Phew! The CW Says "Nope" to Supernatural: Bloodlines

By Tim Surette

May 08, 2014

The Supernatural apocalypse has been stopped again, whew! Only this time, it wasn't Sam and Dean putting the lid on Satan, it was CW execs preventing a truly awful idea from being made into a television show. The network has officially passed on the proposed Supernatural: Bloodlines spinoff, TVLine reports

The news comes the same day that The CW ordered new shows about a med student who is a zombie and solves crimes (iZombie), a really fast guy (The Flash), a group preventing the apocalypse (The Messengers), and a pregnant virgin (Jane the Virgin). There's no word on the network's final pilot that was in contention, Identity, but a lack of word means it's probably out. 

Audiences got a taste of Supernatural: Bloodlines last week, when the backdoor pilot aired as a Supernatural episode. The "Godfather with fangs" concept followed Ennis, the son of a cop who discovered that Chicago was run by five monster families after his girlfriend was killed. There was also some forbidden love between a werewolf and a shapeshifter, and a bar where monsters hung out. MaryAnn did not like it. Kaitlin did not like it. I did not like it. My cats HATED it. In fact, much of the Supernatural fandom didn't like it, either. Either The CW heard our groans or it had its own suspicions; regardless, it did the right thing.

But hey, Supernatural: Original Flavor is coming back next year!

How sad are you that Supernatural: Bloodlines won't be a series? Sad, really sad, or anti-sad? Did The CW make the right call?

• Comments (140)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • THEONLYDRAVEN Apr 15, 2015

The episode's Romeo and Juliet plot was truly the one thing that ruined the expectations of the show; other than that, I would have enjoyed it as a spin-off! It truly would have been interesting to see things from the monster's view

• joshwomer Apr 02, 2015

Any spinoff from this show should focus on one of two things.
    1. Men of Letters. i think that would be a great show with much potential!
    2. The adventures of John Winchester and children Sam and Dean. TBH i believe everyone would like to see more of the childhood of Sam and Dean up until Season 1 Episode 1. :)

• JustToComment May 24, 2015

Another good spinoff would be something with the Judah Initiative.That would be really awesome! They literally tease Aaron at us and then disregard it entirely.

• thomasharrison108 Jan 06, 2015

Am I the only one who was actually excited to see this? I really enjoyed the episode :C

• krabspong77 Apr 12, 2015

You are not alone.

• Breg24 Oct 17, 2014

I loved the episode! I would have watched it, was nice to see someone who looked like me be a main character for a show focusing on the supernatural. Sad and disappointed it won't be happening. I think it had a lot of potential.

• CaptainKokomo549 Aug 09, 2014

I honestly thought this was a parody of vampire diaries or gossip girl with fangs or some other BS cookie cutter crap. To much talkie talkie, gossip gossip, everyone sleeping with everyone. Models playing teenagers pretending their lives and petty crap is the most important thing on the planet.

I am thankful to every deity in the series for them not picking up this UTTER PIECE OF SHIT! I honestly did think it was a joke and it annoyed me enough to right this rant 15 minutes into the episode. We don't need another pansy tv drama with paranormal themes.

People liked supernatural because it wasn't like vampire diaries or any other pissy little weak drama series.

• petrbut Jun 04, 2014

I like this episode! It would be a great show! The best episode in long time! Please, change your decision to cancel it! We need something new!

• Neejan Jun 11, 2014

It's everything except new.

• TrueBadluckLu May 22, 2014

Actually I believe Supernatural: Bloodlines had the potential for a great series.

• TwylaLillysnodgrass May 30, 2015

Same Herr

• XonnValenshire May 15, 2014

Glad it wasn't picked up. Bloodlines was basically Twilight meets the Sopranos.
    Ghostfacers would be funny, but it would get old quickly. Any prequel based on dead characters is ultimately a dead end (excuse the pun) and would be lucky to last a few seasons.
    The Men of Letters however is the perfect spin off. It's largely open-ended, can be based on virtually any time or place, and is a very intriguing Indiana Jones-ish type story. Go with that.

• sergioleandro1 May 15, 2014

Good riddance!

• VanessaSchrap May 12, 2014

I'm all for a Spin-Off, but I'm glad this one got cancelled. It wasn't the right fit, it had little to do with what Supernatural is about. I got the feeling from it that the makers from Bloodlines didn't have the first clue about what makes Supernatural tick - or what the fans want to see.
    A series about Men of letters with Flashbacks in the 50s? I would watch something like that in a heartbeat!

• See More Comments (66)