The Way to Eden

Episode Reviews (17)

Mediocre
5.7

You read it right! 9 for 'bottom of the barrel'

By HypnoToad72, Apr 15, 2013

This one shows off the best and worst of Trek in the 60s.

Best because it wants to show opposing points in an issue without being preachy (hippies who want to get away from the technological society that eats away at them), and best because this one is as hokey as they come!

Chekov is now a wind-up soldier than a half-rebel.

For season 3, Spock is surprisingly well handled.

And I dig the music...

But given how astute they\'ve been in the past, where are the Romulans? Why do the hippies agree to Doctor Severin\'s goal to murder the crew of the Enterprise?! They seem concerned, but are so spineless they\'ll blindly obey that creep?! Doesn\'t make much for their purported morals... And best of all, Charles Napier with go-go boots on! Although the hair dye was atrocious...

All in all, the only thing this episode tackles is the hippie crisis of the 1960s. It, much like the hippies, don\'t know what to go do with themselves but sure look and sound nice...

It\'s so bad it\'s good. I can't deny it's mindless guilty pleasure fun, and the music is so cool I bought the Star Trek complete series soundtrack collection in part because of the music in this episode... not bad for a show that was already considered "garbage fodder" by the not knowing the show had reached their target market since day 1 (the Neilsen rating issue - makes a good webmoreless

Ughhh

By SFBarbear, Oct 23, 2012

This is one of the weakest episodes. Space hippies, bad space hippie music and a guy with cauliflower for ears.. It's just awful and by the end of you are glad they all die.!

Explains the times to a "T"

By shootist, Jun 14, 2012

"Headin out to Eden......yyyyeaaaaaaaa bruthaaa" I actually sing that to my 3 year old and 10 month old sometimes in the morning. How life changes!

As a child of the 70s and 80s somehow this was a key part of my hippie understanding. Although, growing up in the SF Bay area - a LOT of folks pretty much looked like these guys! In a way; this is a great reminder for me of what it was like to walk through Berkeley back then.

The songs to me are somewhat profound and I think in 50 years this episode will be used to explain the times to a T. Remember; the hippie movement and indeed the punk rock movement (to which I'm a bit more related to due to my age) were not orchestrations with 60 piece symphonies but improvisational from-the-heart verses that skipped a lot of fakery.

I've heard people who have commented that this episode as unqualified since it was written by a man in his 40's. Wow, I remember going to meetings as a 9 year old kid watching guys in their 40's telling kids in their 20's what to do and HOW to protest! And as far as it being unrealistic that the 'hippies would kill the enterprise and bail' to their Eden? How nave that thought is about the times and the hippie movement or any strong movement. Selfish people i.e. Jim Jones, Lenin, et al will do whatever it takes to take power and further their goals. If it means killing off an antiseptic flying aluminum space computer (Enterprise) or 3,000 people in South America with Kool-aid - then these are the choices they had to make. 1990's Heaven's Gate Cult was in the same boat. Hippies, Nazis, Zulus, whomever they'll do what's needed to get their long-smoked-over ideals implemented. Right?

The third season is the truest reflection of the times of all the seasons (of course) and it seems sometimes they almost completely lose their space subtext and went metaphor all-the-way. Case in point one of my favorite episodes "The Savage Curtain" which explains all you need to know about the conflict back then. Are we rid of it? Don't kid yourselves.moreless

The Enterprise picks up a group of futuristic hippies, one of whom Chekov has a past with. The group, led by a crazed doctor, are searching for a paradise planet, and will go to any lengths to find it. The infamously bad "space hippies" episode...

By Jay-Spacedust, Nov 20, 2011

Although not a complete classic, the previous broadcast episode, "Requiem for Methuselah", showed that even at this late stage the Original Series was capable of dishing up a semi-reasonable episode. Sadly, with "The Way to Eden", standards really plummet back down, and is a reminder of just how weak much of the third season sadly was. There were some true duds in the third season, and this one may even be worse than the terrible "Spock's Brain"!

As with many episodes, the story tries to reflect something of the times of which it was made. But whereas others make for interesting analogies, this one just falls flat, and beyond anything else is just pain embarrassing.

It is an intriguing twist to have Mr. Spock of all people have some empathy with the hippies, but beyond that, very little is interesting about this episode.

