News Briefs: Daniel Sharman Is Leaving Teen Wolf

By Kaitlin Thomas

Mar 26, 2014

BEACON HILLS POPULATION: CONSTANTLY DWINDLING

... Two werewolves, a banshee, and a Stiles are pretty much all that's left in Beacon Hills after Teen Wolf's third season, which concluded last night with a bloody finale. Daniel Sharman, who's played Isaac Lahey, Beacon Hills' top cheekbone model since Season 2, has decided not to return for Season 4 of the hit series, which premieres on MTV on June 23. He specifically asked not to be killed off, though, should he want to return to the series at a later date.

[SPOILERS AHEAD SO STOP READING IF YOU'RE NOT CAUGHT UP]

Sharman's departure from the series comes just a week after the series killed off Allison Argent (Crystal Reed) after she asked to leave the series to pursue other opportunities. Twins Max and Charlie Carver also won't appear next season given that Aiden died in the battle against the Oni and Ethan chose to leave Beacon Hills as a result (both brothers will appear in HBO's upcoming series The Leftovers). I think I'm going to start a support group to deal with all this news; we'll meet on Monday nights pm at my place. BYOBAT (bourbon and tissues). [E! Online]

BUSINESS TIME

... BBC America, home of the REAL clone wars, is trying its hand at comedy. The network has ordered Almost Royal, its first original laffer, about two British aristocrats who travel to the United States for the first time. Ed Gamble and Amy Hoggart will play siblings Georgie and Poppy Carlton, distant relatives of the royal family who arrive with a camera crew to document their unofficial royal tour of the States. The network says it's not a "straight sitcom" because the actors will interact with people who are non-actors. Look for it to debut June 21 at 10pm following the Season 2 finale of Orphan Black. [EW]

... For every good thing MTV does (like blessing the world with Teen Wolf), it does something else that makes me cringe and weep for the future of humanity. The network has renewed freshman reality series Are You The One? for Season 2; the show is described as a "social experiment" in which 10 females and 10 males are tasked with finding their perfect match via a series of various tests, including physical attraction and personality traits. So far the only thing I can see that these men and women have in common is a lack of dignity. [Deadline]

... In a laughable move, Showtime's Shameless, which has been enjoying (that might be the wrong word) its darkest season yet, will compete as a comedy at this year's Emmys after submitting as a drama for the previous three seasons. The move is a strategic one, because the comedy race is much looser, but I have to wonder if the Gallaghers bribed or drugged the Television Academy in order to get this approved. Shameless has always been billed as a dark comedy, and I'd have agreed with this decision in other years, but it's a little too hard to condone in what has arguably been Fiona's most dramatic season yet. But with that said, I'll still be rooting for Emmy Rossum come July when the nominations are announced, if only to get the perfect headline out of the news. [TV Line]

... In keeping with the Emmys theme, here's some more news on that front: HBO has decided to submit its acclaimed anthology series True Detective in the drama category rather than the much easier miniseries category, which has been home to FX's similarly formatted American Horror Story for the last few years. Maybe it's foolish to think True Detective will be able to pull out a win over the final eight episodes of Breaking Bad or Netflix's House of Cards, maybe Matthew McConaughey really wants to beat Bryan Cranston, but I think we can all agree that HBO has bigger cajones than FX. Now how about a Season 2 renewal, HBO? [THR

... The Hub announced today that "musical superstar and TV personality Joey Fatone" (it's pronounced Fa-Tone) will host the network's newest unscripted series Parents Just Don't Understand. The reality show will give parents and children the opportunity to walk in each other's shoes, which is silly because parents have much bigger feet and that's just asking for children to make fools of themselves on national television. Anyway, Fatone was chosen because he is a "cross-generational performer with broad appeal." His most recent TV credits include The Singing Bee, Dancing with the Stars, JoJo’s Circus, Higglytown Heroes, and Hannah Montana. [The Hub via press release]

... Last night's penultimate episode of How I Met Your Mother, which featured the long-awaited wedding of Robin and Barney (and which I reviewed right here!) brought in 9.1 million viewers and a 3.4 rating in the 18-49 demographic. That's a 17 percent rise in week-to-week ratings. Booyah! [TV Line]

... AMC is finally getting a move on its new development slate, and has hired directors for its Knifeman and Galyntine pilots. Knifeman is a drama set in 18th-century London that follows John Tattersal, "a hard-drinking, hard-living man not afraid to push the boundaries of modern medicine, even if it takes digging up a few graves to do it." The pilot will be directed by Brian Percival (Downton Abbey), who I've been assured is not a relative of Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore. Galyntine is a future-set project in which "a cataclysmic, technology-induced disaster has created a new society that eschews any form of technology"; that one will be directed by David Mackenzie (Starred UpPerfect Sense). [AMC via press release]

