News Briefs: The CW Still Wants to Do a Supernatural Spin-off

By Tim Surette

May 16, 2014

LET'S HOPE IT'S NOT MORE MONSTER FAMILIES RUNNING CITIES!

... Remember that Supernatural spin-off that The CW tried out a few weeks ago? Yeah, we wish we could forget the Supernatural: Bloodlines pilot, too. But just because it was met with near-universal opposition doesn't mean the network is done trying to milk the franchise! During a conference call with reporters this morning, CW boss Mark Pedowitz said he's going to give a Supernatural extension another shot next year, and that Bloodlines "just didn't get there" this season. He continued, "We want to develop once more for next season, what it is or isn't will be discussed come June or July." Might we suggest an entire series dedicated to future, stoner, orgy-having Castiel from Season 5's "The End"? [Deadline]

BUSINESS TIME

... WGN America has announced a release date for its slick-looking new series Manhattan: Sunday, July 27 at 10pm. The 1940s period drama follows a group of scientists who are recruited to work on the first atomic bomb as they're forced to to keep their jobs secret from their families. John Benjamin Hickey, Olivia Williams, and Daniel Stern will star. I'm totally excited for this show, and you should be too. Watch the trailer below! [WGN via press release]

... Arrow news! Now that you've seen Oliver Queen and Barry Allen (a.k.a. Señor Flash) play superhero games against each other in the first look at The Flash, you're probably dying for more from the Starling City/Central City universe. Yes, even more than the five-minute Flash trailer that is all sorts of cool. And you shall have it!. The Flash's pilot will feature a crossover with Arrow, with Allen visiting Queen in Starling City. There you go. Now you barely even need to see the pilot anymore! [TV Guide]

... The premiere for Fox's cruel bait-and-switch fake dating show I Wanna Marry Harry has been moved up a week to Tuesday, May 20, where it will follow the first night of American Idol's two-night season finale. In the show, a bunch of gullible women are tricked into thinking they are part of a reality to show competition to marry Prince Harry of Wales, when in fact they're getting goo-goo eyes over some regular ginger with a huge forehead. [Fox via press release]

CASTING NEWS

... A second dose of Arrow news? Sure! Actor John Barrowman, who plays bad-guy Malcolm Merlyn on the CW hit, has been promoted to series regular for the show's upcoming third season. The news was sorta-announced by social media hound Stephen Amell this morning via a Twitter photo. [Stephen Amell's Twitter]

... Donald Sumpter and Elizabeth Perkins have come on board SundanceTV's four-hour miniseries One Child. The program tells the story of a Chinese-born woman who is adopted by English parents and must figure out who she really is. Perkins, who you know from Weeds, and Sumpter, who you know as Maester Luwin from Game of Thrones, will play the parents. [SundanceTV via press release]

... Gilles Marini (Dancing With the StarsSwitched at Birth) will guest-star in the season finale of Devious Maids. His character will be tied to Roselyn Sanchez's Carmen, which probably means they'll get it on. I'm just basing that on six decades of television. [TV Guide]

BUY THIS NOW! (OR SOON, RATHER)

... Look, I don't want to tell you how to spend your money, but there's a new Twin Peaks Blu-ray box set coming out on July 29 that features 90 minutes of deleted scenes from Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me. That kidney transplant can wait. [EW]

REQUIRED READING

... Want to read some theories about why CBS passed on How I Met Your Dad? I mean, other than the fact that it was a terrible idea in the first place? Here you go! [Vulture]

RECENT STORIES YOU MAY HAVE MISSED ON TV.COM

... The CW announced its 2014-2015 schedule today. And it also released trailers for its two new falls shows, including a dazzling preview of The Flash.

... I took a look at CBS's schedule and discussed the good, the bad, and ugly of it.

... Some big news came out of The Vampire Diaries' Season 5 finale: [Spoiler] is [spoiler]!!!

• Comments (110)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • fleur-de-lune May 20, 2014

I may be bias, but I would love to see the CW do a strong female show. Are there ANY right now? Beauty and the Beast does not count, Jane the virgin does not count, Vampire Diaries... seriously does not count, Reign... ehhh no.

They could make a Supernatural spin off on women hunters. We see the guys using their muscle and guns to solve everything, wouldn't it be interesting to watch how women fight?

I for one, would love to see some strong women characters on TV.

Or maybe an Adam spinoff... I thought about a Cas one, but you really can't have Cas without Dean, and you can't have Dean without Sam.. so what's the point.

• BloodLiness May 19, 2014

La mejor serie de la historia, éxito mundial.

• fleur-de-lune May 20, 2014

Troll much?

Supernatural Bloodlines la mejor serie de la historia

Éxito mundial para Supernatural Bloodlines.

• See More Comments (79)