The Devil You Know

Episode Reviews (17)

Superb

The brothers try to hunt down Pestilence with the help of Crowley.

By Canogaparkcindy, Feb 09, 2011

The brothers hit a snag while hunting down Pestilence, they meet a person that can get them to Pestilence, and that person is Brady, Sam's old college buddy who is now possessed by a demon. Turns out Jess dying was all one big set up to get Sam back to his old way. Brady was possessed when he introduced Sam to Jess only to take her away so he can go back to hunting, another eventful episode definitely. This episode was too similar to what Ruby did to Sam. Sam believed Ruby more than Dean. In this case, Dean left Sam for Crowley. The same situation. So it was kind of out of character on Dean's part to trust a demon. When Sam finds out about Brady, he tries to get his revenge, only to be interrupted by the thought of getting information to get Pestilence. The rest of the episode, they are just interrogating Brady. A hell hound tracks down Crowley, you think Crowley is going to leave them, but he brings his own hell hound to fight the hell hound that tracked them down. Since they saved Brady's life, Brady gives the address where Pestilence is at. Sam ends up killing Brady after getting the information. In the end, Crowley gives Bobby an offer regarding the fourth horseman, that he cannot refuse. He has to sell his soul to get the location of the fourth horseman, before he answers, it cuts to black. A good episode, that was just another step of the way to the Apocalypse. Good episode.moreless

The brothers get help from a demon to track down the remaining horsemen and Sam encounters a surprise from his past.

By petef20, Feb 09, 2011

As we're nearing the finale things are really beginning to get set in motion as Sam and Dean's search for the remaining horsemen. The "Then and Now" bit showed the horsemen and the Croatoan virus implying they would both play large parts here. This unfortunately wasn't the case, as they were barely a framework (especially the virus) to the episode and more of a setup for the final two.

What we did get here instead was still really good, just not quite what I was hoping for. I do like that Sam and Dean are seen actively searching for Pestilence as opposed to stumbling into the Apocalypse plot which has happened a lot this season. However their search is in vain until Crowley shows up to lend a hand. He was a great character earlier in the season and it was great to see him back. Sam constantly trying to kill him was played with the right balance of action and comedy that it worked nicely. Of course it did have Crowley doing the old off-screen disappearing trick. Obviously it's an artistic choice by the show to do this, but for shots like Sam swinging and Crowley teleporting behind him, not showing it really didn't work.

So Sam understandably doesn't trust Crowley whereas Dean does (reluctantly though). When Dean went with Crowley instead of Sam it had me thinking of Dean's "You trusted a demon over your own brother" line from earlier this season. However the difference here is that they really are out of options and Dean's questionable choice is understandable. Crowley and Dean's teamup to grab Brady was pretty fun. I was a bit surprised Dean wasn't angrier at Crowley for murdering the security guards, but maybe at this point he's accepted collateral damage. Crowley's trick to use Dean as bait to get Brady was fairly obvious I thought, but brilliant nonetheless! Crowley's "that's what you get for trusting a demon" line actually made him more trustworthy in a weird way. Certainly more honest about his end game which at this point I think we can take at face value.

Then however came the point of the story I wasn't so huge on. When Crowley said Sam and Brady had history I initially thought he was Meg in another body, but I was just a bit wrong there! Retcons are rarely a good thing. It's understandable that in a long running series the best way to give an emotional connection to a new character is to find a way to tie them into a story but more often than not it just feels forced. Now to be fair retroactively adding Brady into the show's continuity was far from bad. There was always a bit of a question about how or why Yellow Eyes killed Jessica, so having it be one of his lackeys made sense. Also that Azazel would've been keeping an eye on Sam also made sense, so it was done a lot better than similar situations on most other shows. However, it was nowhere near as good as previous tricks like this on the show. Quick examples: last season we found out Sam and Dean's mum had been a hunter. However at the end of season 2 we saw that Mary Winchester recognised the Yellow Eyed demon in Sam's nursery. Similarly this season we found out the Trickster was an Arc Angel, but a mere two episodes after his first appearance they did an episode about the possibility of Angels.

When rewatching the show seeing these things makes you think that maybe they were set up all along which gives more validity to it. I'm fairly certain Brady wasn't in the first episode (because I would've recognised Smallville's Eric Johnson) so it doesn't tie in well. Also wouldn't Sam have noticed if there was a demon around him for like two years? They seem to ignore it a bit now, but back then demons gave off sulphur as well as various other tells which you'd think Sam would've picked up on.

Sam eventually killing off Brady was an interesting bit. I'm not sure whether it was the best choice, but it worked for the character. Surely letting him suffer at Lucifer's hands would be a worse punishment (as well as possible save his old friend). But it all worked and was a cool scene. Also glad to see they've improved the demon killing effect, as it didn't look quite as good in the false profit episode a few weeks back.

The final scene had Crowley try to seduce Bobby. It's a clever trick to use a loophole in the deal making thing. However do any of us trust that Crowley would return Bobby's soul, or if he even can after completing a deal? The scene had me actually saying at the screen "don't do it, Bobby" and for any show to invoke a verbal reaction like that obviously they're doing something right. It was a cool cliffhanger to end on, as while Bobby might realise it's a stupid thing to do it may be the only option they have.