One of the big problems is that the "space hippies" are just not an interesting bunch. The crazy doctor leader (whose ears are enough to make Spock's seem normal!) just doesn't have any of the character or 'oomph' needed for such a story, and his followers are just as dull.

Charles Napier, a regular TV bad guy of in many guest spots of the 1970s and '80s, seems bizarrely cast here, and Chekov – who looks set to have a storyline devoted to him – has no spark with his ex-girlfriend, who again is a very weak character.

Then there are the songs, most of which seem added in just to fill the running time, and which have some truly horrendous lip-syncing.

The regular crew (bar Uhura, in one of just a couple of episodes where her position is filled by another crewmember) seem to just go through the motions here, practically acknowledging that this is a truly bad story from start to finish.

All-in-all, I'd put this in the worst three episodes of the Original Series. The show is clearly on its last legs by this stage, and this episode feels like one of the final nails ion the once-great series' coffin.moreless

Turn on, tune in, and drop out! The hippies are feelin' groovy. It's the Brady Bunch on acid meets the Manson Family, and they're sticking it to THE MAN, er, Captain Kirk. Spock can grok it, tho.

By altotick, Nov 20, 2011

Seriously, though. This is a really bad episode that almost deserves the "Jumping the Shark" rating. It's approaching the "Poochy" level of badness of adding some "hip" and "relevant" characters to try garnering falling ratings. It both capitalizes on the hippie movement and critiques the hippie movement at the same time. How's that for confusing?

Chekhov's girlfriend has perhaps an even more hokey accent than he does and the two of them have even less chemistry than Anakin Skywalker and Queen Amidala in Episode II. Talk about painful to watch. They're wretchedly bad.

Meanwhile the show manage to include a few musical numbers lip synced and played on prop swords with strings and bicycle wheels. Amazingly these instruments sound like guitars. Spock's Vulcan instrument sounds like a guitar with a little bit of organ in the background. Those are some hep space cats. The groovy spell their music casts on the crew is funny. The people dancing and grooving to the music look really awkward. Also the "Wilma Flinstone" girl in the band (you'll know who I mean when you watch) looks a little out of place and embarrassed.

Meanwhile, any sense of why these kids might be doing what they're doing is completely missing. Though there was a reference to "Planet Tiburon," it's about as much context as we get. Tiburon is a rich, white enclave in the Bay Area across the bay from San Francisco. Presumably, many of the rich white parents of the 60s were confused as to why their promising and smart kids were hanging out in the Haight-Ashbury or Berkeley and rebelling against authority, dropping out of school (or life), smoking a lot of dope, having a lot of sex and "ruining" their upper-middle-class achievement potential.

At least the hippies of the 60s had some legitimate reasons for rebellion, even if a good number of them were simply protesting so that they could smoke more weed and make more love. Certainly it can be argued that the Vietnam war, minority civil rights, womens rights, free speech, and environmental concerns were all issues that deserved to be addressed. Who can blame hippie kids for feeling they had to create their own culture in opposition to a culture that refused to address many real issues and pushed to maintain the status quo. That, plus they were feelin' groovy and indulging their hedonistic side.

But since The Enterprise and The Federation is pretty much portrayed as a Utopia (aside from a few jerks in Star Fleet Command and women being mini-skirted and sexified), why are the kids starting a counter-culture? There is something vague about computers in there, but is there any reason they'd doing anything beside simply indulging themselves?

It's a weak episode, though entertainingly bad at times.

You've also got to love the one hippie dude's prosthetic elephant ears.moreless

Awful episode, yikes.

By NHLFever, Oct 06, 2011

Under the dictionary heading short-sighted (if insulting and lazy were already taken), I expect to find a reference to this plot. I doubt there's a single worse example in all of trek, of contemporary sociopolitical entities shamelessly shoving aside any semblance of intelligent, thoughtful consideration of the trek universe or the future. This is the richness of trek, pimped out heartlessly to the cheapest, most temporary of all things, a brief few years of regional pop culture.

Not that ST is in any way free this the rest of the time. The entire series explores the great galaxy of the unknown and diverse, and by that I mean the great galaxy of all things essentially familiar to 1960's America, with alien names. Every few episodes the enterprise 'against astronomical odds' runs into a culture, what do you know, again exactly like earth inhabited by attractive fair-skinned human look-alikes. Of course we can't crucify it for that, it definitely made new strides in a revolutionary direction and I'm sure every other show of the era was 100 times more culturo-centric than trek.

