The Girl Next Door

Episode Reviews (24)

Great

Bum bum bum...

By kramer0283, Jul 30, 2014

You killed Kaylee! I can't forgive Dean for that one! I know you're an ass but come on! Lol enjoyed the episode anyway.

With a bit of patience, a wtf ending...

By opalemeraldcat, Feb 28, 2013

I love Supernatural. And I loved following the characters through losing the house, getting a leg broken (Dean!), and in recovery (Sam, what are you seeing? 'cause we see none of it). This episode was good cool down for the non-extreme episodes of the seasons, and I liked a lot of it. Sam's first kiss (I'm assuming), some of Dean's quirks (pie, soap operas), and progress, however small, with the leviathans. Was it just me or did the cheese scene remind anyone else of when Khal Drogo killed Viserys on Game of Thrones? Anyway.

The sticker was the ending. At first I was insanely upset, and I've done that before, I've gotten over it. But I will NOT accept that sort of emotionally tortuous and angsty ending if it's not practical!! And unfortunately, it wasn't. How is the kid supposed to feed without killing people? Oh, Amy did it, you say. Yeah, we don't know how. The only superpower they have is pretty lame, getting spiky claws. Can't sneak in anywhere. I guess they'd learn to find corpses? hang around places where dead bodies get dumped? Did Dean think that through? If he killed the mother, he just gave the kid a huge reason to go out of control murderer. He had to kill the boy. But we all know he didn't... Anyway, I understand the point of that, but that loose end is going to bug me forever.

That said, I love the Doctor Who and (maybe?) Game of Thrones references, I loved the parallel between Sam and yet another of his monster lovers, and I enjoyed getting back on my feet with the gang for the rest of the season.moreless

A clever title goes here!

By martinzmei0, Dec 09, 2012

super im russia i like etot film

Compelling moral dilemma wrapped up in a flashback episode.

By EpicLoveStory, Feb 14, 2012

I usually like to focus on the fun stuff, but I read some great thinky thoughts about this episode. It sparked a lot of very interesting meta discussion. I really like it when the lines between good and evil are blurred. Amy saved Sam's life by killing her own mother, but once she is a mother herself she kills people to save her own son. You can't really blame her for that, but can you let her keep doing it? What happens next time her son gets sick, or she loses her job as a mortician, or something else compels her to kill again? But what if she saved your life once and is doing everything in her power to survive with her son without hurting anyone? Do you owe it to her to give her another chance? What is really interesting is that all the positions in this moral dilemma, Sam's, Dean's and Amy's, all seem equally defendable to me.

Great guest stars this episode. I ADORE Jewel Staite, and Colin Ford is such a talented young actor.moreless

Happy to see my youngsters

By Freindlymonster, Dec 30, 2011

I'm glad to see the younger Winchester boys again, since I haven't seen them in a while. I wish there was a bit more of the young Winchesters around. I like the plot a lot this time and defiantly miss the sad Sammy.

Sam hunts a woman he met nearly fifteen years ago.

By JaCkKbAuEr2424, Nov 05, 2011

Flashbacks are hit or miss. Sometimes, they can be a great way to reveal things about characters that enhance our knowledge of them. Sometimes, however, flashbacks don't do anything but drag us away from the narrative, making us wish we were in the present instead of the past. This episode of Supernatural uses flashbacks for the first time in awhile and I think it falls somewhere in between the two.

The problem with this one is the actors in the flashbacks. The people playing Sam and Amy seem incredibly stiff. Every time we jumped back to them, I was surprised at how little I was invested in their troubles. It seemed like every cliche in the book, from the way they met to the way they kissed. It was interesting how she ended up being a kitsune, which is some sort of creature that needs brains to survive (I feel like that was an X-Files episode or something). The story itself was pretty good. It was just the flashbacks and the way they awkwardly jumped back and forth.

And how about that ending? I know Dean is serious about hunting but what he did seemed a step WAY over the line. I sort of wish he didn't do that in one way because it makes him look vicious, but at the same time, it says a lot about what he think of Sam and his situation.

