Oh Hell No: Watch the First Trailer for Supernatural: Bloodlines (VIDEO)

By Kaitlin Thomas

Apr 23, 2014

I have flip-flopped so much on how I feel about Supernatural: Bloodlines that if I ever run for political office, this is definitely going to be what brings me down (well, that and my internet-browsing history). The CW has released the first trailer for the spin-off's backdoor pilot, which will air as a regular episode of Supernatural next week, and I have to be honest, I'm back to giving the potential series major side-eye, guys.

According to the official episode description, Sam and Dean are drawn to the Windy City on a case, at which point they find out about the monster mafia running the city. Et voila! That's how baby spin-offs are made! But it seems to me that Sam and Dean should've known about Chicago's situation before now, considering they've been hunting monsters and demons for their entire lives. They've criss-crossed the United States more than Forrest Gump. How is this news to them?

Anyway, the quick promo gives us a look at Lucien Laviscount (Skins) as Ennis Ross, a police academy trainee who's roped into the monster war at the heart of Bloodlines after a loved one is caught in the crossfire. And you can tell he's not having any of it because he specifically yells, "Oh hell no!" in the teaser: 

So, uh, what'd you think? Hit the comments with your own thoughts, reactions, and suggestions as to how The CW can make this possible spin-off better, because right now it looks about as well-done as an early Ghostfacers hunt.

• Comments (111)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • VeronicaAndersson Apr 29, 2014

Gotta admit, the first thought I got when I was watching the trailer was: Great, gives us some normalsized actors that shows how freaking tall Jensen Ackles (and Jared Padalecki) really is. Maybe ''the short one'' nickname will disappear ;D

• IlgtYld Apr 26, 2014

Just please not another teen show. There are tons of teen shows lately from sci-fi genre to horror / thriller. It seems soon there will be nothing left to watch but teen shows.

• libra113 Apr 26, 2014

It's the CW they're practically teen show central. I mean they have toned down these days and "Arrow" and "Flash" are steps in the right direction but then there are a lot of the other shows.

Lest we forget that this is the network that spent years hating "Supernatural" for breaking that mold and spent years at best ignoring the show until it suddenly got popular and they saw dollar signs.

• No1Slayerette Apr 24, 2014

I was sceptical when it was first announced, but having read a more fleshed-out logline I think it could have potential. Sort of sounds like what The Originals is doing at the moment.

And it's not as if Supernatural has been all that great recently anyway, definitely not enough for a failed spin-off, should Bloodlines be unsuccessful, to tarnish it's reputation.

• vcivi Apr 24, 2014

I love supernatural, so don't get me wrong...but i believe that Sam and Dean should have been done after season 5...now there is a season 10 coming..when will it ever end...?
    Now we get a spin off, af fat as i could see about a very young guy ( just as young as the first season Sam and Dean) so we can watch him grow in the spinn off just like Sam and Dean...+ Don't we have enough vampire kind series..
    Love TVW and the Originals...and think that was a good spinn off...
    But now Flash is coming too, and i don't know..now all spinn off works..
    I heard they want to make also another Charmed, ruining the original one completely...
    Ravenswood was horrible spin off PLT
    Once upon a time in Wonderland, was so bad spinn off..it made me almost cry...

So i am watching the season 9 of Supernatural, i wll see automaticely the episode of the spinn off and get back with my thoughts about it.

• libra113 Apr 26, 2014

"Flash" is so going to rock (can't wait). I wish they would give the Suicide Squad a spin off as well (maybe next season).

• safibwana Apr 24, 2014

Okay, I feel like I'm doing the job a studio exec should have already done, but here's some "notes":
    You can get away with at most one or two of the monster families having been secret from Sam and Dean all this time.
    The others have to be new arrivals trying ti encroach on their territory, that makes it more interesting anyway.
    Five monster families is too many.
    You need a team of hunters. This wouldn't go ignored by the hunter community. Make them one of the crime families to make things interesting. Good people doing bad things for good ends.
    To stand out from the originals make one of the families not monsters, but angels.
    Make sure you have some strong female characters.
    Make sure it feels like Chicago. Rather a lot of us have spent time there. Its kind of a big city. I want to see landmarks and clubs and restaurants I recognize. I want to see homeless people and drug addicts and tourists.
    Litter the cast with known genre actors. They are cheap and people will loyally follow them to a new show.
    Hire some writers who have written good episodes for genre shows before.
    Have a defined multiseason arc with a beginning middle and end defined by a single story architect.
    Hmm, this least won't go halfway to fixing this show, but it's a start.

