Dean Winchester and Food: A Supernatural Love Story

By Kaitlin Thomas

May 21, 2014

Over the course of its nine seasons, Supernatural has introduced more than its fair share of farfetched storylines, many of which have resulted in the death of one of the Winchesters. In fact, the only Supernatural character who's died more times than Sam or Dean is the Dean of "Mystery Spot," who suffered a very bad (and eternal) Tuesday as the Trickster/Gabriel killed him over and over and over again in very Groundhog's Day-esque time loop. It was hilarious—"You mean we can't even go out for breakfast?" "You'll thank me when it's Wednesday!"—but beneath the humor of watching Dean get crushed by a falling piano or poisoned by a bad taco was the heartbreaking realization that the Winchesters really only have each other. It's why they've gone to such great lengths—including Dean selling his soul at one point—to keep each other alive.

With the introduction of Castiel in Season 4 as the angel who gripped Dean tight and raised him from perdition (a result of the aforementioned soul-selling), Supernatural introduced two more relationships to its ranks: the slashy 'shipper pairing Destiel (which has been renamed Holy Hell after the events of the game-changing Season 9 finale), and Team Free Will, which came about in Season 5 when Dean jokingly assigned the nickname to the trio of Dean, Sam, and Cas ("Team Free Will. One ex-blood junkie, one dropout with six bucks to his name, and Mr. Comatose over there. Awesome.")

But there's one more relationship at the heart of Supernatural, one that we often see but probably don't think much about. And it's possibly the most important one of all. I'm referring, of course, to the love affair between Dean and food. 

We should've known something was terribly wrong during "Do You Believe in Miracles?" when Dean ordered a coffee and nothing else at lunch. But then Crowley got on his case (oh, you sneaky King of Hell!) and Dean ordered his normal burger and fries... which he then left sitting on the table. Still, with everything else going on, who would've faulted Dean for taking a day off from the Clean Plate Club? After all, I always lose my appetite when I'm gripped by blood lust. And all of this was leading to the surprising final scene of the episode, when Dean became a demon—literally his worst nightmare. 

So now we know why he had to let that salty goodness remain untouched. And as we continue to process the finale's big game-changer, I think it's only appropriate that we gather together to mourn and say goodbye to Dean/Food. It's long been my favorite OTP, and here are the .GIFs to prove it.

Eating cocktail weenies in "Nightmare" 

Stuffing his face with quiche in "Provenance"

Chowing down on the caramels in "Tall Tales"

Praising Craft Services in "Hollywood Babylon"

Stealing Sam's food in "Folsom Prison Blues

Lovin' on a sandwich in "What Is and What Should Never Be"

Getting an ice cream headache in "Bad Day at Black Rock"

Seizing an opportunity in "Red Sky at Morning"

Eating bad tacos in "Mystery Spot" 

Going to town on a burger in "Time Is On Our Side"

Appreciating a big pretzel in "Monster Movie"

Munching on a sandwich in "Wishful Thinking" 

Proving he's just like the rest of us in "The Purge"

What are your favorite Dean/Food OTP moments? Will you miss them? And what's Dean going to do without pie?

• Comments (58)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • kanniballl May 27, 2014

Dean realizing he ate some evil grey goo planted in the fast food restaurants by the Leviathans.

• mahalivelifefun May 27, 2014

"I don't care, that I don't care."

• kanniballl May 27, 2014

When Sam and Dean learned that the Leviathans had poisoned a lot of the world's food supply via bad corn syrup and they're at the convenience store.

Dean excitingly brings back some pie which says "all natural ingredients" and Sam breaks his heart saying that corn syrup is a natural ingredient.

• KendraNutt May 27, 2014

Sam you forgot the pie!

• mahalivelifefun May 27, 2014

"Love me some pie."

• Darla2010 May 27, 2014

Dean and Pudding :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b5OIIOcnVQ

• osdawaya16 May 27, 2014

"I think you pissed off my sandwich."

• Neejan May 27, 2014

PIE baby

• PaulWoolley May 27, 2014

PUDDING!!!!!

• JuanivanderMe May 27, 2014

I also noticed Dean not eating the burger,and immediately said to my husband,that's the one big sign that Dean is changing completely.

• MichelleHood24 May 27, 2014

All of them. The mommet dean said no to the burger in the season final I freaked out abit a new something was wrong and so did Crowley.

• bryanphillippi1 May 27, 2014

I'm pretty sure one could make an article called "Dean Winchester and Drinks" and base it off of one season.

• See More Comments (22)