Teachers

Show Reviews (29)

Good
7.9

Phil Hendrie was one of the few bright spots in this other wise uneven sitcom.

By kjrjr7811, Feb 29, 2008

I must admit I watched this show primarily for Phil Hendrie. I was a big fan of his radio program and I had hoped to see some of his characters make their way into the show. Sadly, Hendrie was under used. The rest of the cast was competent but I got the idea that the show was poured out of a mold. There was little that was new or innovative. The jokes could have come right out of unused scripts for Welcome Back Kotter or Head of the Class. In the end it was the afore mentioned Phil Hendrie who kept things interesting for me. I suppose I could listen to Phil read the phone book and laugh. The fact that I watched and laughed at Teachers proves my point.moreless

The jokes are second rated and the script is badly written. If this is truly based on the UK version , then why isn't the UK version as bad as this. I dont live in the UK or US. So I'm not one-sided.

By zahra_girl, Aug 04, 2007

I live in Holland.

We recently got Comedy central so i was known with the Us version so i began tuning in with the Chanel. We only get it from 6.oo pm to .... eh really late. Nickelodeon is on before.

So, some people at comedycentral decided to show Teachers on TV. I was hooked and i still am.

I went surfing on tv.com to see what would happen on the next episodes. Then i found out that there where two Teachers. The UK version and the US version. I thought that like the office, it would probably also be good. Well it wasn't.

I watched some episodes online and i was mad. (Don't ask me where i saw those illegal copies of them, i know the feds are on this site) LOL

But back to the point.

The UK version had a good storyline, it was original and the characters where almost as real.

The US changed it in a Sit-com. The storyline sucked and the personages where badly thought out. You couldn't relate to them and the jokes where second rated. And most of all, it missed the classical MONDAY, THUESDAY, WEDNESDAY, etcetera thing going on. I am not say that it was bad because the writers probably wanted to make there work different and to not copy everything from The UK version. I understand.

The other reason was the personages from both shows that where so different. Mostly all of the characters in the UK version where mad and bitter. There where annoyed by everything and who cant relate with that.

The personages from the US version where just so happy all the time. I dont blame the actors but the dam writers hoe wrote them to do this. The main guy, Jeff is mostly the main person everything is about him. The other personages are just there to make the hole thing pretty. They have no dept in so all and they just stand around him and nod there heads.

The script is also bad. It looks like it was written by some 11 year old kid how watches a Lott of FRIENDS and has English as third langues. They hold the hole show together with one-line jokes. The UK version didnt have that. The hole situation was funny. How they acted on it, how the saw it. Their personalities. They reaction was something that there characters would totally do. Everything was thought out. That one is different to the other. They all had one personality in the US version except for Dick. He is the only reason that i watched the hole six episodes. Dick is probably the best made character in the hole show. The English women is just ignorant and prejudicial. Not all English persons are like that.

The UK version looked and was shot like a reality show. But the writers could make the script and make it better.

The actors where good and acted good considering the material that was given. I blame the writers. They had a good start by stealing it from the Brits but they just made it bad. I am only 14 but i know what i like and i have a stick and selective taste in things. If you can get me happy, your show or movie must be the best. I dont look at thing and say without try that its crap because i do want to enjoy myself with something good.

My judgement was that the writers should be shot and that if someone ever wants to make such a dull show with some less dept in it, then they should get arrested. It is probably my fault that i think that this is so bad because i take things serious but if you want people to watch the show and wait during commercial breaks to see what is happening then you should make a good show. But hey, I'm dutch but and i should not give a damm about this but NBC is probably going to sell it to some dutch channel then we are forced to watch it.

So, god this is long, they had a good beginning but they made i worst.

What do i write long reviews. MMMM...HIHImoreless

A fantastic show...not necessarily very real and maybe not accurate but totally hilarious all the same!

By MissNoNickname, Jul 11, 2007

Six teachers at an American public high school:

The man who pretends not to care and is a terrible flirt. A tubby man who's blunt, pessimitic but cares more than he lets on. A do-gooder English woman who follows the rules and cares too much. A black man who comes across as a bit simple, and a sidekick who follows along. The sexy substitute who becomes permanent. And the brown noser who thinks a lot more of himself than everyone else. Throw in a headmaster who hates her job and you have the perfect combination for a laugh.

This show had me in stitches. It only had six episodes (and they're only 20 minutes long, minus ads) but it was hilarious! The humour was sometimes just plain corny...but you just had to laugh. At times dorky, mean and odd however all thrown in together it is so worth watching. It may not appeal to some people, as it isn't necesarily an accurate depiction of teaching. But that aside, it is very well-written and definetely unique! Pity some of my high school teachers weren't this entertaining!moreless