• libra113 Apr 26, 2014

Don't know if angels have been active long enough to have a family in this thing. Also, is this whole structure supposed to a way to keep the monsters in check or are they just as dangerous as any others.

If the system keeps the monsters in check then I can see other hunters who found out about it leaving well enough alone. If not then I don't see how it's lasted this long.

Also, haven't Sam and Dean been to Chicogo before? Why didn't they find out about this before?

• dazednconfuuzed Apr 27, 2014

They were in Chicago when Dean met with Death in the pizza joint, it was gunna be destroyed until Death gave up his ring to help them re-trap Lucifer..5.21 Two Minutes to Midnight.

• libra113 Apr 27, 2014

Yeah and in season one as well. I can see maybe the whole meeting with Death and stuff and that Dean wasn't there that long would be a good reason he didn't fin out then and MAYBE they were focused on other things before but I guess wait and see. :)

• libra113 Apr 27, 2014

Guess they were too busy then to notice monsters running the city. :)

• dazednconfuuzed Apr 27, 2014

I'd totally forgotten about Meg's trap for John in season 1 being in Chicago, good catch.

• Goqklf56 Apr 24, 2014

Nathaniel Buzolic should have returned as a regular on The Originals as Kol Mikaelsson, at least until it failed rather than this unnecessary spin-off.

• chris17blue Apr 24, 2014

No ... this looks awful. The CW should give up on spin-off, the Originals is already failing, I expect the same to happen to the Flash (bad casting/I predict a disaster). Just stop!

• libra113 Apr 26, 2014

are yiu high? I have NEVER heard anyone say a bad word about "Flash" or any of the casting (even casting Iris as a black character barely got a bad reaction).

Everyone I've seen is excited and can't wait for it to start.

• chris17blue Apr 27, 2014

Yes, I'm very high.

• libra113 Apr 27, 2014

good one. Seriously though I haven't heard a bad word about the show other than maybe the suit (which I just remembered) but then when "Arrow" started he was wearing freaking eye makeup and that changed so it's not like we're wedded to the suit.

Also, John Wesley Shipp is in it! That's a major selling point right there and if he's playing Jay Garrick it will be comic book Nirvana. :)

• libra113 Apr 27, 2014

I don't know I think Stephen Amell does a good job and he seems to be getting better as the series unfolds. I was a bit worried about the guy playing the Flash but he seemed to do well when he was on "Arrow" so I'm not really worried about that.

The only two things I can recall people complaining about online were the costume (which isn't great but I figure it will either be tinkered with over time or it will grown on us) and them casting a non-white actress as Iris (and that one wasn't nearly as big as similar casting announcements and the other cast members didn't seem to raise any eyebrows).

The thing I don't like is that guy from "Ed" being in the cast. I've never really cared for him but I'm hoping it won't hurt the show too much.

• chris17blue Apr 27, 2014

The lead can't act. The same can be said about Arrow though most of the supporting cast carries the show imo.

• Eunomiac Apr 24, 2014

That teaser showed so little, I'm surprised it could change anyone's opinion one way or another.

• Aesandil Apr 24, 2014

So worrying... Sam and Dean look totally out of place there.

• _Fire_Ice Apr 27, 2014

Yah I'm worried they are gonna do what they did on TVD to Caroline when Elena first became a vampire and shut of her emotions. Which was make Caroline suck and lose fights so the "new" character (emotionless Elena) can look awesome/like a badass. The fact they are making Sam and Dean look like the biggest dumbasses for not knowing about this in the first place is also pissing me off. I mean I know Bobby is dead, but Garth is still organizing the hunters, what is their excuse here? Maybe, and this is a BIG maybe, the show will be decent enough once it gets on its own, but that is gonna be hard for the first little while, because it stems from Supernatural and that universe. Sam and Dean are like the be all and end all of that world and solve its problems, they are gonna have to address in a major way why they are leaving this to a newbie hunter. I don't know I'm not optimistic. But I no there is no point resisting the truth that I will give it at least the 4 episode test out of respect for Supernatural.

