Broken Ties

Episode Reviews (13)

Great

And they all lived happily ever after...

By heiowge, Nov 15, 2011

What a load of b*llocks! Do you honestly believe the ending should have been this neat? Firstly, Teyla should have retired off active duty. She's a mother now. First priority is the kids or she's a bad parent! What does she contribute nowadays? A bit of kung-fu? Everyone knows all about the planets locally now, and her people are rarely in it, so she has no real use. Oh and she's part Wraith. Great. That's it!

And the Ronon storyline. Does anyone else believe that both his and Tyre's recovery and reversal of allegance were a little too easy.

I think that Ronon should have escaped Atlantis as a new villain at the end.

That would have been more interresting.

As it was, it was like one of those episodes that starts and ends pretty much at the same point. This episode had potential and it wasted it.

Boring.moreless

See Summary

By TrueTvWatcher, Oct 07, 2010

The episode, Broken Ties, of Stargate Atlantis was very character building for Ronin. This episode primarily focused on him. He did a lot of growing as a person in this episode which was nice to see. Another character, Mr. Woolsey, also showed a different, yet predictable other side to himself as well. He is becoming more relaxed in his role, though not enough, and is finding his way as well. The Wraith get a hold of Ronin and try to turn him into a Wraith Worshiper. The Wraith believed they have succeeded and turn Ronin upon his team from Atlantis, only to be destroyed by them. This was a great, entertaining, engaging episode!!!moreless

This is the episode where Ronon is captured by the Wraith, and they try to turn him into a Wraithworshipper. Also Teyla must make a decision about rejoining the Atlantis team.

By solome, Aug 15, 2008

Woosly was great in this episode. I didn't expect him to have funny parts, but he did it very well. They were some of the best moments of this episode. I hope they keep giving him funny moments. I enjoyed the moments when Teyla was talking to Sheppard. They were really nice. I liked how Sheppard didn't inform her of the mission, to try to get her to make a decision faster. Sheppard was really great in these conversations.

I can't wait to figure out more about how the baby fits into all this - so far it's been really great - I hope they keep him on Atlantis. And I want to know what there doing with Kannan. I actually want to see him turn back to a badguy again and work for Micheal. That would leave the door back open for a Sheppard/Teyla ship. I picture Kannan like the Pete for Sam on Stargate. There for awhile, but not her true love.

Back to the episode at hand, I was a bit confused towards the end of the episode. Even with the wraith enzyme in Ronon, I don't think he would have given in - that didn't seem right to me. But overall a really great episode. Much better than last season and I'm loving the baby parts (espescially if Sheppard was in them!)moreless

Somehow weird episode...

By Parricida, Aug 01, 2008

After quite good previous episode maybe I had my hopes too up but this was.. disappointing. The main storyline was again nothing too special and somehow this time it looked illogical. I understand there were some great camera works trying to show how both Ronon and his friend suffered in different places in different progresses but it looked too simple - specially turning Ronon back for their side.

Teyla doubts and her decision - it was the best part of the episode. I think it really made her char more believable and the whole atmosphere and the way she was talking with Woosley.. it was the part what made this episode worth.. what had some depth.moreless

ok, I guess...

By Fwirrel, Jul 30, 2008

It seems like SGA has had a pretty bad start this season. In this episode, Ronon was captured by his old buddy. Tyre basically gave him to the wraith so that the wraith could turn Ronon into a slave. In the end, of course, Sheppard and the team save Ronon and he gets back to normal. I didn't really like the story in this episode, but I did like the character development of Ronon. I loved Woosley's several funny moments. He's growing to be a great character. I hated the whole part with Teyla trying to figure out if she was going to be on the team or not. I was hoping she wouldn't because then I wouldn't have to ese her again....Overall, bad story but great character developments.moreless

Another Ronon episode just misses the mark

By entil2001, Jul 28, 2008

If it's a character-based episode early in a season of "Stargate Atlantis", then it's a good guess that it's a Ronon-centric episode. Looking back on the past few seasons, this is practically a matter of inevitability. I recall a similar thing happening to the character of B'Elanna on "Star Trek: Voyager". The writers would incrementally advance her personal character arc in an early episode of every season, and once that was out of the way, she basically fulfilled her function within the ensemble without much variation.

Ronon fills a very comfortable niche on Team Atlantis, playing the requisite tough with consummate warrior skill and a gruff good nature. He's essentially the Teal'c of the series, and as such, episodes devoted to Ronon inevitably pertain to others of his kind. The Satedans have never been my favorites (and that includes the infamous episode "Sateda" itself), so I was wary, to say the least.

Fortunately, the writers took a slightly different approach with the Ronon-centric episode this season. Normally, when a main character is subjected to the kind of experience seen in this episode, the character manages to resist against all odds, demonstrating his endlessly heroic nature. So it was a bit rewarding to see Ronon, perhaps the strongest member of the team, succumb to the Wraith brainwashing.

