The Option Period

Episode Reviews (14)

Superb

Another good episode.

By brunabear, Jan 17, 2007

The Option Period was another good episode of Studio 60. We all know that something's up with the writers, but we don't know what... and then we find out that there's an option period for one of the characters from one of the sketches, and Ricky and ...the other guy are working on that instead of working on the scripts for the show they're ~currently~ employed on.

One of the things that made this episode so good was the fact that there's always been animosity between Matt/Danny and Ricky/Ron, so we all expect there to be a little vindictiveness, and for Matt to say, 'No, don't let them take it.' But the twist at the end is that he doesn't say that; he allows them to go with the character that he knows will fail as a sitcom, which means that while it looks like he's being nice, in fact, he's not. He's letting Ricky and Ron learn things the hard way, and I'm sure that we'll see them again later on in the season, when they come crawling back after their sitcom fails.moreless

Good show considering underwear and under-writers were the main themes.

By piwiz, Dec 03, 2006

I guess that Matthew Perry is somewhat believable as a comedy writer. I mean he did co-star in a comedy. But what is the least bit funny about Ricky and Ron? One a snarling bald guy, the other a Lurch-type grinning goon. I was a little confused why Matt was conflicted on getting rid of the two guys that he hated the most. Oh well, then there's Harriet, the ditzy-blonde Christian stereotype, conflicted on whether or not to pose in a lingerie shoot while she is stalked and harranged by two of her co-stars. It's a good thing that I am one of those who find "West Wing" style drama very entertaining.moreless

This review is brought to you by TV.Com. TV.Com, for all of your Television needs.

By Burgh_Man_98, Nov 29, 2006

This show is exactly why I watch this series. The dialogue is top-notch, nothing better on TV right now. The dynamic between the cast members is outstanding. You actually believe that these people have known each other and worked with each other for years, not just 6 months. And the writing, especially in this episode, was fantastic. I truly enjoyed the constant bickering about product placement, while at the same time, the show was seemingly purposely putting in obvious product placement (the Mac computers, the Heinekin Beer) and I really enjoyed the not-so-subtle slams on SNL's "Tonight's musical guest brought to you by..." sponsorship. But it was the two side stories that really made me appreicate the show last night. I have been very cautious over where things were headed with the Harry. As a believer myself, I have been wary of the show becoming a platform to bash Christianity as intolerant and oppressive. And it certainly seemed to be headed that way over the last few weeks. And then when it was revealed that Harry was planning to pose for a skin mag, I feared that it was going to make Christians out to be hypocritical. But the exchange between Matt and Harry really impressed me. They were able to get to the heart of the matter in a way that allow Harry to maintain her belief system, while at the same time allow her to feel that being a Christian is important to some folks. I applaud the producers and writiers for doing this in today's TV culture.

The second side story - Ricky and Ron leaving - was almost poignant. It explains why the show has made an effor to introduce Lucy and Darius in the last few weeks. But the most important scene in the storyline was when Ron explained why he remains loyal to Ricky, and when Matt made a last ditch effort to help them by suggesting the sidekick character. Yes, Matt is egotistical and a control-freak, but he also does care about the product and about the people behind the scenes. His efforts, while starting out selfish and self-centered, truly turned to concern for the well-being of others.

I did pick up on the subtle (or not) shot at Tina Fey for leaving SNL to do a sitcom. It certainly wasn't coincidence that this storyline appeard on Studio 60. Although the timing certainly couldn't have been planned.

I have been, and continue to be impressed with the ability of the cast to bring out these different emotions, while at the same time maintaining the humor and pace of the show. Kudos to Studio 60.moreless

Sorkin's rapid fire banter continues in this fantastic episode.

By sjs03, Nov 25, 2006

Great, great exchanges between Amanda Peet, Matt Perry and Bradley Whitford's characters. Meanwhile, Harriet has a great subplot with Tom and Simon, and some heartfelt conversations with Matt and Harriet. This show just gets better.....it's actually cerebral and clever. I just hope NBC have the character and integrity to keep it on the air. The dialogue is crackling, and yep you have to concentrate, but it just improves each week. The chemistry between Matt and Danny is fabulous, and the nuances are terrific. Harriet and Matt still obviously still care for each other deeply. May this show just keep rating!!moreless

Overall it was a great episode, and some parts made me laugh really hard, but enough with the cheesiness already!

By gaily_trinity, Nov 23, 2006

It seems like Sorkin, who brought us Josh and Donna in The West Wing, one of the best played out sexual tensions in the history of television, has forgotten how to do it. There is just no way that Matt and Harriet would act so lovingly when they are broken up, and when just until very recently they were still trying to get back at each other. Maybe I am just a sucker for realism in portrayed human situations, but I think it can be widely acknowledged as too cheesy. Jordan and Danny, on the other hand, are just great, and the past few episodes really deepened the understanding of their relationship. I am definitely hoping for some well-written and well played-out interaction there.

But again, it was a really good episode, that wasn't predictable, and that worked in the context of the show as a whole. Kudos for that.moreless

Leave your problems out the door.

