The Omega Glory

Episode Reviews (7)

Fair
6.6

mixed messages, confused plot, requires WAY to much suspension of disbelief

By kyravon, Feb 06, 2014

The episode is supposed to be about a parallel world where communism triumphed in the "cold" war.

In the intial set up - we're told the cities are peaceful places surrounded by warringsavages.

Yet as soon as the parallel is revealed and the "savages" are shown to be quasi-Americans, we're supposed to rejoice that the warlike clan has taken over the peaceful cities? As soon as they (completely unrealistically) whip out their tattered American flag, recite the pledge and the Declaration of Independence it's the best solution? (and as others have said it simply was too much of a stretch to believe - and I'm willing to suspend disbelief pretty far for a sci-fi show).

As others have pointed out, they've already done the "just like earth" (20's Chicago & Nazis) episodes and they've done the someone violating the Prime DIrective a couple of times. They should have stuck with the disease/immunization and quest for "fountain of youth" angle and dropped the political analogy.

I have to agree that this was one of the worst of the episodes (maybe a tie for the episode where Uhura is raped & they're sold as slaves)... though at least in this episode we didn't have to watch Kirk make out with more alien 'babes'....

moreless

The third of the parallel world clunkers ...

By peck2000, May 25, 2012

As if "Piece of the Action" and "Patterns of Force" weren't bad enough, here we have an episode that asks us to believe a savage planet on the other side of the galaxy with no contact with Earth could independently evolve a Declaration of Independence ... and Kirk uses this realisation to recite the familar words (would they be as familiar to Kirk in the 23rd Century, when presumably the USA no longer exists?) and prove to the Aliens that he is One of Them ...

It really does stretch the audience's Suspension of Disbelief to the absolute limit.

Pretty terrible, really.moreless

The worst Star Trek episode ever… "Bottom of the barrel" is probably to good a classification...

By nunomfilipe, Nov 14, 2011

If ever want to refer to a bad Star Trek episode, in all the different series (and that is well over 500 episodes), this would be the one to mention.

It is incredible how, a series that was so influential in Sci-fi history and that personally I like, can have an episode as bad as this one.

The reason it is this bad has all to do with the plot / story. As a lover of science-fiction in general, I can understand strange and unlikely stories, like time travel, parallel universes, etc.. Not that they exist or could exist (maybe they, maybe they do not), but in this type of episodes the stories are fun and we can follow it. However, now we come to ” The Omega Glory”. A history was about replicating a possible outcome to the America versus the communism fight. The Yang (=Yankees= Americans) have lost a war against the communism and have to fight back to get it back. The problem is not this concept, it is that the parts have names similar to the original and the Yang have the same constitution, declaration of independence and flag. Exactly the same… in a planet light-years way, with no previous contact. Come on. How can believe it? Can you be more egocentric? It is not possible…

Luckily, this is the worst episode and there are not any other this bad. Some better, or not quite as good, but none that is quite this bad…moreless

The Enterprise finds the crew of the USS Exeter wiped out by an unknown plague, and its only survivor on a planet on which the inhabitants are seemingly immortal, and engaged in a Cold War-like conflict. One of my lesser favourite episodes...

By Jay-Spacedust, Dec 09, 2010

As my reviews for other episodes around the period of this one probably reflect, I try to find good in even the weaker stories. But in the case of "The Omega Glory" ... this one just didn't work for me, for various reasons.

I wasn't keen that the interior of the USS Exeter looked *exactly* the same as the Enterprise (in an obvious recycling of the Enterprise set) – I would have liked to have seen a different colour scheme, or at very least a couple of details changed. Obviously this was down to budget and time restrictions, but it didn't exactly get the episode off to a good start for me.

The whole 'parallel Cold War' plot also seemed a bit lazy. Bearing in mind that this episode comes close behind "A Piece of the Action" and "Patterns of Force", both of which deal with parallels to Earth time periods, by now – and so close together – the whole concept felt very weak and over-coincidental.

There were some moments and elements that could maybe have been good – the fight sequences, for example, aren't bad, and William Shatner and Morgan Woodward seemed to do most of their own stunts – but for some reason, this whole episode just didn't go down that well with me at all.

Ordinarily I prefer planet-based episodes such as this compared to ship-bound stories, but not with this one.

Maybe I missed something (I confess to my attention wandering a bit later on, due to not really enjoying the episode), but the whole parallel-to-America, flag and Pledge of Allegiance and all, didn't seem fully explained, and far too coincidental. The final act, complete with Kirk's obligatory 'speech of the week', also seemed a bit too preachy for my liking.

Then there was Spock's telepathic thing with the woman that he did simply with his eyes – where did that come from? Did I miss something? As far as I know, this was never used again in the series, and rightly so.

This story was one of several considered as the 'second pilot' to the series. I'm glad they went with "Where No Man Has Gone Before" instead!

All-in-all... not one of my favourites. For the reasons listed above, and for some things that I just can't quite put my finger on. This one just doesn't feel right.moreless

Kirk impresses everybody by pledging allegiance to the flag

By hrtonslv, Dec 09, 2010

Quite a silly plot, huh? It was hard not to roll my eyes around when the American flag came out proudly on display. With all the ridiculousness, the episode is still watchable. "There's no serum! There's no serum! All of this is for nothing!" And even though I am not an ethnocentric person by any stretch of the imagination, it was interesting and informative to hear Kirk get so emotional about what our forefathers were trying to translate to us in it's documents.moreless

A renegade Captain's interference with a primitive society on an alien planet leads to Captain Kirk and Mr. Spock becoming involved with the planet's cold war.

By Celedorian, Nov 27, 2010

This episode has one of my favorite titles! But the episode itself, which was actually proposed as a pilot back when Gene Roddenberry was trying to sell the series, isn't one of Trek's better offerings. Part of the problem is that the patriotism comes off as rather silly, but perhaps the greater problem is that the script is, on the whole, rather dull. William Shatner tries to save it with one of his better performances, but it's an uphill battle. Morgan Woodward, who appeared in the first season of Star Trek as a different character (who was involved with Trek's first Vulcan mind meld), is good as Captain Tracey, but I can't say the same for the other guest stars (Roy Jensen as Cloud William and Irene Kelley as Sirah).moreless