The brainwashing itself helped to explain why some humans would choose to align with the Wraith in the first place. It may have been alluded to in the past, but I certainly don't remember anything about the addictive qualities of Wraith life restoration. I don't think it applies to every Wraith worshipper, since simple self-interest is enough of an explanation and this seemed to be more of an experimental approach, but it does flesh out a grey area.

Otherwise, I found the story to be rather predictable. I was basically waiting for Tyre to rescue the team after his supposed betrayal, and Tyre's sacrifice was completely telegraphed. Considering how much of the episode's power hinged on Tyre's redemptive arc, it was a bit disappointing for the story to be so "cookie cutter". If Ronon's part of the story could take a daring turn, why should Tyre's part of the story fall into predictability?

Speaking of which, this episode was also devoted to exploration of Teyla's position on Team Atlantis. I've been concerned since the moment the pregnancy was written into the series, and especially since the baby was saved. Pregnancy seems to be the easy road for drama when it comes to female characters in the genre, but "baby plots" slip into annoying cliché all too often for my taste. For better or worse, Teyla is not one of the headliner characters, so the impact is lessened.

Even so, if Teyla's character development this season is largely devoted to the struggles of motherhood, I'll be disappointed. I would like to think that the character deserves better than the never-inventive "working mother" plot thread, mixed with the "aren't babies cute?" scenes. We had one such scene with Woolsey in this episode, and I think it was quite enough. Unfortunately, the writers seem to have no intentions of sidelining the baby, so it remains to be seen how it will be handled. (I'm waiting, of course, for the inevitable kidnapping episode.)moreless

Worst episode ever.

By Inmul, Jul 28, 2008

I'm not going to spoil it, but I really hope the future episodes are better than this. It made little sense, all about drug withdrawal and family priorities.

The camera and effects team seems to have lost focus, making poor visual effects and boring scenes.

Since I need to write what I think about the episode in 100 word, I'm just going to summarize with: Worst Atlantis episode ever!

Come on people, you are the ones that invented the midway-staion. Otherwise from this episode, Atlantis has been a spectacular journey. One that I will remember forever. Keep up your regular good work guys and girls.moreless

mmm wow very good to watch!

By uk_stevie, Jul 27, 2008

i think this 1 was well written i liked the way it flowed and was acted from start to end not a boring minuted. it was good to see another tool that the wraith have i dont think that will be the last of that story with the wraith drug in the brain. i also im glad that they has finished off a story which was a problem in past seasons. i wondered when solen was going to come back in to it. i like the way they sent him out with a bang. a really big one lol. woolsey... so far i think he is doing ok i liked the way they are bringing him in like he is lost i think he will do a good job be cause he is a very good actor.moreless

Another completely generic SciFi plot: a tertiary character who we thought was a bad guy semi-dramatically redeems himself and is cleared off of the stage. At least in Stargate SG-1 characters would gripe and moan when they were caught in a plot cliche.

By babasyzygy, Jul 27, 2008

Stargate: Atlantis has always lived in an uneasy place between interesting takes on well-executed standard Sci-Fi plots, and completely generic takes on standard Sci-Fi plots (including the tendency to leave the world of our heroes essentially unchanged, at best leaving a seed for a later better episode to draw on). One gets the feeling that the way that things work in the writer's room is that the powerhouses say, "OK, we need to have A, B, and C set up in episodes before our stuff airs for sweeps or finales."

So far this season is the latter - nothing changes except a plot element that can be summarized in a sentence ("Ronon is hooked on Wraith enzymes and turns on the team, but he's okay now... for the moment"): I'm hoping that they're saving their A-list episodes - they tend to be written by veterans of Stargate: SG-1, who are at least add some ironic recognition to the times they use boilerplate SF plotting (eg, when Jack snarks, "didn't I see this on Star Trek?").

So it goes. I have to wonder how many of the people who keep rating this stuff highly have seen much of past SF series (including a few times in SG-1), since this kind of plot has been seen so many times before it ought to be issued a standard serial number, just like the joke about prison inmates memorizing the joke book ("Some people just can't tell a joke").moreless

Amazing episode.

By MiguelFerreira, Jul 27, 2008

This is a really great episode. No story development but a great Ronon episode. First time i decide to write a review. As i started watching the episode i was wondering about the future of this show. Never got out SG-1's shadow. And they have to lead the francise into a third SG-1 movie and the Universe spinoff. I'm thrilled to finally see a major script. SG-1's episode of brainwashed Teal'c wasn't even close. The drama is intense. Good fights. The understand look Sheppard gave Tyre when he said "i'll be right behind you". Great script, great acting. Amazing Episode.

Keep it up and maybe we'll get to 10 seasons as well.moreless