Episode Reviews (111)

100hang

By gmasterhang7, Jan 05, 2015

It's nice

By arkanitoo, Aug 21, 2014

This episode scares me. No, honestly it does. Wendigo really, properly scares me. Funnily enough it is hardly the darkest or most frightening of the stories from Supernatural, but it still manages to scare the crap out of me. Why, you may ask? Well it's entirely my own fault. As a child and young teen I was a bit of a mythology buff (still am, if I'm being honest) and so one day I was perusing the library in search of something new to read and came across an anthology of Native American Mythology. Well like a dummy I sat down to read it before bed and the first story I came across was that of the Wendigo. It was told from the POV of a young boy reciting the legend to a couple of his friends. He describes how the creature smells like rotten meat, feeds on human flesh, and will attack faster than you can blink. The story describes the boys getting trapped outside after dark and how before the Wendigo strikes it will hunt you down and call out your name. That is how you know you have been marked for attack. The tale ends with this line: of you may not believe that the Wendigo exists, but I know better. I'd seen the eyes, I'd smelled the smell, and I'd heard the scream that was probably the last sound Boomer Briggs ever Gah! It's still seared into my mind even after almost ten years!

So of course whenever I saw the title of this episode I shuddered and almost shut it off. Now that I knew what the terrifying creature from the beginning of the episode was I wasn't entirely sure I'd be able to handle this if I actually had to see the creature up close. And then Sammy turned up on screen and suddenly I set down the remote and settled back to go along for the ride. was worried about him with his nightmares and refusing to let big brother Dean help!

Favourite Moments & Random Thoughts:

- I'm very glad that they didn't just gloss over the effect that Jess' death must have had on Sam (and, by extension, Dean). All too often a drama will set up a tragedy and make you cry at the by the time the next episode has started things have all but been reset. Or the next episode sort of deals with the fallout, but then everything is hunky-dory after that. Not so with Supernatural. Aside from being extremely good at continuity, this show deals with emotions in a very realistic and organic sort of way (for a television show).

- Sam's nightmare made a reference to Carrie. I'm not much of a horror film person (I've said before - I have a weak stomach and cowardly tonsils) but I picked up on that just from the film history books I've read. Didn't make it any less disturbing, though.

- Dean's rather bumbling lying to that ranger is hilarious coming off of watching Season 9 where it's practically a second skin to him. Or perhaps it's a bit tragic...

- Haley and her brothers are obviously set up to be relatable in terms of the Winchester's plight in that they've lost their parents and can only rely on each other. I have a question about the youngest brother, though. Does he ever actually have a line to say? I just watched the episode again and I honestly don't know. Talk about an under-developed scene-filler!

- Authorities ruled the attacks out as a rogue grizzly. Of course they did.

- Dean doesn't do darn!

- At last I know how to properly pronounce the name of the creature that made me want to latch every window and wear earplugs to bed for a week! (The earplugs were so I couldn't hear it call my Silly me, it's pronounced just like it's written: Wen-dEE-go.

- A Wendigo emerges every 23 years? Huh. Guess I need to start moving every 20...

- "Did Bambi or Yogi ever hunt you back?" Gosh I love Dean Winchester's wit! Not only is it funny but it also helps to ramp up the tension as at that moment I knew Badass Ranger Rick was as good as dead. There are just certain tropes that accompany certain characters that herald their not making it to the end of an after you've explored so much television, film, and writing in general you learn to identify them.

- What I didn't see coming was Dean being grabbed by the Wendigo and both he and Haley's brother making it out alive. I knew Dean my money was really on What's-His-Face croaking it by the end of the episode. I love it when a show can play on my expectations and then subvert them entirely.

- It was wise of them not to show us the monster until the very end (and then only in shadows) because nothing could ever live up to our expectations and the imagination always creates the best horrors anyway.

There's really nothing else much to say about this episode. It had a solid story, fairly likeable characters, and the Wendigo's den made me nauseous. I did indeed spend a lot of the story peeping from between my fingers (and I'm never going camping but overall it was a great experience. The writing was good, Dean and Sam were adorable, and I can't wait for the next one.moreless

Awesome

By Sammy03456, Jul 08, 2014

It is so good l love it so awsome love

The Family Business

By WebSorve, Dec 31, 2013

It's not surprising to me that the second episode of "Supernatural" is not as strong as the first one. The story picks up almost immediately after the end of the pilot episode, as we find Sam and Dean on the road and journeying towards the location indicated by the coordinates they had previously found within their father's journal. The opening scene does a great job in setting the mood for this episode and gives us a very distinct notion that something unnatural and extremely dangerous is lurking in the woods. Also, the fact that the Winchester boys end up assisting a young woman in the search for her missing brother allows us to explore their own sibling dynamic, as Sam appears a little too eager to abandon the job at hand and continue the search for their father and Dean seems focused on tracking and killing this creature, as he not only believes that this is what they do, but also what their father would have wanted them to do. Their constant arguments and disagreements over it do a lot for character development and helps viewers find out more about who these guys really are and how they feel about the life that they lead. Unfortunately, the final confrontation between hunters nearly dooms this episode, as it feels rushed and could have been handled a whole lot better. Luckily, the soundtrack is still awesome and the supporting cast does their job well.moreless

Creepy Monster In The Woods

By lanamissy, Nov 06, 2012

OK, so the Wendigo was defiantly creepy looking but it was also pretty cool too. Forgetting the part where it eat human flesh (gross but interesting), I think it was a total bad a** hunter. But thankfully it couldn't take the brothers down. And the fact that it sets in the woods makes the episode one scary piece of art. An awesome second episodes!!!

