Supernatural: Tribes May Not Have Any Winchesters, But It WILL Have Daddy Issues

By Kaitlin Thomas

Feb 20, 2014

It doesn't matter how hard I try to pretend The CW's horribly titled Supernatural spin-off pilot isn't happening; it just keeps finding new ways to ruin my day. We already know that the Chicago-set Supernatural: Tribes will follow a cast of non-Winchester and non-honorary-Winchester characters battling five warring monster families, and thanks to TV Guide, we now have a few more details about its impending debut: The backdoor pilot will air later this spring as the twentieth episode of Supernatural's ninth season, with the Brothers Winchester traveling to the Windy City for a case. Once there, they'll run into Tribes' protagonist, Ennis Roth, a human cop who's been pulled into the world of hunting following the death of a family member—much like the Winchesters were so many years ago. Ennis also has some deep-seated daddy issues, because daddy issues are the hot, sticky blood that runs through the veins of the Supernatural world. Would it kill The CW to give Tribes its own style and flavor, or am I going to have to sell my soul at a crossroads to make that happen?

• Comments (85)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • KollinLore Feb 24, 2014

Among all the quick to judge complaints I don't understand people's problems with the title "Tribes," I mean if you think about it "Supernatural" is not exactly a jump out at you, original title in itself, in fact it is kind of bland - but it works nevertheless.

• cindylp Feb 23, 2014

I'm already disappointed in the casting and plots. Very uninspiring. Storyline is old and unoriginal. It's just going to fall flat from the comparison to it's parent show. Supernatural was a rare occurrence with the combination of a great storyline, actors and directors. The powers that be should have just let it come to an end and not squeezed some more cash out of it with a spin-off.

• saizen33 Feb 21, 2014

I'm still not sure I'm going watch this, but I would rather see the lead character be a recurring character this season, and then if he really likeable, then have him get his own series. Is one episode going to be enough that we care what happens to him?

I'd like to see a Winchester relative be the main character, like Sam and Dean's cousin.

• LauraPortaRoy Feb 21, 2014

What happened to all the Campbells?

• TrevPlatt Feb 21, 2014

That would be a better title too "The Campbells"

• libra113 Feb 25, 2014

Except that they all died and most of them were demon possessed to start with.

• meganwindorski Feb 21, 2014

I really think this spin off is stupid and should be terminated.

• melissaann68 Feb 21, 2014

The mother and father issues brings audiences to watch..cause in reality we all have issues with one parent or both.

• bkyle2429 Feb 20, 2014

every show at some point will have mommy or daddy issues at some point!!

• Thanatos360 Feb 20, 2014

I'm reserving my judgement until I actually see the show. It might be amazing.

• lynna12000 Feb 20, 2014

Most pilots with a supernatural/comicverse bent sound ridiculous. When I first heard of Supernatural, my immediate reaction was 'Buffy, only with guys. Don't think it will last.' I was wrong. It outlasted Buffy.

So, there are going to be parental issues of one sort or another. I would only be surprised if it didn't.

Beating it up before it actually airs seems counter productive.

• Gislef Feb 20, 2014

In fairness, most American male writers of modern-day scripted dramas seem to be obsessed with their fathers, and transfer that onto the characters they write. If the characters don't have father issues, then they have mother issues. If they don't have mother issues, they have parent issues.

Supernatural - check.

Arrow - Pretty much all of the first season. Now Oliver has traded up to mother issues.

Psych - Check

Person of Interest - Just found out Finch has father issues

Grimm - Nick's mother, Monroe and Natalie's parents

Once Upon a Time: All over the place with father and mother issues

OUaT/Wonderland - Alice's father

Heck, on original Star Trek, Spock had father issues.

The Following - Now Emma has mother issues

24 - Okay, nothing there. But then Jack wasn't born, he was shot out of a gun, right? :)

I'm sure it's not every show, but there's enough...

• libra113 Feb 25, 2014

I would say Ollie earned his mommy issues although I DO think he Because I don't know anything about them and have no strong feelings one way or the other. I DO think he overracted a tad last episode and hopefuly he will back peddel a bit next episode. :)

• JackSaat Feb 21, 2014

This comment has been removed.

• ladyvampire44 Feb 20, 2014

FYI: Emma became Joe's follower BECAUSE of her mother issues, and killed her mother because of her Joe issues.

• KarenPuzio Feb 20, 2014

Watch season 6 of 24. Jack has loads of Daddy issues.

• Mate Feb 20, 2014

Also his Jack's father kill his brother.

• Mate Feb 20, 2014

Pretty much anything Ryan Murphy is associated with has mommy issues.

• Gislef Feb 20, 2014

Season 3 of American Horror Story didn't really have any. A little bit with Hank and his father, but I wouldn't call either one of them more then tertiary characters.

I don't think Season 2 of AHS did either...

But from what I've seen of Murphy's work, just going by AHS, he seems to take a very... matriarchal stance with his TV work.

• ladyvampire44 Feb 22, 2014

Did you actually watch Season 3 of American Horror Story?

• Gislef Feb 22, 2014

Well, yes... I kind of have to. :)

• Mate Feb 20, 2014

Season 3 didn't what now? Cordelia and Fiona? Kyle and his mom molesting him? Luke and his mom, with the bleach enema and her suffocating him with a pillow?

Season 2. The killer Johnny literally tried to kill his mother Lana to accomplish what his father never could. The lactophilia he had when he paid a prostitute so that he could feed on her breast milk and get something that his mother never did to him?

The original killer his father killed all of those women because of his lack of relationship with his mother. He admitted that to Lana when he had her tied to the bed.

• Gislef Feb 22, 2014

I don't think Cordelia and Fiona had father issues, no. :) Which was my original statement, and the one I was going with.

Kyle and Luke didn't have father issues.

Johnny and the original killer didn't have father issues, either.

I acknowledged the mother issues, with my comment about Murphy taking a matriarchal stance.

• Gislef Feb 20, 2014

I suppose you could argue that Kim Bauer has father issues. But when your dad beats God two out of three in arm-wrestling matches, what do you expect...?

• headclub Feb 20, 2014

What a travesty... Ya know what, for the ppl who will give this a chance, good for you, no offense and nothing personal... but this sounds like garbage mated with trash and had a babby called tribes...fine, but to degrade SPN to try and sell this lame...greed has no bounds, my friends..

• See More Comments (21)