The Road Not Taken

Episode Reviews (23)

Great

I love alternate reality episodes, but this one just wasn't that good...

By Fwirrel, Sep 10, 2011

Carter gets trapped in an alternate reality where she saves their earth from the ori and becomes a hero. In their reality, the stargate is not a secret and the US is basically run completely by the government and the people have few rights. I didn't really like the story. I've always wanted to see what would happen if the SGC went public, but not this way. It's always interesting to see the alternate personalities, but they just didn't do as good as a job on this episode. I was really pretty disappointed with the episode because I love alternate reality episodes and this one just didn't deliver.moreless

morality

By kinderoi, May 07, 2011

yap, a classic episode and I loved the moral story line to

I hope this show will last forever! I hope this show will last forever! I hope this show will last forever! I hope this show will last forever! I hope this show will last forever! I hope this show will last forever! I hope this show will last forever! I hope this show will last forever! I hope this show will last forever! I hope this show will last forever! I hope this show will last forever! I hope this show will last forever! I hope this show will last forever!moreless

During an experiment gone awry, Carter flips into an alternative universe: Ours. The bulk of the episode was a morality tale on what is already occurring now.

By bostmaguy, May 07, 2011

The new laws passed by a scared congress, giving up our civil liberties, arresting people without access to a lawyer or the courts, using a terrorist attack (Anubis) to weaken and suspend our constitution, going it alone and abandoning those that need our help; all these things happened in Carter's new universe. If it sounds familiar it should, because it's already happened in the U.S. To me, the episode shows what can happen if we continue down this road: A government-run media, no free press, no elected officials, and so on. Just look at what slowly happened to Russia under Putin. To give up our civil liberties for the sake of security isn't done all at once. It's done piecemeal, slowly, and over time.

How many times have we heard from our leaders that they need to restrict our freedoms because the terrorist "threat is still out there." After Hammond made this very comment, it was refreshing to hear Carter snap back, "that's the problem--the threat will always be out there." I applaud the producers and writers of the show for taking our current state of affairs and showing us what might happen if we don't get off the road we've already started down.moreless

Ahead of its time episode!!!

By DERBEST, May 07, 2011

I like these kinds of episodes...the types that dare to ask the question "what if"...what if we were capable to reach a certain performance in technology that will enable us to easy our life?...certain technologies like teleportation or the use of devices in order to protect us from future threats...Thanks to the creativeness of the writers, I find this episodes adventurous and enjoyable...An experiment of Sam teleports here into another dimension where she successfully help the planet Earth to avoid being destroyed by the Ori...Another advantage of this episode was realizing how easy can some situations can be manipulated in the interest of certain powerful people...That's why i would consider this episode as "Ahead of its time", because it shows in a way the future of our world... our rights have already begun to be violated...we need to become more aware of this.moreless

Sam sends herself to a different reality while working on Merlins invention. But in her reality sam is still a Major and Landry is the president. Hammond is still working with the sgc. She was once married to Rodney McKay. now she needs to go home. How?

By okeydokeythen, May 07, 2011

this was a great episode. I think this was a first for Sam to go to a alternative reality. But it was really good, if you think about it, it was a good thing that she went cause she could figure out a way to get herself back home.

The oidea of her and rodney being married was really strange.

I thought it was really funny when she got back home to find out that sg1 had been talking to an empty room to keep her company. and Vala express her relief that she was back.

This whole episode was dealing with some old pproblems and new ones for the alternate reality and she of course fixed theirs too. She is a hero whereever she goes.

GREAT SHOW!moreless

I love it when they do this...

By super_clerk25, May 07, 2011

These types of episodes are the ones I like the most. When they have to interact with a different dimension it is a cool break from the planet to planet story telling we get most of the time.

This time we have Carter get popped into a world where the Ori are knocking on the door of an Earth that has been forced into near chaos and the faces we know are darker and without hope.

The way her travel to this world worked, I thought, was powerful. The Carter from that world is killed in the process. This makes it a little darker and sad.

The whole world that we are introduced to is darker and we see Carter try and survive in a place that considers her a hero. It was fun to see her shine in a story all her own.moreless

taking a stand against facist tendencies/a police state & reminding us to demand our civil rights back!

By kyravon, May 07, 2011

This episode is fantastic not only on it's own for the story but because of it's reflection on today's political climate.

Just yesterday the news talked about a protester being tasered in FL I think and then I watch this episode where a protestor is 'tasered' with a Jaffa weapon and dragged off -- while they hurry the president away so he won't see anyone who disagrees with him.

We see a country where people are ruled by fear and intimidation, civil rights are suspended and as Sam says they "subvert democracy".

Sam's speech is great: "The people of this country need to understand that they are in control of their government, not the other way around. (turns to face the viewers).

It's your responsibility as citizens of this country to demand the freedoms that have been taken away from you. Demand accountability for why they were withheld in the first ... (she gets cut off).

Well done! This is why I watch the show! Not only do I get a parallel universe story that's interesting - but I get parallels to my real world pointed out too.moreless

Sam in alternate universe

By Parricida, Jun 18, 2008

Trough those 10 years we have get quite a lot those alternate universe episodes and I think they are not bad and the reason why I classificate this as already done is not because there have been some episode with the same idea - someone is put into other universe.. but somehow how this storyline has nothing original to offer. It reminded very very much the episode when Daniel was shown how we would act if he would be in power. And ofcourse.. there were similarities with the episode from the first season "All but grace of God"

But if I am not thinking on the originality, then I most say, they had their message. The way they showed and reminded how wrong things could have gone (maybe tried to make us again understand why there is no reason they could make the project public) and the threat.

It had some good motion, it was nice to see Lorne and Hammond.. and it was quite.. enjoyable.moreless

Sam goes to a different universe and ends up helping them stop the Ori.

By solome, Mar 10, 2008

I thought this episode was really good for the more recent episodes. It's about Sam when she visits a different universe, by accident, and tries to help them fight the Ori. I was captivated throughout the whole thing. I had fun watching it, waiting to see how everyone was different. While it was interesting, it also carried the plot of the entire season along - Sam being able to cloak an entire planet for instance. The series has been getting better every episode since it's come back on. I hope it will continue to have better episodes like this one.moreless

Load More Reviews