Evolution (1)

Episode Reviews (5)

Superb

a new enemey...

By Fwirrel, Sep 22, 2010

Finally, a challenging new enemey comes to the front. Anubis created a super soilder that is pretty much invincible because of its armor. However, the super soilder looks really weird. I have no clue who thought of its wardrobe, but it's just a little weird. Completely black spandex with boob armor and pelvic armor...just weird. Anwyays, Daniel and Dr. Lee go to South America to find an ancient device and get captured by locals. Jack and the team attempt to catpure a super soldier and eventually are able to do so...Ya, pretty good episode. It brings a new, powerful enemey for the SGC to beat. It had a lot of good action and had a good story line. Overall, great episode and a good start to a two-part episode.moreless

Part 1 of 2 of not only the episode, but the review as well.

By Megaru-Ryuuji, Sep 22, 2010

Evolution 1 and 2 together make up one of the four very successful two-parters of Season 7. This of course is the episode where Anubis introduces the Tau’ri to his new super soldier which is to soon take the place of the Jaffa. While Carter, O’Neill and Teal’c are all trying to figure out what the super soldier is and what it’s supposed to do, Daniel heads off to South America to find an artifact that might help them find a way to fight the super soldier.

This episode luckily consists of one of the ever so amusing appearances by Bill Dow as the character Doctor Lee, who many until part two doubt that he has a first name. I’ll get back to Bill Dow later though. Let me first give a bit salute to Dan Payne who played the super soldier. The poor man sustained being put into that costume for the entire two-parter and several other episodes. He deserves applause from everyone who’s ever watched any episodes he plays the super soldier in. We of course in this episode also got to see Tony Amendola who plays the character Bra’tac and Carmen Argenziano who plays Jacob Carter/Selmak, both of whom are excellent actors.

Let’s move back on to the plot a bit. This was an excellent plot written by Damien Kindler, who has written many other excellent episodes before. Peter DeLuise, who is one of the natural talents working on STARGATE SG-1, directed it. I was specifically impressed with some of the sets for Daniel’s little adventure into South America. I also found the whole CSI thing very fun (I’m talking about when they’re examining to dead super soldier).

We had some other excellent guest stars for this two-parter that includes Frank Roman who plays Rafael for Part 1 and 2 (mostly in part 2) who takes Daniel and Doctor Lee captive. We also got a good few scenes with David Palffy who plays Anubis. Though Part 1 wasn’t as good as Part 2, I still give it a 7.8.moreless

Full of adventure...

By Parricida, Sep 22, 2010

I really liked this episode - specially the Daniel part in the middle of jungle. That kind of go around and try to find a treasure was quite good and the excitement - that mysteries - how to find temple and then what to do on the dead end. Really great.

Also all the super soldier concept was great - a new enemy who really is so so powerful and nothing seems to stop him. All the trouble team had to go trough to trying catch him...

It was really great episode. Those two parters usually have - they have great story.moreless

A super soldier: appearance close to Darth Vader and a strength surpassing any Goa’uld. Though a little tacky, it is a new challenge.

By cvvrede, Aug 31, 2005

I missed Jack O’Neill at the start of the episode, but that was almost immediately forgotten when ‘Dad’ came. I love Argentinio and think it’s a shame he’s not more often on the show.

Daniel’s quest into the Honduras jungle started of a bit dull, but that quickly changed. First the swimming pool he created and than getting caught by the rebels. Again his fascination with archeology gets him in big trouble. Daniel stayed remarkably cool under pressure.

The military going after a super soldier that is in every way stronger than them was very cool. The force shield was cool, the firefight was cool and the grenade was cool too. When the C-4 didn’t kill it, I was starting to think that nothing could. It was new that Jack was even considering surrendering to the Goa’uld; he never did that before. But I guess it does show he cares about the people under his command. I loved his speech; it was very… convincing.

The creature under the mask was very scary, even though it doesn’t seem to be able to much more than following orders. The revelation on the end of the episode wasn’t a great cliff-hanger, but the episode was a good ‘to be continued’ story.moreless