By GeorgeJobson, Nov 22, 2006

"Studio 60 on the Sunset Stript" the second half of the best two hours on Monday night. It began with "Heroes" and it will end with "Studio 60 on the sunset Strip." That it shall be ever Monday night, unless NBC has other plans. Tonight's episode is about budget cuts and writers who wanted to quit the show. this is a well-written show about events after a show is put to bed. characters talking about next week's show, budget cuts, people who wanted to quit and Harriet who wants to be sexy. This epsode comes together very nicely. I like this epsiode. If I can stand behind "Heroes," I can stand behind "Studio 60 oin the Sunset Stript."moreless

Not their best.

By angelspinknose, Nov 22, 2006

Honestly nothing happened in this episode. Other than referring to the previous episode a few times. Harry was trying to decide whether she was going to do the semi-nude pictures. Ricky and Ron leaving was no big surprise. Although I loved the guy that used to be on Sex and the City.

STUDIO 60 KEEPS ON KEEPIN ON! The heads of the show are annoyed when Ricky & Ron don't switch the Final Draft format and the script makes the show run short! Jessica Simpson (host) fills with "Peace in the Midwest"!!! And Harriet wants to po

By jude12883, Nov 22, 2006

This was a tremendously entertaining episode of STUDIO 60 with pressure to use product placement (I'm sensing a theme at NBC as THE OFFICE and 30 ROCK have both used this in their episodes recently!) on the set. Jordan continues to face the fear of firing over her wanker ex-husband's gossip. The show runs short and Jessica Simpson has to fill with "Peace in the Midwest"! And Ricky and Ron are the reason the show runs short...Who would buy Peripheral Vision Man and have it as a sitcom pilot anyway?!?...

I loved the dialogue in this epsiode, as always! Brilliant!moreless

Matt being paranoid that the show sucked! Danny protecting Jordan? Harriet, Simon, Tom and even Matt deciding about lingerie! This may sound boring but it SO was not !!

By pinklavender, Nov 22, 2006

This show just gets better and better! Every week is building into something so good!

The tension that built up throughout this whole programme was incredible. The characters came alive! The relationship between each other created a firm foundation for the future to what will hopefully be a long series run! Both Danny and Jordan are strong but they have shown their human side and the sexual tension between them is obvious - is this a hint for what is to come??

The show also showed great irony in detailing the financial problems to allow a show to survive - also ratings - wow this shows what the show is really going through! Talk about bringing reality to the fore! Excellent - good move on the part of the writers!

The underhanded way the writers behaved was brilliant and Matts involvement in their downfall was very slick! Hopefully we will get to see more from Lucy - especially now she has kissed Matt!!moreless

Much better than the last few episodes...

By entil2001, Nov 21, 2006

In an odd move, Sorkin decided to make this episode something of an epilogue to his “Nevada Day” two-parter. The surprising thing is that it works better than the two episodes that came before it. The pacing is much better this time around, and by the time the episode is over, the audience is left reeling at how quickly things have gone from bad to worse for Matt and Danny.

If Sorkin dealt with the mass exodus of his writing staff on another series, I have no knowledge of it. Unfortunately, it seems like the extreme but logical consequence of Matt and Danny’s return to power. As Ron said, Ricky was essentially ruling the roost before Matt came back, and for better or worse, that should have granted him a conversation about the future, if nothing else. Instead, he was beaten down professionally and personally. It’s easy to see why he’d be able to convince the senior writers that they were equally undesirable.

I imagine that the success or failure of Peripheral Vision Man will continue to fester in the background, especially if Studio 60 begins to falter from the lack of creative diversity. With Matt focused so strongly on the writing and his relationship to Harriet, it falls to Danny to keep things in order. But it looks like Danny is distracted by a desire to help Jordan keep her job. Part of the fun is watching them do this high-wire act, but I see some painful moments ahead.

I’m beginning to fall in love with Jordan as a character. It doesn’t hurt that Amanda Peet is easy on the eyes, but it’s more her attitude and apparent naiveté. Was Jamie Tarses like this in the real world? She seems genuinely shocked at the prospect of being fired so soon, all while displaying a powerful stubborn streak and a lack of social skills. It doesn’t quite fit with the polished and confident Jordan from the pilot, but I think I like this more. I’m just a little worried that the decision to incorporate Peet’s pregnancy will derail the character development.

While the inspiration for the mass exodus of the writing staff or Jordan’s personal struggles may be not clear, the inspiration for the subplot involving Harriet and the lingerie shoot is all too obvious. Just as the fallout from Harriet’s gay marriage statement was an echo of something that happened to Kristen Chenoweth, the whole lingerie shoot issue seems all too similar to the discussion and criticism of Chenoweth’s decision to pose for FHM. It’s a little disappointing to think that Sorkin is still using this series as an expensive outlet for wish fulfillment.

(As a sidenote: I also have a new podcast associated with my various reviews called “Velocity TV”. Current episodes cover “Studio 60”, so it might be something of interest. Go to http://velocitytv.libsyn.com if you want to listen!)moreless

Load More Reviews