Suits "She's Mine" Review: Cat Scratch Fever

By MaryAnn Sleasman

Aug 28, 2013

Suits S03E07: "She's Mine"

"She's Mine" was one of those episodes that comes along after a time of great change on a show and basically resets everyone to the original factory settings, which leads me to believe that Darby's days at Pearson Darby Specter are numbered. The WTF-ery of Louis and Nigel's cat custody hearing aside, the outcome swiftly restored Louis' place as overlord of the associates. He rewarded Rachel for her service by pulling some strings and ensuring her a spot at Columbia, which means that no only does she no longer have to maybe possibly move to California to attend Stanford, Rachel doesn't even have to leave the city. Someone in the writers room remembered that Mike is supposed to have photographic memory superpowers, because his mad skillz were a vital part of ousting British Harvey for the snake that he was and with that confirmation of Stephen's villainy, Donna was free to go back to pining for her boss because that's totally healthy. 

It's not necessarily a bad thing that Suits put its toys back in their rightful spots this week. Worst kept secret at TV.com? I'm not crazy about this season so far, which is a shock that I'm still working toward getting over. The constant deferral to Harvey's omnipotence isn't new, but it's been grating this season because while every other character on the show underwent noticeable changes, Harvey not only stayed the same, but openly fought against the evolution of the firm. With Harvey's status as the constant on this show and the continued effort to void any big changes made to its characters, Suits seems to embrace stasis and if that's the game Suits wants to play, then okay, fine, let's play. 

Generally, a static story on a TV show is considered a more-bad-than-good thing, but there are certainly exceptions, and Suits itself has name-dropped two of those exceptions quite a bit in the past few weeks (though I didn't notice any obvious ones in "She's Mine"). The Sopranos and The Wire both embraced the idea that people, places, situations just don't change. After six seasons, Tony Soprano is still a probable sociopath with a soft spot for animals. After five seasons, Baltimore is still a declining, drug-infested industrial city with bone-deep corruption forcing the game into an endless checkmate. The Wire and The Sopranos are Great-with-a-capital-"G" shows and if Suits sees fit to draw from either or both of them in any small or large way, then yay for Suits. 

SO, here's what all went down in "She's Mine:"

Cameron wasn't bluffing about having Ava's evil general on his witness list. Jessica was PISSED–but some of that pissiness was left over from Harvey admitting to trying to overthrow her and part of that was just general Jessica pissiness. The parts of "She's Mine" that weren't occupied with that weird Louis/Nigel mock trial were mostly concerned with Jessica, Mike, and Harvey figuring out how Cameron got the general in the first place. 

STEPHEN–IT WAS STEPHEN. Why? Idk. He was acting on orders of Darby who was acting under orders of Nick or Ava or Nick and Ava and apparently, no one ever actually ordered the murders that got us stuck watching these crusty one-percenters bicker but someone–Steve probs–told the general to take care of things and he decided homicide was the way to go. Classy. British Harvey was pegged as the obvious choice for evil because he was on a rugby team with our general back in the day. Also Mike's superpowers. 

While the adults were trying to get things done, the rest of the office and Harold apparently didn't have to work and participated in a mock trial to determine who got custody of Nigel's cat–Nigel or Louis. Louis won and all of the associates realized that they actually appreciate him despite his casual daily mistreatment of them. It was actually a great little boost for Louis, who himself has been rather abused this season and definitely deserved the pick-me-up. But it was just such a weird story–and it took up so much time in the episode. 

But hey, Louis gets to go back to terrorizing the underlings, which has always brought joy to my heart when watching Suits. Yay Louis! 

Then Harvey punched Steve, because no Suits season is complete until Harvey punches someone in the men's room.

Now can we all get back to work, please? Kthnx. 

Case Notes

– So do you think Stephen was using Donna the entire time and their entire relationship was a sham, or was there a nugget of sincerity there? 

