The Changeling

Episode Reviews (8)

Great

Based on an ancient Chinese fable

By BevinChu, Aug 11, 2012

The Changeling, written by Christopher Judge, who plays Teal'c, is based on a famous 4th century BCE Chinese fable known as Zhuang Zhou Meng Die, meaning "Zhuangzi dreamed he was a butterfly."

Once Zhuangzi dreamt he was a butterfly, a butterfly flitting and fluttering around, happy with himself and doing as he pleased. He didn't know he was Zhuangzi. Suddenly he woke up and there he was, solid and unmistakable Zhuangzi. But he didn't know if he was Zhuangzi who had dreamt he was a butterfly, or a butterfly dreaming he was Zhuangzi.

This ancient fable was also the basis for the classic SF film, The Matrix. The writers and directors of the film, the Wachowski Brothers, are students of Eastern mysticism, including Zen and Daoism.

Morpheus: Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world?

This episode was not up to expectations. But that is a separate matter.moreless

The very reason I watch this show: Fantastic storyline, brilliant filming!

By staurophobic, Aug 04, 2010

I guess I am pretty lousy at reviews, so anything I write here will simply not do this episode justice. It is a fantastic thing to watch, the art of filming fine tuned to perfection. The going between realities is seamless and effective, the storyline confusingly brilliant! It's great to see Teal'c so relaxed and seemingly happy in this episode, and also comedic to see the 'probies' in pink aprons. It has a great balance to it! It also allows Daniel Jackson fans to see the guy giving support for his friends again, so I doubt anyone can really fault this episode. Well filmed, well scripted...

The perfect episode.moreless

There should be more like this...

By bobsuncorp, Aug 04, 2010

Its hard to believe that this was not written by a professional writer, but rather by one of the actors. (that does however explain why it is one of the few episodes that does a good job of focussing on Teal'c and also gives Chris Judge a chance to play another character- something all actors want to do. I have to wonder which came first though, the writing of the episode, or the inclusion of Micheal Shanks? Either could be true as I know that Judge and Shanks are good friends, so he could easily have drafted his friend in for "his" episode. Although I am one of the (legion) of fans who wished Shanks had never left the show, it did make his rare appearances even more special, and the spine tingling theme tune they came up with to appear when he did is another example of the great atmospheric scores SG1 has often (but not always) demonstrated.

When Daniel first appeared, the implication was that he was just another dream character, and this was no doubt intentional. But the inclusion of that theme tune and his use of the name "Teal'c" as you realise that Daniel really is there, watching over his friend, still gets me even after numerous viewings. A truly remarkable and well written episode, not let down by the directing, which uses simple set changes and one shot walkthroughs to make the dreams change seamlessly from one to another.

Amazing.moreless

Really unique storyline

By Parricida, Aug 04, 2010

This was lovely - it was so different, so unreal in some point, new and challenging. First the idea of having all the team members as fire departure members. And the accident and Apophis around - it looked like nightmare and as we in the end found out - it was one.

Also it was great to see Daniel again and more the episode developed, it became more and more sure that he is leading him and guiding and the end, when they are talking about promises - oh, it was so beautiful. And when Teal'c is on real world and it all becomes clear.. it was great episode.moreless

One of the best!

By cheysm1, Aug 04, 2010

This was one of the absolute best episodes of Stargate! I loved it from beginning to end! I loved how one second your with Teal'c at the SGC and the next your with "T" at the fire department or hospital! Its also lovely to see Michael Shanks aka Daniel again! Christopher Judge did some amazing writing for this episode! And you can tell the special relationship Tealc and Daniel have but also the relationship that Michael and Chris have! This was a awesome episode that any Stargate fan would absolutely enjoy! Lots of character developement as well for Teal'c and its always nice to hear Chris's real voice:) Amazing! Amazing! Amazing!moreless

Classic..in a word a real treat

By loveroneil, Aug 04, 2010

Ths one will remain one of my favourites for all time, a real plot that you can get your teeth into. Too many Teal'c episodes in previous series were boring and not a lot happening, this one really was the icing on the cake. It also contributed to the whole series and the concept of even in their abscence, SG1 are a team. Daniel Shanks steals the show again with his special appearance. I loved how we get to hear Chris' own voice and I also love the fact that he wrote it.

It was really dramatic in parts and thought provoking. Teal'c without Junior, that's scary. Check Chris' body at the beginning, now that's something to be proud of and not to be missed!!!!!!!moreless

Great episode! Even more impressive was the fact that it was written by Christopher Judge. Nice to see Michael Shanks again. I've missed Daniel Jackson!

By gingerrose224, Aug 23, 2007

I really enjoyed this episode! I found it even more impressive that the episode was written by Christopher Judge. What a change to see Teal'c as a "normal guy". It was funny to hear curse words coming from his mouth! I thought the scene changes and character involvement were superb. I also felt that Teal'c's internal struggle was well portrayed. It was great that they brought Michael Shanks back in to tie things together. It really made me miss Daniel Jackson even more than usual! I found it quite endearing that Teal'c "needed" Daniel Jackson to get through the ordeal.moreless