Ghost in the Machine

Episode Reviews (21)

Great

one of the worst...

By Fwirrel, Oct 13, 2011

Wow...I hated this episode. I almost turned it off several times when I was watching it - but I had nothing better to do so I watched it all. Anyways, Dr. Weir shows up in a form that isn't really a form and she gets in the systems and creates a body...some stupid replicator mumbo jumbo and then she basically kills herself and her people. Ya, that was the story. I hate the replicator story line and I hate Dr. Weir story lines. I hope they never bring her back - ever. I actually loved Woolsey in this episode...I like him a lot better than Weir. Anyways, this episode was horrendous with a terrible story and the return of annoying characters and enemies.moreless

See Summary

By TrueTvWatcher, Oct 07, 2010

Ghost in the Machine saw a brief return of the Replicator Weir, if only in Voice. The episode was good over all but it was not as packed with action as is usual to the series. There was a little bit of emotional fall out in dealing with the last remnent of Elizabeth Weir. The episode was a little slower paced than most. It was cool to see how the characters choose to deal with the situations presented to them. The replicators seem to keep popping up, but this is perhaps the end of their story line in the Atlantis saga.moreless

Simply terrible. Probably the single worst episode in the entire show. Bad writing to start with topped off by replacing Weir with a different actress.

By Twistii, Aug 27, 2010

While I enjoyed seeing F.R.A.N. again, this episode had such a retarded plot that I just couldn't enjoy it. Man, when we originally saw Weir in the ancient battle ship appear in the rubble after the fight with the replicators, we were all so excited. What were those grand plans she had ? What were they going to do ?

Well, it turns out their master plan was to die. How exciting. And of course they lost the ship, too. No money for special effects this week I guess. I'd have preferred if they just never revisited that plot thread at all over this total mutilation of common sense.

Not offering Weir enough to be on this last time was just the nail in the already buried coffin. When "her" voice appears for the first time, I couldn't believe that it was a different one, and was rather disappointed. Man, was I in for another sucker punch when the door opened and "not Weir" stepped out.

For the record: Fran didn't act like Weir, didn't behave like Weir, didn't talk like Weir, didn't even walk like Weir. Couldn't they have made her at least watch some tapes of Weir so she could be at least remotely convincing ? Apparently not, since the writing for her ALSO wasn't like Weir. Even if they had casted Weir for the episode, the writing would have still made her seem like a different person.

As a bonus, no Dr. Keller and almost no Ronan.

This episode bad was in almost every single aspect. F-, SGA.

Edit: Would have given it a lower score if it would let me, but it's bugged somehow and didn't accept anything less.moreless

Little weird episode

By Parricida, Oct 20, 2008

So.. how could you kill (end) storyline when the most important thing of the storyline is gone - this case the original actress of Weir. So, they just try another way to deal with it and it all goes too weird, in my point. Some parts of the episode has little slow motion and then other really exciting and fast moving so the overall feeling is somehow jumping and to be honest - I have never liked the replicator storylines as somehow they always are coming back when we think we get read of them.

The best part of this episode, I think, was the end where they sent them to space gate and the way Rodney stand there in the end and said what he said...moreless

SGA continues its downhill side of quality

By ryanrryan, Sep 10, 2008

what is happening this season?? the first episode was ok but how many filler episodes are there going to be. This episode, compared with many of the episodes from season 4 is well below the standed set by the series.

the show is losing it! its gorn from my number on show, to five. leyts hope it returns to its former glory before the end of the series. This episode laked a good plot and was domed from the start. it had nothing to do with the central plot of the series. The episode was defently one of the worst SGA eps lets hope it gets better..moreless

Weir is back - in replicator form but I'm not reviewing the episode here.

By Hutchinator2005, Aug 19, 2008

Just briefly; this episode is a conclusion to a cliffhanger from last years 'Be All my Sins remembered'. The visuals were great and so was the story, a bit heavy on the expositional stuff but entetaining netherless. The ending is touching and somewhat of a surprise. Woolsey continues to impress (me) as leader of Atlantis.