– Even if Ava is innocent-–and she probably is because that's how Suits rolls–can we talk about how all of this murder and bribery was happening and she had zero idea? I mean, I get trusting your second in command to not order murder in your name, but maybe a little bit of checking in from time to time would have helped? 

– What did you think of "She's Mine?"

• Comments (177)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • Vamps Sep 02, 2013

I loved the scenes with Louis, they were so funny.

• hilakarimov Sep 01, 2013

Hey, it's that guy who sold Don Draper the Coop in season 2!

• tryptz Sep 01, 2013

The cat mock trial this episode and the flashback last episode put a damper on the awesome season. I mean the cat mock trial when there real serious world issues to be dealt with pissed me off and Rachel was in it too. Glad that is over. now lets please get back to Eva Hessington!

• Akkustikkoppler Sep 01, 2013

all I'm saying this week are two words:

Pussy fights!

Read me next week.

• bleumystique Aug 31, 2013

Yeah, MaryAnn, my feelings on Suits this season are pretty much the same. I didn't hate this episode or anything, but my little happy go lucky Suits bubble got burst during the premiere. I really, really, really loved watching Suits. This summer, I just kinda, sorta like watching Suits...sometimes.

- I think there was some sincerity in Stephen. I think Stephen sincerely wanted to sex up Donna, and therefore he did. I think he genuinely liked her, because she is "Donna" rah, rah, rah, the sole character on the show whose name is used as a noun,verb, adjective, and adverb, oh my! I think he underestimated her among other things because he's evil British Harvey and he's arrogant, and an all around dick, with a narcissistic complex.
    -It's plausible. It would speak to how trusting she is of Nick, of course. I mean if she was one to check in and Nick was one to give the run around, it's possible she didn't really know. But, she isn't the type of character to not know some things... Ava is the type of woman, where Nick could have came to her with a "hypothetical" situation, and she'd adamantly tell him that they can't do something all the while nodding her head and winking because something mysteriously flew into her eye.
    -Oh boy. Literally as in the use of the title? It was about the cat mostly, and a bit about Donna. They always have those titles where it's about more than one thing and it all fits. But mostly the cat.

Other things:

