The Storm (1)

Episode Reviews (10)

Superb

How were the Geniis able to read the Ancient writings.

Fire the damn screenwriter, who wrote this episode.

I pretty much agree with “hack103”

By Aruna_lk, Feb 08, 2011

This episode is the worst in the series. How were the Geniis able to read the Ancient writings in the Atlantis city? And how come the Athosians are operating inside from the Atlantis city? Atlantis is the first line of defense against the Wraith, yet they give IDC’s to all Athosians who live in the main land. Who knows what kind of information that they divulge about the Atlantis city? about Earth? It’s hard to buy the story of 2 Races (1 primitive & 1 advanced) using the same StarGate, specially of the lost city of the Ancient, and giving the Ancient StarGate address to who knows who....

in the episode 11 (20 mins) I heard that one of the Geniis saying he might be able to crack the code protecting the StarGate force shield.

and I always wanted to ask this, why Earth is not using the Kull Warrior’s armour.moreless

See Summary

By TrueTvWatcher, Sep 23, 2010

This was a pretty good episode for mid season, it kept me on the edge of my seat. I like how the Genii have influence on other worlds and that allows them to gather valuable intel. I wonder if they will be intelligent enough to see that keeping the Atlantians as allies will be way more beneficial in the long term for them. It was interesting to see the characters reactions to dramatic situations and the end leaving us hanging wanting to know what happens next. Always enjoy these multi sub storyline episodes that climax together into a great two part story.moreless

A massive storm in the form of two hurricanes threatens all of Atlantis so the inhabitants make a deal with another planet to house their people. McKay and Zelenka come up with a plan to save Atlantis from the coming storm.

By jyarter, Aug 10, 2009

This episode could have been a blockbuster if even partially done in a realistic way. There were so many holes in the story that it really is almost laughable. I give it a seven as at least the acting was good and the special effects even better. The writing left you wondering if maybe they weren't the ones drinking a little too much instead of the Athosian that gave away the access code!

What a wonderful setup. Because of the larger amount of surface water and natural warming, every twenty years a super storm erupts and causes major damage to the mainland and would to Atlantis as well if it wasn't shield protected. Of course in the past they could either be shielded or underwater, but without the power the city is in trouble.

McKay being his usual idiotic brilliant self comes up with a plan with Zelenka to use the energy of the storm to run the generators powering the shields. Nice idea. He's still more annoying than worthwhile.

Now onto the security breeches. The whole mission of the show is based on the safety of the Stargate. Let's leave two guards who are half asleep in the control room by themselves when everyone else is off the planet! Brilliant. Maybe if the Genii had to fight their way through a security contingent or cleverly got onto the city it would have been OK. The episode lost all credibility when this part occurred. It basically made the rest of the episode irrelevant.

Based on the special effects, the fine acting of the regular cast, and Robert Davi as Commander Koyla and Erin Chambers as Sora I give this a seven. Oh, and to compound the problem it was a two parter! Thanks for reading...moreless

Visually impressive...

By Parricida, Jan 23, 2008

I just cannot stop saying - I adore the city. It looks incredible. All those sceneries - the storm above and the rain and lightning, Atlantis on full scale scenes - incredible.

Now, to the story - it was nerve wracking and really made me sometimes go mad - it had the motion and tempo but... I did not liked the Genii storyline. Did not liked it last time, did not liked it this time. It looked so stupid, the way they took over Atlantis. Do they think people with military training would go so easily and they did not even liked the way Athosians should look like.

So, the storyline was not best, as it looked little silly but the visual look and one man against all bad ones... I cannot wait the eye of the storm...moreless

Great episode!

By Fwirrel, May 03, 2007

A storm threatens Atlantis and they fear there is no way to sheild the city from the power of the storm so the mainland and city are evacuated. However, McKay, Shepard, Weir stay behind to try to implicate a plan devised by the brilliant McKay. They go off and do some scientific stuff while the genii come threw the gate and take over the main room and capture Weir and McKay. The genii, led by Koyla, demand c-4, medicine, and weapons and John is the only one who can stop them. Overall great episode with an interesting cat/mouse thing between Shepard and Koyla.moreless

Part 1 of the 2 parter with the genii coming to "claim what is theres". Great laughts and moments of tension

By Gabumon_7, Jan 21, 2007

The episode stats out with an impending storm hitting Atlantis. The only problem, this storm hit once every 20 years and the ancients before would just plung the city back into the ocean to protect it, but with only 1 ZPM and not enough power to do that, Rodney comes up with an idea of using the lightening from the storm to provide the nessecarly power to raise the shields. The only problem with this plan, the city has to be evacuated for it will cause energy serges throughout the city halls and the genii find out about the plan to evacuate the city and figure it is as good a chance to take what they want from the city as any.

The genii invade the city, outright kill the 2 guards in the gate room, capture Rodney and Elizabeth, and try to find Sheppard. Only Sheppard is finding the genii first and eliminating then as he tries to help Rodney and Elizabeth. Kolya stabs Rodney in the arm, and he cracks under the pain and tells Kolya about their plan to save Atlantis, so Kolya forces Rodney to fix the 3rd grounding station so his plan will work, but Sheppard has disabled the generater to that station. Kolya threatens to kill Dr. Weir and Sheppard runs back to repair the generator, all the while threatening to kill Kolya if he hurts them.

The episode is really a defining moment to show what the people would produce the show can do with a script and special effects. From the background display of the ocean at the grounding stations to the hurricane are amazing for the time.moreless

As an approaching hurricane puts Atlantis in danger, the Genii return to cause more trouble

By GameraTrekkie, Nov 15, 2006

After the somewhat borrowed episode "Home", Atlanis returns to its glory with this edge of your seat episode that is in one word awesome! What makes this episode work so well is Kolya, the Genii leader who is such a nasty villain that it makes him fun to watch and hate. The acting is so good in this episode, the Genii become more of an annoyance than a threat. As I'm sure the crew in the story feel. After watching this episode, you will want to know how it ends. This is definitely one of the best episodes of the first season.moreless

This episode was a very good way to do the double season. All in all one of the better episodes of the season.

By Ross_99, Sep 17, 2005

The Atlantis team learns of a massive storm that will soon go through Atlantis so they decided to evaquate the city and the friends that they thought they were told the Genii who then decided to raid the city. With the approaching storm they are left with a choice of what to do.

A storm is on its way and it's threatening to destroy Atlantis.

By Triceradon, Jul 10, 2005

The idea was okay. Was it original? Eeeeeh, people would probably say it wasn't, but I say that this episode was a bit average, but the cliff-hanger ending was awesome. I liked that.

And McKay and Dr. Zelenka -- their interaction is quite the funniest thing. And all the lines that they had to learn and how quickly they said them -- plus getting the timing of interrupting each other down... Compared to me when I try to say things quickly, those two did an excellent job.

If you've read any of my previous reviews, you've noticed that I've not been too much of a Lt. Ford fan basically because I hardly see what makes him so special. Other characters stand out -- he rarely does. It doesn't change in this episode.

So, I say the episode is average but I give it a 9.5 -- it had aspects of greatness.moreless

By hack103, Jun 26, 2005

Overall, I like SG Atlantis, but this particular episode reeked of utter stupidity. From the premise that the military personel would allow the initial attack to the ending where Weir is thinking that returning the girl would **ease** tensions, it was implausible, complete stupidity.

When the writers are this bad, I have to wonder what they think the audience is like.

Fire the damn screenwriters!