So this was a decent episode to move us closer to the final episode. While not the best use of a retcon it did still work and didn't hurt the overall story. Maybe a bit more action might've been nice here (still not a fan of the invisible hell hounds) but it all worked. With two episodes to go I'm confident the show can finsh this season with the high quality its had throughout.moreless

War makes strange bedfellows so when Crowley comes round with plans within plans to use the boys to save his own behind, well, things could get sticky. then again, blood usually does.

By sifichick, Feb 09, 2011

This was a strong ep chock full of major setups for the finale, as well as a few within the ep itself. **Spoilers ** We see the beginnings of a possible plan for getting Lucifer back into his box, not that Dean would let it happen, but... it's possible. We also see another shoestring being grabbed and ready to be tied in the guise of Bobby being made an offer by Crowley who is an interesting bad guy though not nearly as clever as he thinks he is. The fact that Sam and 'Brady' had some history didn't pack an iota of impact though, don't know why. I think it's because I knew Sam wouldn't let Dean down, so there was no real surprise. (Personally I would've liked it if Sam had indulged a little bit in some carving of his own instead of a little shaving nic) once he had Dean trapped in the bathroom. And for some reason, that Dean enabled Sam to take him out at the end, there just wasn't that satisfaction I was hoping for, maybe cause we figured the whole Jess thing was already resolved with Azazel's death... don't know for sure but. all in all it was a fair ep with some very strong setups. So good work Kast and Krew. And as always, special love to Jensen and Jared.moreless

This episode was just okay.

By tvfem76, Feb 09, 2011

***********Spoiler Alert***************************

I don't know what I was expecting from this episode but it didn't deliver. It felt like one of the longest episodes of Supernatural I had ever watched. I did find it funny that they had demons using a pharmaceutical company to try to spread the Croatoan virus. Other than the surprise with Brady and Sam having a past connection nothing really happened in this episode. I did like the O'Death trailer but I just hope that the final two episodes are much better than this one was. I can't wait to see the Winchesters meet Death and Pestilence.moreless

The "I Use To Date Lana Lang" Reunion

By lenzinoH20, May 07, 2010

The Devil You Know-To save humanity and demonkind alike, Crowley offers the Winchesters the location of the remaining Horsemen rings so they can trap Lucifer. However, Crowley's insider within the Horsemen camp has a change of heart and sends Pestilence to destroy the brothers.

With the final run of the season's episodes winding down, "The Devil You Know" doesn't really create that truly doom and apocalyptic feel of the past episodes, but it does have entertaining aspects to it:

-Mark Sheppard returns as Crowley and is hilarious for the most part when he isn't yelling. He pretty much steals the show from Dean and Sam this week. While Crowley is helping the brothers find the last 2 Horsemen rings, he obviously has his own agenda, especially his confrontation with Bobby toward the end.

-Eric Johnson guest stars and boy, has he come a long way from the early years of Smallville. I'm use to his All American, one-note performances on Smallville and his work on Flash Gordon wasn't much better. As Brady, he impressed me for the most part, especially his scenes with Sam. So Brady was sent by Yellow Eyes and was the one who killed Jess? Shocking, yes. But did we really need a revenge story for Sam at this part of the season? -Watching Brady and Dean interact was just hilarious to me considering both actors were on Smallville and the characters they played dated Lana Lang. I was half expecting Kristin Kreuk to pop out and break up their fight. lol

-That hellhound vs. hellhound fight was the oddest thing I've seen on this show yet one of the funniest, especially Crowley mentioning his was "bigger". lol

-Sam's little plan to stop Lucifer was an interesting development and would make for an awesome conclusion to the season if that happened. Just imagine Dean watching on as Sam was trapped in Hell with Lucifer inside his body. Would be a powerful cliffhanger! Nothing much to say about this episode, it wasn't bad, there was more talking about how to find the other rings than actual searching for the rings. It just seemed way too laid back knowing this is one of the final 3 episodes of the season. Next week, Death looks creepy as hell, the trailer was brilliantly put together. As for this week, one of the rare instances where Supernatural was just "okay".moreless

Trusting a demon...again

By entil2001, May 03, 2010

With only a handful of episodes left before the planned arc of "Supernatural" comes to a rousing finish, I'm a bit surprised that the urgency is not quite at the anticipated level. I had hoped, once the writers got the light-hearted fare out of the way during the first half of the season, that the second half would be a relentless drive to the finish. I think a lot of important ground has been covered, to be sure, but if the writers are still planning to wrap up the Apocalypse this season, it doesn't exactly feel like it.

That isn't to say that this is a bad episode, or that the writers aren't trying to bring the tale full circle. Crowley is a great recurring character, and if he survives, it will be interesting to see if he becomes a fixture of the sixth season. After all, even if Lucifer is tossed back in his cage and the real Apocalypse is postponed to a later date, the demons are still going to exist and will still be roaming the earth. Based on Crowley's offer to Bobby at the end of the episode, there's plenty of reason to think that the Brothers Winchester will have debts to pay once the big dance is over.