• So, a reset button. That's all nice and great if they hadn't have gone out of their way to make things so tense and (unbearable) climatic between the characters since the beginning of the season. Suddenly throwing in a reset button as a quick fix when you've spent all season ripping things apart is a cop out, irritating,unsatisfying, somewhat insulting to the viewers as well as the characters and story. It's sitting through everything you suffer through watching just to get to the big payoff, and the payoff was a whimper instead of a bang. Let's just gloss over all that shizz we drudged up in all this time and move one. WTF?!
    • Character Evolution. If you're going to reset the characters, than reset the characters. The problem isn't that the characters haven't evolved, it's in how they've evolved. Season one Jessica was amazing, but grossly underused. Season two character introduced this "other Jessica" who is described by most of the fandom as bitchy, pissy, ruthless and whatever else, but Season two gave us a reason why she was behaving all of that way. Season three, Jessica is still behaving like Daniel Hardman is roaming around the office wreaking havoc, and I don't understand why. I don't understand why and it's pissing me off, and I can't even describe just why I find it offensive on so many levels. Season one Mike was the newbie, not as confident, kinda awkward bleeding heart etc, etc, Season Two Mike started becoming a bit of a jackass, and season three, we have the know it all, arrogant, jackass that is Mike now, which is clearly what would happen for anyone under Harvey's tutelage, but he lost remnants of what he was as a character. Harvey, same way. He's always been the lovable prick. Badass enough to be awesome, just soft enough "deep down inside" to make him complex whatever. Season three Harvey, of all people, has become the moral police, but he isn't even following his own moral code, and his lack of self awareness contradicts the Harvey of season one and season two. You can reset the characters. You can evolve the characters, but when you completely revamp the characters, it's problematic. Or that bloody, back and forth thing. It's like watching a pendulum swing from one extreme to the other. There is no healthy balance between who some of these characters were and who they are now, and it's jarring.
    • The Mock Trial. Humor used to be one of the best things about Suits, but then they upped all the drama to a new level, and the humor that is there isn't fitting anymore. Like the Mock Trial. It should have and would have been entertaining at some point in time, but it just screamed episode filler. It was a gross disservice to Rick Hoffman, because the abysmal lack of proper Litt use is appalling on so many levels when he's probably the only consistently likable character this season. Once again Louis being the joke of the firm. It was something for Rachel and Louis to do to give us an endgame of Rachel being accepted to Columbia (Dear God, I hope she goes. Run, be free, do something other than only serving a purpose for Mike ) and Louis getting his associates back. All that aside, I think Rachel (in particular) and Louis shine best when they share the screen together. I love them working together. So even though it was positively ridiculous, I enjoyed some parts of watching it. I mean anytime Rachel can come across competent, I'm ecstatic.
    • Harold. It was great seeing Harold again. LOL!
    • Nigel and the cat business. I like the frenemies thing he and Louis have going on.
    • Another point of ridiculousness, either Jessica is the ruthless,career oriented bitch or she isn't. I don't care how much they've reworked her character, no one can ever even so much as imply that she's incapable of doing her damn job. Especially Mike. I'm sorry, I get the loyalty blah, blah, blah and all but it isn't his place to speak to Jessica as though they're equals. They don't have that type of rapport. It also fits into the weird character changes in most of them. Mike used to at least have a modicum of respect for the hierarchy. Harvey used to operate under a " no one messes with my .... but me" mentality..that extended to all of his people even when they were doing stupid stuff amongst themselves. Mike should take this Jessica and Harvey crap as an example of what he'll undoubtedly be dealing with down the road with Harvey. Mike, not Harvey, but MIKE, being the one to call himself checking Jessica for being "too emotional" that she's being irrational and so forth was out of line. Plain and simple, it isn't his place, and the disrespect and disregard he's had for her authority long before she used him against Harvey is insane and it's just been growing. Plus Harvey's been throwing an adult tempertantrum for most of the season and Mike has been enabling and indulging it rather than calling him out on it, but that's all fine. Mike himself allows his emotions to interfere with him doing his job properly on a daily basis, but to have the audacity to accuse Jessica of being highly emotional ( all the while insinuating that she shouldn't be. I mean he was accusing her of that as though she were somehow overreacting and out of touch, and it rang too close to some misogynistic crap than anything else) was just irritating as hell to watch. It's that type of selective stuff that makes this season so irritating for me. I feel like Mike has gotten entirely way too big for his britches, and he's too comfortable for someone who technically shouldn't be there. Second year associates should not wield the type of power that he tries to wield. I actually look forward to Louis getting his associates back if it means he can knock Mike back down to Earth with the rest. But you either accuse Jessica of being the ruthless type with no emotional ties to anyone, and only herself and her firm on her mind, or you don't. You can't have it both ways. Mike carries himself like he's untouchable now, and it isn't pleasant to watch. I mean it wasn't just that Jessica scene either, but the way he interacted with Cameron as well.
    • Stephen being shady was no surprise at all. Pretty much expected that. In fact, I can't even say I was terribly surprised when they figured out he organized the hits. He takes being a fixer to new levels.
    • Wonderful. They reminded us of Mike's superpowers.
    • So now the plan is to joining forces again and go after evil Darby. Sooooo even though Jessica requested a truce twice, now that Harvey lucked up and ended up being right about Darby, and I say lucked up because his initial reasoning for opposing the merger was all personal/emotional crap and had nothing to do with rational business making decisions. Now that he's right about Darby and he's getting his way again, he can go back to working with Jessica, and let's all laugh and chuckle and pretend like nothing happened, and Jessica can go back to being a powerful person with her hands tied by Harvey, and Harvey can continue being in the right w/o ever having to acknowledge any wrongdoing and take accountability for his own actions. Sure. Okay. For my own peace of mind, can he at least wheel out a mother fudging tea trolley?
    • No season is complete w/o Harvey kicking somebody's ass. Sure, Donna apologizing profusely (didn't know she had it in her, honestly, but nice to see somebody else is capable of that) and being at the point of tears pushed him over the edge. As it probably should have. Donna doesn't apologize and she doesn't cry, so when it does happen...ish got real. I've always been fond of Harvey's protective streak, even when it does come out with a gust of machismo that also makes me roll my eyes while smirking in pleasure. His being protective of the people he cares about, that is always one of his best qualities. So him engaging in a bathroom brawl with Stephen was to be expected, much like punching Tanner out when he did the double whammy of insulting Jessica (and denigrating Jessica and Harvey's relationship) all the while bringing up Harvey's mommy issues, or when he was all ready to beat the crap out of the guy who beat up Mike etc. I like protective Harvey. And you don't mess with his people, Donna, Jessica, Mike, Ray, hell, even Louis. I expected nothing less from him. It's what good friends do. I guess.