CASTING NEWS

... This is more like anti-casting news, but current Grey's Anatomy stars Gaius Charles and Tessa Ferrer will not be returning as series regulars next season. ABC has opted not to renew their contracts, and it's currently unknown whether or not they'll appear as guest-stars in the future. [Deadline]

... Nick Frost, frequent collaborator of Simon Pegg on projects like Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, has landed the lead role in Fox's Sober Companion, a new comedy pilot in which he'll play an alcoholic attorney. As the title may've already given away, Frost's character is assigned a sober companion—played by Justin Long—so that he'll be able to keep his job and make a full recovery. [EW]

... Debra Jo Rupp (That '70s Show) has joined Geoff Stults in the cast of CBS's new comedy pilot Cuz-Bros. Rupp stars as Merle, the widowed mother of Stults' Nick, a successful sportscaster in Los Angeles. Nick's life is turned upside-down when his less cool, less suave cousin moves in with him. [Deadline]

... Joining Jason Isaacs and Anne Heche in USA's new six-episode series Dig is singer-songwriter and actress Alison Sudol (Other People’s Children). She'll play Emma Wilson, an American intern who's working on the dig site in Jerusalem where Isaccs' Peter, an FBI detective, discovers a 2,000-year-old conspiracy that threatens to change history as we know it. [USA via press release]

• Comments (59)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • Kerkesh Mar 26, 2014

After some cogitation, I thinketh that changeth to TW's cast might be beneficial.

• littletruckie Mar 26, 2014

The timing seems awfully coincidental. I think it was the break-up that prompted both of their departures. Crystal was very open and honest about Daniel ending the relationship and said she was "devastated." She went to Paris alone for several weeks to recover from the split, and shortly thereafter asked Jeff Davis if she could be released from her contract.
    In August, shortly after the split, Crystal was asked by an interviewer how she prepares to play a 17-year-old (she's 29). She responded, "I date immature men." She also said Alanis Morisette's 'Jagged Little Pill' was her post break-up anthem. It's obvious the split was not an amicable one. At least at that time.
    The decision to leave was likely, at least in part, an emotional one. Jeff Davis was very gracious to release Crystal from her contract, a lot of producers wouldn't do that. Ironically, from interviews it sounds like Jeff Davis wrote Allison & Isaac into a relationship because he could see they had "chemistry." But then the actors break up and it blows up in his face. I guess that's a risk you take when you date a co-star. If things go badly...

Teen Wolf will be fine, but I feel bad for the writers, cast and crew that have no control over situations like this, and are affected the most. It has to be even more frustrating for them than it is for the fans.

• RenuSingh Mar 26, 2014

why? no alison; no isaac; what is happening? :(

• AdeleTeras Mar 26, 2014

What? No Isaac? :/ boooo

• KevinG87 Mar 26, 2014

not Isaac too! atleast he asked not to be killed off, which I'm sure Jeff Davis happily agreed to so he could bring him back to take his shirt off 50% of the all the time and be beaten on the other half.

Shameless can be comedic but it's still not a comedy, especially this year... unless the Emmy people think drug use, liver failure, and accidental child overdose is hilarious...

I had to look up Alison Sudol, name sounded familiar.. maybe should've mentioned A Fine Frenzy lol

• LucaMaltaglia Mar 26, 2014

I love Shameless but I hope it's doesn't get any nomination as a comedy. especially for this year.

I find cute that Daniel sherman asked not to be killed off :)

• LuisQuiroga Mar 26, 2014

Teen Wolf: well, it's actually: two werewolves, a werecoyote, a thunder kitsune, two banshees, two druids and a Stiles, plus whatever Deputy Parrish turns out to be.

• TrevPlatt Mar 26, 2014

Stults' new comedy needs a different title because Cuz-Bro is one of the shitest I've ever heard!

• rye06p Mar 26, 2014

I hope now that four cast members have left Teen Wolf, Danny will have an expanded role. Especially with the reveal that he knows all about the supernatural goings on in Beacon Hills.

• spacificly_oei9 Mar 26, 2014

WTF: why the hell is everyone leaving Beacon hills? #TeenWolf
    WTF: Possibility of Enlisted being cancelled really sucks and the fact that Geoff Stults is leaving ISN'T helping. It is one of the funniest, original concepts in modern TV. Unacceptable.

• See More Comments (33)