And bringing in Brady was an interesting idea. It's already been well established that Sam's current role was the result of a long-term plan going back generations, if not millennia. So it's no surprise that Azazel was manipulating Sam far more than realized. After all, if the death of a lover was something that Azazel thought would be needed to propel Sam in the right direction to become the perfect means of releasing Lucifer (his development as the Antichrist Superstar in the first two seasons being the prelude to Ruby's manipulations, in retrospect), then having a demon set Sam up with Jessie makes perfect sense.

With so little time, I was concerned that Pestilence might get short shrift. After all, we already know from "The End" that Pestilence unleashes the Croatoan virus on the world, and the means wasn't ground that really needed to be covered. Yet the methodology is clever and in keeping with the notion that the Horsemen use human weakness to bring destruction.

In this case, it is fear of infection and death from disease. I would have preferred a scenario that didn't play into the irrational conspiracy theories of the anti-vaccination camp, but it is a wonderfully ironic strategy. Spread a mild but potentially serious flu around just enough to start worldwide panic, and then offer a vaccine that actually holds the Croatoan virus. (My only quibble being that a latency period would be more effective to maximize spread of the virus before the homicidal tendencies begin.)

I even liked the notion that these characters can't stop trying to sacrifice themselves. It's a stark contrast to Crowley, who is wonderfully focused on self-preservation, but it's also a bit predictable after a while. At least it's still being offered in the spirit of active resistance vs. passive submission, which is consistent with recent events.

Sam's decision is a bit ridiculous, though. Sam is well aware of the fact that he was tempted to the dark side because he was meant to be ready to offer himself as Lucifer's meatsuit. Even though Sam stepped back from the brink, there's a huge part of him that is still tempted. If Sam were to go through with this plan, and somehow overcome the possessing power of an angel (not a demon, and a key difference), it would seem a little too convenient, given what has been established.

But it was interesting to see that Bobby seemed to consider what Crowley was saying at the end of the episode, even if he delivered a fairly strong rebuttal in the form of a rock-salt barrage. It would be a reasonably logical end to Bobby's long and difficult path this season, so it could be justified on that level. And for that matter, it would also be a sacrifice on the order of John Winchester's sacrifice, which would be thematically fitting.

So there was a lot to like about this episode; it's just that it seemed to end before coming to a strong enough conclusion to move the story towards the resolution of the apocalypse. The required story elements are still waiting to be triggered: getting the final two Horsemen rings and luring Lucifer back into his cage. Now only two episodes remain to make it happen. Unless the producers are going to break their promise and have the resolution spill over into the sixth season premiere (leaving the fifth season with a cliffhanger), I don't see how this can all be done without it feeling rushed.moreless

Already holding my breath for the finale.

By praeda, May 03, 2010

I still miss the Trickster, but I like what they've done with Crowley. I wasn't expecting to see him again, but they developed him well and brought him back in a way that didn't seem forced. I liked how from beginning to end he kept lying and proving that the boys couldn't trust him, but he never totally screwed them over. Hopefully Bobby knows that even if Crowley can help them find Death, he shouldn't count on getting his soul back. This episode seemed really tense, like the show is bracing itself for one hell of a season finale. Can't wait to see what they've got for us.moreless

Crowley returns

By angim350, May 02, 2010

Crowley is awesome! Yet another brilliant episode from Supernatural. This last few weeks have turned out top notch episodes; you only need to look at the top listed episodes to see this. Season 5 has been the best yet and season 6 will find it hard to top it. But I see no reason why it can't. If I have on gripe its how Sam was; he was really moody at the start. This didn't seem to make much sense; if anything its Dean who is usually obsessed with not trusting demons, especially when he thinks Crowley got Jo and Ellen killed. Yet how he was after was superb. So it was his best friend, possessed by a demon, that killed Jessica. 11th hour plot twist but it worked. A nice little continuinty there. Azazel really did like to mess around with Sam. Sam's plot, however, to try and take control of his own body is plain crazey. Has it not occured to him that the only reason he would ever say yes to Lucifer is if he was trying to trick him? He will fail, which I guess is why Lucifer wins Sam's body in the end. If he does, Dean will have to say yes to Michael. Will it honestly be a showdown between them for the final? If the pictures released are anything to go by, it would seem so. No Castiel again. And Bobby... NO!!! Selling his soul to Crowley!!! I'd have asked to be taken out of that wheelchair. I guess that's what he will ask for, albeit temperally.moreless

the episode where dean and sam find a demon that is going to help them get the other two horsemens rings

By callensgirl, May 02, 2010

i think this episode is a game changer bobby selling his soul to crowley and pestlnece and death walking free and around killing people and demons for their own pleasure .i really think that bobby dosen't need to sell his soul to crowley .why don't they just remove deans rib markings and death will come running sparing bobby . i think that sams plan about letting the devil posse him is not what he really wants to do but i think hes tired of watching dean gat his ribs kicked in and wants to help his brother but is this really what lucifer and michael wanna do ?moreless

Load More Reviews