But onto the matter at hand. Brutal, shameless selling out in this episode. Hippies? I can't tell whether the episode is trying to give a moral lesson in support of their worldview or just use them because it was a familiar cultural device. ST is no stranger to the classic 'establishment vs not-the-establishment' story, but in those cases the rebel/whatever groups at least had some conceivable point or plausible goal. This group of clowns appear to be culturally contrarian simply for its own sake. Their goal is getting to Eden, but not only is it a random, meaningless and unexplained goal disconnected from anything else in ST, it also has not the slightest analogy to the real life hippies of the time. I'm thinking the conversation went like this:

Writer 1: Hey you know hippies are kind of a thing now hey?

Writer 2: You're right. ok let's put them into an episode, we'll get the kids watchin!

Writer 1: Good point, well what do hippies do?

Writer 2: They sit around and wear flowers.

Writer 1: Ya but I mean for the show - what is there actual goal?

Writer 2: No idea, but we better give them something.

Writer 1: To the writing room!

Writer 2: You mean that room where you keep all the previous sci-fi scripts and your xerox machine?

Writer 1: Quit bothering me, I'm working here.

Or something along those lines. With no appreciation of what the hippie movement stood for, the hippies were given a random goal with no bearing on their real-life counterparts. Not that those guys did anything meaningful either, but still. That same goal could have (and has) been better used by Alien Of The Week and thereby had a reasonable chance of making sense or at least existing in some reasonable way within the trek universe. Spock playing with them was goofy, and when he actually starts grooving his head to the beat, you just feel sorry for the guys who wanted to, you know, actually keep a real show going instead of this pathetic dunce-fest.

In reality I really enjoy trek and most of the episodes, and I'm comforted by the one transcendent and universal truth that trek conveyed beyond all others - that in a time of turmoil it reminded us that no matter what size, creed, color, form, home planet or value-system someone can hold, females will always have nice legs and wear 60's miniskirts.moreless

The crew of the Enterprise go headin' out to Eden. (Yay, brother).

By Celedorian, Oct 06, 2011

Yes, it's one of the most infamous Star Trek episodes, right up there with "Spock's Brain" on the "campiness" scale. The silliness stems from the fact that the episode was written about young people by an old person (Arthur Heinemann). It's sort of like having your grandfather write a story about you and your teenage friends. Then there's the problem of Heinemann (at producer Fred Freiberger's request) changing the lead female part from McCoy's daughter to a love interest for Chekov. In one swift stroke (done so because Freiberger didn't want it insinuated that McCoy is enough to have a grown daughter, which might make people begin to think of Kirk, Spock, and McCoy as "old,") Heinemann took away our reason to actually care about the hippies and turned Chekov into the rigid, inflexible voice of reason you'd expect from someone older. (Meanwhile, Spock is the groovy, understanding character who knows how to "speak hippy". Go figure.) On the plus side, the episode is a ton of fun for its cheesiness and has some funny songs.moreless

The reason the show got cancelled

By goatas4, Dec 30, 2010

This is one of those shows that dates when a show aired. Space Hippies??! Terrible lip synching!! I am watching all of the Star Trek episodes in a row with my girlfriend, and to be true, I had watch this piece of garbage. Hippie Spock? Please. There is so much emoting in this episode, it's like a Ham dinner. Plus, what was the whole point of this episodes. Hippies encroaching on Romulan space? C'mon, some writer was or there was someone he knew that was a hippie and wrote a social commentary on it. I'm surprised they didn't have those trippy psychedlic effects.moreless

This is the worst episode of Star Trek by a long shot. This episode is so bad that it makes Spock's Brain look like a masterpiece.

By kalestilez, Apr 14, 2007

The episode is poorly written and contains little substance. Like many of the third season episodes, it follows the trend of reaching out to a new audience. However, beaming aboard a group of drugged up hippies was hardly a worthy plot. This episode lacks the charm that we Star Trek fans adore so much. Additionally Spock's sympathy does not seem natural for the situation. It comes across as being forced, as if to appeal to a teenage audience that just got home from Woodstock. I really don't have much else to say for this despicable episode. It should be viewed with extreme caution, because it has been known to suck the appreciation right out of Star Trek fans.moreless

Load More Reviews