Evolution (1)

Episode Reviews (5)

Superb

a new enemey...

By Fwirrel, Sep 22, 2010

Finally, a challenging new enemey comes to the front. Anubis created a super soilder that is pretty much invincible because of its armor. However, the super soilder looks really weird. I have no clue who thought of its wardrobe, but it's just a little weird. Completely black spandex with boob armor and pelvic armor...just weird. Anwyays, Daniel and Dr. Lee go to South America to find an ancient device and get captured by locals. Jack and the team attempt to catpure a super soldier and eventually are able to do so...Ya, pretty good episode. It brings a new, powerful enemey for the SGC to beat. It had a lot of good action and had a good story line. Overall, great episode and a good start to a two-part episode.moreless

Part 1 of 2 of not only the episode, but the review as well.

By Megaru-Ryuuji, Sep 22, 2010

Evolution 1 and 2 together make up one of the four very successful two-parters of Season 7. This of course is the episode where Anubis introduces the Tau’ri to his new super soldier which is to soon take the place of the Jaffa. While Carter, O’Neill and Teal’c are all trying to figure out what the super soldier is and what it’s supposed to do, Daniel heads off to South America to find an artifact that might help them find a way to fight the super soldier.

This episode luckily consists of one of the ever so amusing appearances by Bill Dow as the character Doctor Lee, who many until part two doubt that he has a first name. I’ll get back to Bill Dow later though. Let me first give a bit salute to Dan Payne who played the super soldier. The poor man sustained being put into that costume for the entire two-parter and several other episodes. He deserves applause from everyone who’s ever watched any episodes he plays the super soldier in. We of course in this episode also got to see Tony Amendola who plays the character Bra’tac and Carmen Argenziano who plays Jacob Carter/Selmak, both of whom are excellent actors.

Let’s move back on to the plot a bit. This was an excellent plot written by Damien Kindler, who has written many other excellent episodes before. Peter DeLuise, who is one of the natural talents working on STARGATE SG-1, directed it. I was specifically impressed with some of the sets for Daniel’s little adventure into South America. I also found the whole CSI thing very fun (I’m talking about when they’re examining to dead super soldier).

We had some other excellent guest stars for this two-parter that includes Frank Roman who plays Rafael for Part 1 and 2 (mostly in part 2) who takes Daniel and Doctor Lee captive. We also got a good few scenes with David Palffy who plays Anubis. Though Part 1 wasn’t as good as Part 2, I still give it a 7.8.moreless

Part one of two and they are both as exciting aas the other. After Teal'c and bra'tac come across dead jaffa and seemingly effertlessly defeated. When they are approached by a soldier in a black armour type suit. They take him out with the Zats.

By okeydokeythen, Sep 22, 2010

Later they learn that they did not take it out with the zat. The armour that he was wearing abosorbs energy weapons which means that Zats and Staff weapons are useless against them. So Daniel and Dr. Lee go off the south america to look for Telchack's temple to find a devise that selmak believes will help them develope a weapon to beat these soldiers.

Mean while Sam is trying to find a way to penettrate the armour. So she and selmak devise a plan to attempt to capture one of the soldiers.

Bra'tac plans to capture one with a tranquilizer dart. But the dart does not phase him a bit. And he breaks through the shield. but he pays no attention to them he heads straight to find Ramius and to kill him. they end up getting captured by Ramius's Jaffa.

While Jack tries to explain that they are there to keep the soldier from killing Ramius and all of them also. At first the guard resists then he realizes that Jack was not lieing. And He turns them lose. Well Jack invites him to come with them since he did let them go and his whole group is getting slaughtered.

Sam comes up with the idea the ring the soldier on the ship into a cargo bay. the end up having to depleat the oxygen to knock him out. It was the only way he would not destroy the ship trying to get to them.

Once they get back they are unable to get him to talk so The use a Tokra' mind scanner. it reveals that Anubis created him on a planet called Tartarus. So now they need to take care of this.

Daniel and Doctor Lee manage to get a guide to show them where they need to go. Once they find what they are looking for There are some guerrilas and they believe that Jackson and Lee are up to something and they want to know what. So they kidnap them.moreless

A super soldier: appearance close to Darth Vader and a strength surpassing any Goa’uld. Though a little tacky, it is a new challenge.

By cvvrede, Aug 31, 2005

I missed Jack O’Neill at the start of the episode, but that was almost immediately forgotten when ‘Dad’ came. I love Argentinio and think it’s a shame he’s not more often on the show.

Daniel’s quest into the Honduras jungle started of a bit dull, but that quickly changed. First the swimming pool he created and than getting caught by the rebels. Again his fascination with archeology gets him in big trouble. Daniel stayed remarkably cool under pressure.

The military going after a super soldier that is in every way stronger than them was very cool. The force shield was cool, the firefight was cool and the grenade was cool too. When the C-4 didn’t kill it, I was starting to think that nothing could. It was new that Jack was even considering surrendering to the Goa’uld; he never did that before. But I guess it does show he cares about the people under his command. I loved his speech; it was very… convincing.

The creature under the mask was very scary, even though it doesn’t seem to be able to much more than following orders. The revelation on the end of the episode wasn’t a great cliff-hanger, but the episode was a good ‘to be continued’ story.moreless