However, is it just me or has Joel Goldsmith gone up three levels with the music. Instead of a synthesised music vibe it now has a more orchestral feel to it. Whatever he's done the last year, it certainly has taken the show to a new and much needed level. Bravo Joel.moreless

sad Weir, tough Woolsey and somewhat morally gray Sheppard

By June_Chuang, Aug 19, 2008

I like this episode. I like how it told about ReplicatorWeir's confidence turning to fear(to herself), then she did what Weir would do -- sacrificed for Atlantis and old buddies without hesitant. Plus, Michelle Morgan really do a great job, I can see Weir through FRAM's everything. Excellent!

And I also like how Woolsey threat Replicators. He still is THE BUREAUCRAT who put safe of Earth on first. But he also dared to take some risky now. I'm glad that Woolsey got his own play stage but not just a joke for others. (After all, EMH is one of my favorite Startrek:VOY's character.)

Sheppard seems more morally gray than usual, but I can accept that. I wonder if fearsome to Replicators make Sheppard not even try to stop Weir's suicide (at least not on screen), but it's just my little wonder.

oh, and Rodney really annoyed me this episode. 4 tech bubbles in one episode, was that really necessary? Or perhaps because I just want to hear more Dr.Zelenka's Czech grumbles (XD)

Nice to see Chuck again.moreless

Damage control forces too much exposition

By entil2001, Aug 19, 2008

The fate of Elizabeth Weir has been a matter of contention for the fans of "Stargate Atlantis". Many consider Torri Higginson's exit from the series to be a massive loss (not to mention poorly handled), and this episode feels like it was twisted and tortured to provide closure. From the published interviews and reports, that's exactly what Higginson had wanted, but the producers were somewhat evasive regarding the future of the Weir sub-subplot. It's charitable to say that the comments from producer Joe Mallozzi have been, typically, a bit hostile and contradictory.

What might have been a resurrection of Weir's plot thread was ultimately turned into "damage control". Was this the original direction intended for Weir's subplot? The writers of the "Stargate" franchise often toss out cliffhangers with little or no plan for how to resolve them, so I doubt there was much mapped out for Weir's future.

The result is an episode that feels a bit cobbled together. Covering for Higginson's absence requires a mountain of exposition in the first half of the episode, including a segment where a computerized version of Weir dispenses a monotone lecture to bring the audience up to speed. It's one of the most obvious violations of "show, don't tell" storytelling in recent memory, and it definitely makes this episode feel like a bald attempt to repair self-inflicted wounds.

Bringing back Fran as Weir's avatar was a clever notion. The actress is easy on the eyes, which softens the overall blow, and she manages to pull off a fair impression of Higginson's line delivery. It sells the idea that Weir is stuck in a manufactured body, which is at least possible within established continuity. In fact, the writers do a capable job of pulling together a reasonable enough story, given the challenges involved in making sense of Weir's return.

That said, it was clear from the tone of the episode that Weir was going to be written out or given the slimmest possibility of a return. It was equally obvious that she would sacrifice herself for the sake of Team Atlantis. The process of getting to the sacrificial act was the only real source of tension in the episode, beyond the odd (and convenient) shifts in ability to control the city. The conflict was well constructed under the circumstances.

I didn't hate this episode by any means, but like much of the fifth season, I find myself less than enthusiastic. The only real surprise so far has been the excellent character development for Richard Woolsey, who has been a far better commander than I might have dreamed. The writers are staying very true to his origins, yet he's showing a remarkable resilience. Hopefully the rest of the season will devote similar attention to the rest of the cast.moreless

My first post! a great installment to the SGA storyline!

By TVPYRO, Aug 18, 2008

My First and hopefully not my last post.

I find that this episode answers the question of that part of last season where we see weir say, "we begin our work".

i got to hand it to the actress that plays fran. she portrayed Weirs mannerisms quite well. even some of her distinctive tones. since replicators dont die in space. this episode can and may serve as a seed in another episode in the future.

Weir is NOT dead. maybe dead because the actress refused to play weir again. but fran can play her now. and being in a form that is hard to kill... well... we shall see.

i wonder what floating in deep space for a long time can do to the human mind...

I hope the Stargate Series continue to grow. it has provided me insights and inspiration even as a simple human being on Earth. Thanks!moreless

Load More Reviews