• zampognaro Aug 31, 2013

Sooooo ... basically everything is back to the way it was before. I feel a little cheated ... and what was all that filler crap with the cat trial??
    This was by far the worst episode of Suits in 3 seasons!

• ElisaDiaz Aug 30, 2013

I don't know why I didn't think of this title thing before... did they create the whole cat thing so that they could call the episode "she's mine" and give some strange reference to Donna without really talking about it...?

• tegala Aug 30, 2013

Great episode! Does anybody know who the female associate dressed in black is? She was seen at the Mock Trial (in the audience, not on the jury) and then speaking to Mike briefly outside Harvey's office when Donna bumps into Mike. Screen shots on my blog.

• fleur-de-lune Aug 30, 2013

Maybe I'm just reading into this, partially because I want to, but MAYBE "She's Mine" was covertly about Harvey and Donna.

Because... the moment of the night was at the end of the episode when Donna is crying and says, "sorry Harvey." That is when it hits Harvey that Donna, HIS Donna was used by Stephen.

You can see the realization in his face, like "oh, man." After he sees her crying. And of course then he goes and beats up Stephen to defend her honor, and of course because he totally screwed up his case.

So logically, which means it won't happen on the show, but logically wouldn't they just tell Darby that Stephen screwed the whole thing up, and then placed the blame on Ava, and then interfered to keep the blame on Ava. If Ava is Darby's pal, then he would side with her, fire Stephen, and help send his insubordinate ass to jail.... right?

We've never -I don't think- seen Donna in revenge mode, so that should be something really interesting to watch next week.

I know there's a murder trial and all, but I really don't care. I'm far more emotionally invested in Harvey and Donnas relationship. I know that's a long way coming, but it's going to be so good when it does.

• waynebrown129 Aug 31, 2013

That was all about Donna. Harvey looked at her and saw her pain. It was a bit like when she took the fall for Harvey i.e. when she was sacked - specifically, when she was leaving the building [Sarah Rafferty does heartbroken incredibly well]. It's nice to see these over-slick egomaniac lawyers act with their hearts occasionally. Yeah I do like Suits but let's not forget that it's based on a branch of the law that is not known for humanity and compassion.

• dodge_hickey Aug 29, 2013

This week was very good, they've straightened out the funk they got into before the flashback episode. The Louis & Rachael team up was a lot of fun to watch, Louis has become my favorite character to watch this season
    (Harvey became such a bully, I don't know what the hell they are doing with Mike, Jessica is not very interesting this season and Donna has been a mess since episode 1).
    The moment Harvey started beating the sh*t out of Stephen really made the episode for me. I never really liked him to begin with, god only knows what is happening with the merger towards the end of the season as I think Darby is in on the hole frame job too.

This episode wasn't the breath of fresh air as last weeks flashback episode but it was still a damn good episode by Suits standards. 3 episodes left til it takes a break and I think they will pull out all the stops before Suits sales off for a few months.

• See More Comments (55)