Shut Up, Dr. Phil

Good
7.9

In response to

By brendacarter31, Nov 22, 2013

This was a classic monster-storyline-aside episode. The fact that Sam and Dean couldn't take down Don (Marsters) and Maggie(Carpenter) was a great BtVS/Angel reunion. We've had similar too-strong-but-not-apocalyptic-enough-to-kill episodes in the past (child Damian, the greek gods/Promeheus). Anyhow the boys have allowed some bads to get by for the sake of them not being their main focus. Sam and Dean have goofed up with their monster terminex before, so it makes sense that they cant/dont always kill the big bads. In this case, Don/Maggie were a smart combo (Maggie likely made sure to anti-witch proof the town after leaving the gallery to go put the hex coins at the boys' hotel).

all in all a great episode. Plus Don (Spike/Marsters) got to kick some Leviathan azz!moreless

Where's David?

By paulmason5496, Jul 21, 2013

Pretty entertaining episode made a lot of sense for james matters and charisma carpenter to guest star, just wish there was more of them and maybe a boreneaz cameo

Yeah, okay

By Azzuritis, Dec 20, 2012

It was a good episode, magical beings dueling it out was really funny and I enjoyed Dean and Sam trying to fix the unhappy couple. However please Dean share your stupid guilt over killing Sam's first girlfriend and then get over it so we can get to the main part of saving Casteil and figuring out how to kill the black goo demon people.

Loved the Buffy reunion and everything...but this episode didn't do anything but add inconsistencies. And I'm a viewer who personally liked [[most]] of Season 7

By CharmedOneP391, Jul 21, 2012

*SPOILERS FOR LATER SEASON 7 EPISODES*

Look, Season 7 has been trying to add layers to the boys' relationship, such as Dean killing Sam's childhood friend, Sam killing Dean's (amazon) daughter, and this episode seemed to want to humanize a couple "monsters" that the boys would normally kill.

The end of the episode just didn't make sense and seemed out of character for both of these boys. This couple has murdered innocent people just to piss each other off, then one of the witches tells you what you did wrong and you don't try again. It just doesn't fit in with the past 7 years of the show. Dean murdered Amy in front of her son 2 weeks before this, but ends up letting these two murdering witches go.

That's why this episode wasn't good. You just can't ignore something like that.

And I'm not a hater, I'm not bashing the show, I've enjoyed most Post-Season 5 stuff. But this one just reeked of laziness, and Supernatural is better than that.moreless

Am I crazy?

By bmbusaf, Jun 24, 2012

Was Charisma Carpenter always such a horrible actress? It honestly reminded me of high school theater.

haters get over yourself .

By NeilStott1, Mar 30, 2012

all i have to say is ignore the haters . it was not a great episode but was not as bad as some people make out . im more than sure that when most of you see it you will enjoy it . i saw the 3 points lil miss whoever was tryna say but its just a tv show. one that you should sit back an enjoy . i saw nothing wrong with it . it was just a bit of fun for us to see old buffy and angel stars in it . especially the fact that these two buffy stars were hubby and wife was just interesting to see in the 1st place. they played their roles well and was just a bit of fun . you cant expect all episodes to be great . some will be ok . some will be bad . this was one was good . least this show is showing that its nowhere near old an repeating the same shit . i mean look at whats happening to dexter . love that show but its slowly dying . this is not anywhere near getting the ratings it deserves on tv.com. its much much better. just enjoy it and stop bein picky .moreless

HATERS BEWARE!!!!!

By SusanFrutschy, Feb 21, 2012

To the couple of haters who brothered to post how much they "love" this show but either picked on ridiculous points such as the length of the nails, & that only Dean can find the coins & a show shouldn't go past 5/6 seasons.....STOP WATCHING IT THEN!!! I personally loved seeing James & Charisma guest starring in these roles!! Thought it was a great, & quite amusing ep! I totally agree with NeilStott1, it's a TV SHOW people, & one of the best in recent memory!! It's meant to have humor injected, & parts that "just can't happen in real life...hello, it's called SUPERNATURAL for a reason!! I just don't understand "fans" who pick apart every little detail, complain about a show they supposedly LUUUUV, &then go on to say it should've ended years ago, but STILL. continue to WATCH IT!!! As with ANY show, some ep's will be better than others but as a whole, this show absolutely ROCKS!!!moreless

THIS was back to SPN's roots.

By Mischa, Dec 06, 2011

Last season they kept saying they were going 'back to basics' with the Winchesters. It wasn't until this episode that I actually felt that. Granted, most of it was the glorious reunion of the guest stars, but we also got a stand alone episode with a plot that hasn't been done before on SPN.

I loved the parallel between Sam & Dean's trouble communicating and the witches. I also loved that they showed neither witch was necessarily an evil being, and in fact saved the boys twice. Loved that, and I'd love it even more if, in the future, the boy's needed a witches expertise and called up one of these two. Not that I think that would happen, but I can dream.

Great episode overall. Really, the only thing missing was Cas and this is the first episode that didn't feel like it had a gaping Cas-sized hole in it.moreless

Agreed with lilmisstx, awful lazy writing!

By Darkflame2006, Nov 13, 2011

As funny as an episode this was, it was sloppy and badly written.

Just adding onto the points that lilmisstxhas already mentioned:

1) The female witch who is suppose to be 100's of years old, very powerful and intelligent actually tells Sam and Dean what they did wrong with the spell that would kill her and her husband.

2) It wasn't made clear how the coins work or weather or not the guy witch could use his wife's coins but at the end when he electrocutes and knocks out the Leviathan, if it was without the aid of his wifes coin then why do they use the coins in the first place if they are so powerful?

3) Finally as lilmisstx mentioned, only a few episodes ago Dean killed Sam's childhood friend because she was a monster, a killer and it was his duty as a hunter to kill her.

Yet he doesn't even bother attempting to chill the chicken feet and re-attempt to kill the 2 murdering witches who regardless of the guy's good intentions at the end, he still killed an innocent woman just to annoy his wife.

I can understand to an extent why they didn't kill the guy witch off simply because he helped Sam and Dean capture a Leviathan (something they previously couldn't do) and perhaps he will be a future ally?

Either way, it's still sloppy writing.

I enjoyed the episode but i couldn't help but laugh at the inconsistencies in the story.

Personally i believe a good series should never go past 5 to 6 seasons to avoid getting repetitive, slow and stale and allow it to end while it's still in its prime.

So many series carry on because of their popularity when they shouldn't, i fear Supernatural has now become one of them.moreless

It was so much fun to see James and Charisma playing a fighting married couple!

By tuamotu, Nov 08, 2011

And what made it all the more fun is that they are powerful witches! I really enjoyed their escalating war, and I was in stitches when Sam and Dean are trying to counsel them and getting psychic whammies for their trouble.

It was a great idea to have a married withces fight each other and causing collatoral damage, and a stroke of brilliance to have them played by Spike and Cordelia.

I was really happy when Don Stark comes back at the end and saves them from that levithian because hopefully that means he will be coming back on the show again. He was so good in this role, I would love to see him back!

moreless