• mad-pac Apr 24, 2014

Well, Supernatural was a WBTV show, and I feel they are trying to make more of a CW show instead, and not necessarily a Supernatural spinoff, despite what they call it. It's supposed to attract a whole new generation of viewers, but I'm afraid us old-timers who have been watching Supernatural since the good old times of season 1 won't find this new show as appealing.

Now I'm wondering why the CW couldn't give supernatural the same treatment they gave to The Vampire diaries and their spinoff, The Originals, which feature characters that were important in the original show, and I believe, share a similar identity.

I have the feeling the Supernatural audience has grown to old for the CW to really focus on them anymore. The king is dead (oh, well, not quite yet). Long live the king.

• libra113 Apr 26, 2014

Actually the WB hated "Supernatural" for not fitting it's teen girl fanbase. They were always ignoring it and dissing the show and it flirted with cancellation nearly every season until a few years back when it started making more money and suddenly they loved it. I even remember before that there being some president of the network (Dawn someone) who publicly said she hated and didn't understand "Supernatural" and there were rumors she had a personal vendetta against the show and wanted it cancelled.

As for spinning off established characters, they've pretty much killed them all off so there isn't really anyone to spin off. Yes, ideally that's how you do it but in a show with two main characters it's not possible.

• mad-pac Apr 27, 2014

When I said Supernatural was a WB show I meant it to emphasize it was not a traditional CW show, no matter how much it was not appreciated in the WB. As for the spinoff, I didn't mean necessarily to keep characters established in the flagship show, but themes instead. WE could have interesting shows about Men of Letters set in the 1940s, for example, or one about angels (maybe a Castiel spinoff), or one about rippers. many different themes have been presented already without having to resort to a new idea added at the last minute.

• libra113 Apr 27, 2014

"Supernatural" broke the WB mold of the day when it started. The rumor was the network president who took over the merger that formed the CW had it out for former WB shows as she originally worked for UPN and had a soft spot for their shows. That was mostly rumor but she did go on record as saying she hated "Supernatural" and didn't understand it at all. That of course changed when the ratings shot up and here we are.

I really doubt the CW wants to do a series set in the 40's but maybe they could do one where Sam and Dean stumble on other legacies and the other decide to try and form a new Men of Letters or something. Still, that might be too close to Sam and Dean since they would likely need the bunker (unless they find another one or something) or the group has been working, in the last year or so, on their own and have their own stuff.

I'm all for a Cas spin off but that always felt like it would be best saved for after "Supernatural" ends unless you want a ton of crossovers which would be clunky and awkward.

A Garth one would be good too but the guy who plays him is already a lead on "Legit" so I don't know if he would have time to do both.

Honestly, by killing off a bunch of people they hurt themselves on making a more direct spinoff.

• kellieburch94 Apr 25, 2014

Now I'm wondering why the CW couldn't give supernatural the same treatment they gave to The Vampire diaries and their spinoff, The Originals, which feature characters that were important in the original show, and I believe, share a similar identity.

I would say that is because Supernatural has killed off all of the potential important characters except the main characters (Sam, Dean, Castiel and Crowley) and the only remaining side character Jody Mills. Where as TVD had many regular important characters that kind of needed to have their own show.

I have thought that it may be possible that Garth could make an appearance in the spin off since he is now a werewolf. That would be cool to see Garth again.

• mad-pac Apr 27, 2014

Again as I've just stated above I didn't neceesarily mean characters established in the original series, but themes instead. We could have interesting shows about Men of Letters set in the 1940s, for example, or one about angels (maybe a Castiel spinoff), or one about rippers. many different themes have been presented already without having to resort to a new idea added at the last minute.

• See More Comments (41)