This wasn't a bad episode by any means, but it certainly wasn't great. There was just too many flashbacks for my liking and not enough good writing.moreless

The Girl Next Door

By TrueTvWatcher, Oct 29, 2011

The Girl Next Door was a perfect episode of Supernatural and I really enjoyed watching this episode because it blended the current and past story lines perfectly, the acting was excellent and there was lots of plot and character development. It was interesting to see Dean do what he did, and the Leviathan in the last scene did something shockingly fun and kinda twisted and I thank the writers. This episode feels like the Supernatural of the first few seasons yet fresh, current, and full of action, new drama and intrigue. I look forward to watching the next episode!!!!!!!!!

moreless

When I first heard about the episode, I couldn't wait to see it. A story seemed very promising from Sam's past and directed by Jensen.. What's not to like!That said, now I will - not criticizingly - go through the episode with you...

By RosyIvory, Oct 26, 2011

I just have few points to comment on story-wise..

I wished this episode would take place in the hospital and continue from where things were left last time. However, the episode was three weeks later. I was kind of disappointed because things were very hectic and cliffhanger- like and those couple of scenes in the beginning didn't quench my thirst. Things were solved shallowly.

I know that Dean is worried about Sam but he's treating his brother's condition wrong. I'm sensing impatience and mistrust and it's still only "the paint pealing off of the wall", that's not good plus what's he going to do later if it's like this now?!As for killing Amy behind Sam's back.. The first thing comes to me besides being angry with Dean, is the scene from last week episode when he begged Sam to believe and trust him. Now he wouldn't do the same for his brother! They have been through this trust issue before.. Didn't they (or he) learn yet?!

Killing Amy is a double-faced moral issue but the first thing comes to my mind is Leonore the vampire from S2 and how Dean let her go - not knowing if she'd stay "vegetarian" or not; moreover he felt guilty for all the nonviolent creatures he might have killed in the past. NOW he created a monster he could've avoided. Seeing his mother and food supporter die in front of his eyes, Jacob now might start killing people for survival (If not him, it would be the one who would raise him) or out of anger; and seek revenge on Dean for his mother.

This whole thing, the mistrust issue and killing Amy, will backfire on Dean.. If not Jacob himself it will something bigger. What if Sam knew? This could be a problem!.. And things could escalate if they bury their arguments as usual.

One last thing, I felt sad because Sam still sees himself as a freak. He WAS when he had demon blood in him, but now he's 'just' suffering much more than Dean did when he got back from hell. And if it is the way they live, then it's not just Sam who is a freak. How the writers keep pushing Sam into this plot, it just make me feel sad for him.

Can't wait to see what will happen with the Leviathans, they seem "wicked" smart.

As whole, I loved the episode. There were great and funny moments; and I loved how the flashbacks were, colored, cut and timed; and I just have to say how I loved the guest stars: Amy, young Amy and young Sammy - it's always good to see young Sammy in action.. They all were great!

Extra thanks to Jensen for giving this great episode beside his amazing acting; There were scenes I'd replay over and over. And thanks to Jared as well, and all the cast and crew.moreless

Great episode directed by Jensen!

By Katiki, Oct 18, 2011

I really liked how he handled the flashbacks. The present-day scenes were all grey-blue tones, whereas the past scenes were all sepia toned. The brilliant part was how he transioned between the two: by dissolving on the close-up of a face, the screen was filled by warmer beige tones, which merged seamlessly with the sepia filter on the past scenes.

I'm also really impressed that he did some great acting while directing for only his second time. I could keep rewatching the scene where he wakes up in the hospital all morphined-up and unaware of his leg cast. Jensen has always been great with even the little things--you really feel he's drowsy and disoriented and doped up.

Jared also did a great job with Sam's moral quandary. They really painted in the grey areas. The "monster" was sympathetic, but she was killing people, even if she was picking low-lifes and it was to save her son. And this leads to an interesting examination of Sam and Dean's respective chinks in their armour. Sam empathizes with others who, like him, are "freaks" through no choice of their own, but are trying to do the best they can with the hand they were dealt. Especially one with whom he had bonded over their shared freakiness when he was young. Dean, on the other hand, was much more brainwashed by his father's "If it's supernatural, it's evil and we kill it" edict than Sam. But he has his chinks as well. The first and biggest is of course Sam: "if you can't save him, then you have to kill him" to Dean means "never stop trying to save him." Also children, especially since he has been a father to Ben. Amy's son is also a kitsune, and presumably now that he no longer has a mother who is a mortician and can supply him with pituitary glands, will have to kill to survive. And yet Dean makes sure he has someone to go to and lets him go. This ending opens the door to lots of questions about where Dean is at right now. Killing Amy behind Sam's back seems more ruthless than Dean usually is. I hope there are answers.moreless

Load More Reviews