By Askaninbr, Oct 11, 2012

Starting a tradition of weak second episodes, Wendigo is a good episode, but lacks a lot of characteritics that made SPN epidodes so great. Highlights go to the guys work and for the iconic sentence: "saving people, hunting things... Family bussiness"

In a strong second episode, Sam and Dean continue the search for their father following a clue noted for Dean in John Winchester's journal. This leads them to a national park, outside of a small town in Colorado, where several people have gone missing...

By SSA_Trace, Feb 02, 2011

At the opening of the episode, we see three friends out camping in the woods, at Blackwater Ridge Colorado. It's night and they're in their tents (incidentally, one of them is played by Cory Monteith who now stars in "Glee"). One by one, the campers are attacked by a growling entity, tearing apart the tents and surrounding foliage.

We then return to California where Sam is visiting Jessica's grave.. After moving to place a bouquet of flowers on her grave - in a Carrie-esque moment - a dirt covered hand shoots up to grab Sam and he snaps awake from his nightmare. We learn that after a week of fruitless searching, the brothers are on the road, following the coordinates their father left them in his journal, and heading to Blackwater Ridge, a national park in Colorado. Upon arriving, they speak to a Ranger who is disinclined to believe that anyone is missing. From there, the brothers then pay a visit to 'that Hayley girl' whom the Ranger mentioned as believing her brother was missing. As a close-knit family, Hayley (played by Gina Holden) plans to go looking for her brother and she hires a tracker, Roy (Callum Keith Rennie), to help them. Through research of local missing persons cases, Sam and Dean discover that every 23 years, people go missing at Blackwater Ridge and when Sam examines the last video that Tommy (Graham Wardle) sent his siblings, he discovers an incredibly fast moving shadow in the background which confirms their suspicions that something supernatural is taking place. They then interview the only survivor of an apparent 'bear attack' 46 years ago. Though only a child at the time, Shaw (Donnelly Rhodes) he tells the brothers of how his parents were dragged from their cabin with the roaring creature leaving him with a deeply scarred shoulder and a strong belief that something evil resides in the woods. The next day, the brothers insist on accompanying Hayley, Ben and Roy in their search and the group heads into the woods, where Sam and Dean are soon outed as not being the Rangers the claimed to be but explain they are looking for their father. Soon after reaching the torn apart camp site, their supplies are stolen and Sam and Dean realise that the creature who has taken the campers is a Wendigo. They settle in for the night until the Wendigo circles, tricking Roy into leaving the safety of the camp site and he is killed. In the morning the brother explain what they're up against, a once cannibalistic human, now an immortal superhuman creature that can only be killed with fire. They follow the Wendigo's tracks but the incredibly intelligent creature again tricks them, capturing Dean and Hayley. Sam and Ben follow Dean's trail of M n' M's to an abandoned mine that the Wendigo is using as its lair. Finding the captives alive inside, the brothers then try to get them out but the Wendigo again attacks. Will Sam and Dean be able to torch the creature or will they, along with the others, become the Wendigo's food before another 23 year hibernation? And if they save the campers, where will they go from here to find their father?

A great second episode with an excellent choice in depicting an evil creature (not a spirit like the pilot episode) that they brothers have to hunt and great further insight into the siblings relationship. What I liked about this episode is that is has 'explainers' included in subtle ways so we discover that the show isn't just going to be about the Winchesters searching for their father but also them hunting evil things and saving people along the way. Almost as though the first episode told us something of their past, this second episode seems designed to illustrate the direction the boys future will take. It also shows how the boys feel about their father, Dean with obvious respect, wanting to follow his orders whereas Sam is less obedient, wanting to find Jessica's killer.moreless

Weaker than the first episode

By BlandBrian, Dec 09, 2010

This would have been a fine episode if the viewer had never seen American television before. Unfortunately, I have seen more than my fair share and because of that, this episode came off very formulaic. There were no surprises and there were no lasting consequences. The creature effects were very poor. The producers of the episode probably tried to convince themselves that they were keeping the Wendigo shrouded in darkness to make it more mysterious. It's more likely that they kept it unseen because it looked cheap.

This still might be a good program to watch, but this wasn't an excellent showing.moreless

By dongwonlee, Dec 09, 2010

It wasn't as strong as the pilot. I thought it would be scary and stuff, but it wasn't that scary. The ending was a little weird. The Wendigo just burned and died. Just like that? The ending was somewhat weak.

I hope the next episode will be a lot more engaging.

Load More Reviews