great show

By trinity333, Apr 21, 2007

it just needed to be given a chance.it just needed to be given a chance.it just needed to be given a chance.it just needed to be given a chance.it just needed to be given a chance.it just needed to be given a chance.it just needed to be given a chance.it just needed to be given a chance.it just needed to be given a chance.it just needed to be given a chance.it just needed to be given a chance.it just needed to be given a chance.it just needed to be given a chance.it just needed to be given a chance.it just needed to be given a chance.it just needed to be given a chance.it just needed to be given a chance.it just needed to be given a chance.it just needed to be given a chance.it just needed to be given a chance.it just needed to be given a chance.it just needed to be given a chance.it just needed to be given a chance.it just needed to be given a chance.it just needed to be given a chance.it just needed to be given a chance.it just needed to be given a chance.it just needed to be given a chance.it just needed to be given a chance.it just needed to be given a chance.it just needed to be given a chance.it just needed to be given a chance.it just needed to be given a chance.it just needed to be given a chance.it just needed to be given a chance.it just needed to be given a chance.it just needed to be given a chance.it just needed to be given a chance.it just needed to be given a chance.it just needed to be given a chance.it just needed to be given a chance.it just needed to be given a chance.it just needed to be given a chance.it just needed to be given a chance.it just needed to be given a chance.it just needed to be given a chance.it just needed to be given a chance.it just needed to be given a chance.it just needed to be given a chance.it just needed to be given a chance.it just needed to be given a chance.it just needed to be given a chance.it just needed to be given a chance.it just needed to be given a chance.moreless

THIS WAS A GREAT SHOW.

By JC_Argue, Mar 04, 2007

I found out about this show a little too late and only got to see a few episodes, but i loved it. I was absolutely heartbroken when it was cancelled. I really, really hope that they put it out on DVD...(im crossing my fingers and wishing really hard *). I wish my teachers had been that entertaining when i was in school.

Anyway, the humour may not have been everyones cup of tea but it certainly was mine. Sometimes it was subtle and other times it was kind of dorky, but i still loved it.

I miss this show! Please come back...moreless

A bunch of sycophantic, childish teachers and administrators ineptly run a middle school in the UK. Subtle beyond understanding. If watched without sound one would probably believe they were watching a drama, not a side splitting, dark comedy.

By delprofundo, Jan 10, 2007

The second seasons cast change at first was hard to take, this isn\\\'t unusual of course. You come to love the cast of a classic and cant bare to see them go.

How does one describe a sublime dark comedy classic? Well firstly its influences are clearly the modern animated series such as Family Guy. The subject matter sings of that usually reserved for drawn shows. Freezeframe fun and background madness is something rarely seen. The mix of characters who are forced to live together in a school where the children don\\\'t seem to exist, let run free and destroy and degrade anything they choose.

More than a simple sitcom about teachers, this living classic looks, tongue deeply pressed into cheek, at the inner workings of the minds of those who teach children in an almost invisible public school. Clearly traumatised by their choice of career their chosen paths are simply to humiliate the others who made the same grave mistaken choice.

Dark and in some cases shocking this is one show that you simply must see to believe. But remember, you need to actually WATCH it or it will just pass you by.moreless

Another blah show

By fiveironbell, Oct 31, 2006

There are no good sitcoms anymore (except for Scrubs and the Office). I'm only 15 and I've figured that out.

Teachers is no exception. I watched every episode down until the end, optimistic that it would get better. Unfortunately, this was not the case. It had the nerve to call itself a sitcom, yet I found myself laughing about .5 times per episode. The timing on the actors' behalf was okay, but the jokes were predictable and lacked wit. In short: Teachers was just not funny.

The actors were decent but at times dull. As for writing, that wasn't all that great either, but the plots were usually okay. Oh well, at least the world only had to put up with 6 episodes.moreless

I hate this! They were given the best premise and an amazing cast but the acting and writing sucked!

By dude6363, Sep 03, 2006

I tried to like this! I really did. I watched about 4 episodes but once Less Than Perfect started it's mid-season I was out of the classroom! They were given the greatest premise. Teachers! What are they doing in the break room? They aren't really as boring as they seem! They real live goings of teachers! Come on! They had a gem here. It wasn't people didn't give it a chance because I don't know about everyone else but I did. The writing! Don't get me started! It was yuck! They had a great cast. The main guy, that chick from Meet The Parents. I don't know the names but I have seen them in other stuff and the only person doing any acting was that chick from Meet The Parents when she want's Ben Stiller to check his bag and they had a fight. She was th only one doing any acting. Give her a show that i'll watch. I gave it a swinging chance and I feel like it didn't even try. I really wasnted to love this show because the premise rocks but you failed. This show is a real shame....moreless

this show is about a bunch of Teachers trying to make a living.

By scrubsfan88, May 31, 2006

honestly,I dont understand why they have laugh tracks.I was about to shoot myself!this show has no storyline and I didn\'t even laugh at anything they said during the whole series.Thank god its over!if NBC ever picks up a sitcom like this ever again following Scrubs,i\'m going 6 channels up to say goodbye to teachers and hello to doctor House.Was there supposed to be a romance going on?Also, scrubs is one of my favorite shows,but how could a hilarious writer like the one on scubs come up with something like this.What I do know is that NBC made the right move letting this one go.moreless

It "could" have gotten better. But most people groaned and switched the channel the first time they heard a pun or a laugh track.

By eds_poofed_hair, May 15, 2006

This show was doomed from the start. The writers could have at least taken a look at real teacher life before writing this show. Some of the stuff are just implausible (drinking in school, golf, a substitute becoming a full-on teacher "just like that") and ridiculous beyond humor. All of the characters are poorly drawn (why is there a random British teacher?) and the main character has a huge foible: most of the time he is ridiculous and immature beyond reason, but we are supposed to believe that he has his "serious" moments. For the main character in Scrubs, I can believe it, but this show just won't Sitwell with you. It sure didn't with me.

They made a huge mistake.moreless

Load More Reviews