

Introduction to the Traveller

By AvatarBlue, Apr 15, 2008

The point of this episode was to introduce the Traveller and elevate Wesley from being the ships "stow-away" to Picard's "cabin boy". I guess the original thinking for this was to try to give young [male] viers the vehicle to imagine they were Wesley. Ironically that he became almost as hated as Ryker! I guess genius in end always leads to envy then hatred!

Still the episode does work well, though I think the subtefuge of the starfleet expert just introduced a character that wasnt needed. Then again, taking him away would have led to less conflict. As it is, its barely above average imo, but you should watch it if you intend to understand later season events concerning Wesley and the Traveller. Not the best episode, but good nonetheless.moreless

This was an excellent installment in this series.

By Gaaraguy, Dec 21, 2006

I really liked this episode because of the Traveller and how they go past the Milky Way into another galaxy and then they see that amazing spacial phenomena. I enjoyed that they traveled to the "Edge", "Beginning", or "End" of the universe. It is really cool that the crewmembers have their brains messed with by the special spacial configuration of the quantum region in which they are situated.

By Pink_Floyd_AL, Oct 30, 2006

The “Enterprise” crew at the request of Starfleet is running tests on the ship’s propulsion system. The tests are being conducted by Kosinski and a unusual person known as the traveler. The test begins. Before long the “Enterprise” passes Warp 10. The ship keeps going faster and faster. Picard calls for all-stop. The ship is somewhere outside the Milky Way. Now being a million light years away from their last position. Picard wants answers. Picard suggest reversing course. This time the “Enterprise” is on the edge of the universe. Now how will the crew get home.moreless

Load More Reviews